cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Blu phone

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Blu have just announced a new phone which looks like good value and decent specs for the price. Priced at USD150 or promo right now at USD100, I wonder what it will cost here?

Full review here: https://www.reviewgeek.com/46019/blus-g90-has-a-big-screen-and-triple-cameras-for-150-or-100-if-you-...

5 REPLIES 5

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The G90 runs a MediaTek Helio A25 octa-core processor, 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage, and additional capacity in the MicroSD card slot. It is a dual-SIM phone with a 4000mAh battery. It also has a rear-mounted fingerprint reader rather than the problematic under the screen version that others have tried. It also has a triple rear camera array: 16MP main shooter, 8MP wide angle, and a 2MP depth sensor. The front camera is 13MP. And it runs Android 10.  Fit and finish appear good as well.

All decent specs, IMO and as good, on paper at least, with phones double the price.

I see last years G9 model listed for CAD400+

Now if only I could find a retailer that carries it 😁

@Naepalm wrote:

Specs on it look respectable and android 10 out of the box. hmmm. 

How long do budget phone last usually?

Depends on the model, of course.

Budget phones are designed around a price point. So usually tech one or two generations behind plus one or two bolt-on Impressive Hardware Features like Huge Screen, Great Camera, or High Grade Music/Audio. The Impressive Hardware Feature(s) tend(s) to suck the battery dry pretty quick, and Big Screen means Big Form Factor with Big Battery ... but it tends to be something "cheap" with low energy density so about a year before it rapidly loses ability to hold much charge.

I've used a bottom-end SKY, a bottom-end RCA, and a bottom-end Huawei. All of them had clunky software and bloat. All of them ended up refusing to hold charge for more than half a day of idle after about a year. All of them promised 16GB (or whatever) of storage but in actuality started to complain and malfunction after less than a few GB were actually filled up.

I think the trick is to only buy the low-end when you urgently need a cheap working phone right away, but then plan on getting something better within a few months. If you hang onto these things too long they're just going to frustrate and junk out on you when you need them most. (I only bought them when I needed a "temporary" "disposable" sort of phone which I expected would get destroyed at heavy industrial job sites, lol, but alas it seems I've become too careful with them so they actually don't get abused and wrecked as quickly as expected.)

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jimbobs 

BLU G90 supports the following bands according to https://www.gsmarena.com/blu_g90-10313.php

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
4G bands1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 28

Telus Mobility LTE Frequencies and Bands:
700 MHz Band 12, 13, 17, 29
850 MHzBand 5
1700/2100 MHzBand 4
1900 MHzBand 2
2600 MHzBand 7

3G 850MHz, 1900MHz

This phone should works with PM.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks for the info, but I think better buy big company's products, like Samsung etc.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@jimbobs 

looks good I am not familiar with blu personally I wouldn't buy it because  I am not familiar. But I'll look into it. Thanks for sharing. 

Specs on it look respectable and android 10 out of the box. hmmm. 

How long do budget phone last usually?

cheers

Need Help? Let's chat.