cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO GPS Signal while using Google Map

Chiny
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Please has anyone encountered a situation while transiting on the road with the Google map, your GPS signal is lost over and over again and you have to constantly input your destination all over again and start the trip from the beginning. If yes, Please how did you handle the situation to stop the signalfrom disappearing and if no, I need a fix as this has caused me a lot of delay during Transit. Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Are you surrounded by many tall buildings or going indoors / underground? That's the only way I can imagine GPS signal problems.

GPS is received from US military satellites in space. It's not related to the cellular network. Although as mentioned by others, assisted GPS (A-GPS) can be used to locate you as well... But accuracy is best with GPS satellites.

It sounds like a phone hardware issue, or location permission issue. Either way, the problem is on your phone, not on the network.

@Chiny wrote:

Please has anyone encountered a situation while transiting on the road with the Google map, your GPS signal is lost over and over again and you have to constantly input your destination all over again and start the trip from the beginning. If yes, Please how did you handle the situation to stop the signalfrom disappearing and if no, I need a fix as this has caused me a lot of delay during Transit. Thank you.

I do not believe this be a Public Moible issue, but more likely one with either the device or its software. Your phone does not even need a sim card installed or working Public mobile service for GPS to work/for there to be a GPS signal.

I understand that you do need an internet connection to be able to load maps, but many mapping applications can now be used in offline mode if maps are pre-downloaded.

Many Android phones have high accuracy GPS mode disabled by default to save battery power.  This means that the phone's internal GPS antenna is often disabled. Enable high accuracy mode so that the internal GPS antenna is also used in conjunction with the cellular network to provide GPS cooridinates and see if that helps any.

Chiny

Ok. will try that and see if it works.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I'm going to recommend backing up your data and factory resetting the phone if the issue still persists contact Samsung, is the phone still under warranty?

@ChinyGoogle Maps also use wifi access points to pin point your location (which is more accurate than GPS once the mapping company had mapped the APs), so make sure you have given Google Map wifi access. As long as you have data / phone access, it is not Public Mobile's perview. I think it is best to go to a Samsung specific forum.

Another suggestion is install another mapping app Mapquest, Waze etc to see if the problem replicates in different apps to narrow down your issue.

Chiny

I hope its not. Phone is barely a year old.

Chiny

S9+

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

What phone do you have? I know LG G5 phones are prone to GPS failing.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Chiny wrote:

@Chiny sounds like a hardware issue with your phone. Defective GPS chip more than likely best to get a new phone.

Chiny

Thank you so much for sharing. will try the solution and see if it works.

@Chiny 

I just did a quick google search.  Here is one thread that offers various troubleshooting fixes...

https://support.google.com/maps/thread/7137747?hl=en

Chiny

Google map is up to date. Phone software is up to date as well. Am so confused as to what might be the reason for such. I also rebooted my phone over and over agin. Yet the challenge still persists.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Chiny 

That is annoying for sure.  Likely a phone issue.... phone or software....

Maybe update your Google map app.  Reboot your phone.  Update your phone operating system.

Need Help? Let's chat.