cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a new phone, here are the criteria:

ghune
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My great Nexup 6P is getting old and I have to be prepared in case it stops working. I saw that the Nokia 6.1 and the Nokia 7 (2018) meets all my criteria (near stock Android/Android One program, jack, mid range phone).

Would they work on PM?

Nokia 6.1

Nokia 7 Plus

Edit: it seems that the 6.1 is compatible, but not the 7 Plus... too bad.

Compatibility Nokia 7

8 REPLIES 8

SoulTraitor
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm a big fan of the Xiaomi Mi A1 but depends on your use case. 4G might be hit or miss cause it doesn't have all the bands but on 3G it works very well. It's also price conscious ($180-$230) and runs on stock android.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I hate to disagree with @stonechucker but I can't in good conscious recommend a phone that doesn't have a fingerprint reader in mid-2018.  I know some won't care, but if you've had one before you're realllly going to miss it.  I use mine many, many times a day (probably about 50/50 face unlock vs. fingerprint unlock on my OnePlus 5T).

I seem to recall other complaints in the reveiws as well, though admittedly I don't recall the details.  In short, I think for most people, there are better options than the Q6.  No offense intended, stonechucker.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I'm pretty happy with my LG q6 - other than the rear speaker, and not stock Android - however, I use Nova Launcher (paid) from the Play store, and it makes me think it's essentially stock.

I'm picky about my devices - I do like this one.

@srlawren wrote:

@ghune I'm not sure if it still qualifies as a "mid-range" phone, but the OnePlus 6 checks all your (other) boxes on that list as well.  OxygenOS is stock-like, it has a headphone jack, and it's well a bit higher than mid-range admittedly.  It's flagship for performance but midrange for features [meh, who really needs wireless charging, an ingress rating, etc] and upper-midrange for pricing. 

Until a better value device comes along, I would continue to shill the Xiaomi redmi note 5 AI.  At $250 all in, there's nothing that comes close to it on specs.  

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ghune I'm not sure if it still qualifies as a "mid-range" phone, but the OnePlus 6 checks all your (other) boxes on that list as well.  OxygenOS is stock-like, it has a headphone jack, and it's well a bit higher than mid-range admittedly.  It's flagship for performance but midrange for features [meh, who really needs wireless charging, an ingress rating, etc] and upper-midrange for pricing. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ghune
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks a lot for the quick answer!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ghune wrote:

My great Nexup 6P is getting old and I have to be prepared in case it stops working. I want a phone that:

I saw that the Nokia 6.1 and the Nokia 7 (2018) meets all my criteria (near stock Android/Android One program, jack, mid range phone).

Would they work on PM?

Nokia 6.1

Nokia 7 Plus

Edit: it seems that the 6.1 is compatible, but not the 7 Plus... too bad.

Compatibility Nokia 7

The discussion said band 7 was available.  Band 7 is not nearly as prevalent as band 4.  I would avoid anything without band 4.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

According to the review comments, the 6.1 is more compatible.  It has bands 4, 5, 7 LTE compatibility.  The 7 plus had only band 7.  Band 4 is the important band.  That one is most popular.

Need Help? Let's chat.