cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My unlocked phone says SIM not supported

thelawfox
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought a SIM from PM about a week ago and on activating it and putting it in my phone (Android) I get a message saying SIM not supported. 

I thought it was a lock issue but now that I got it unlocked it still doesn't work. When I put another SIM in my phone it works fine. Also the PM SIM I bought doesn't work in other unlocked phones so is the SIM just dead? Should I buy a new one or is there something I'm missing?

Help appreciated, thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

thelawfox

@srlawren ah gotcha 😕 too bad! But thank you and all other responders for help! 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@thelawfox wrote:

@srlawren Ya the phone is from France, and from that site linked to it seems 2G isn't supported with PM.

@thelawfox this is correct.  Unless the phone happens to support 850MHz and 1900MHz 3G frequencies (also called B5 and B2), it will not work with Public Mobile unfortunately.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

thelawfox

@srlawren Ya the phone is from France, and from that site linked to it seems 2G isn't supported with PM.

thelawfox

Hi, I completed the verification process. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mh1983 wrote:

OP, did you try https://willmyphonework.net/ ? Could be unlocked but work w/ the supported bands.

@mh1983  I was thinking the same thing.  @thelawfox by chance, is the other provider SIM (the one that works) from Rogers or Fido or Chatr?  Is the phone from overseas?  If so, it's quite likely it was only working on Rogers' 2G GSM network; as Rogers is the only provider in Canada operating a 2G GSM network (for now, it's going away sometime next year), if this is your case, you can only get service from the Rogers family of brands that I previously mentioned.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@mh1983, ah yes, my vision caused me to misread again.

Thanks for correcting me.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

@thelawfox, Public Mobile doesn't sell phones, where did you buy it?  If the device is locked, another SIM could well work in it.  Which company was the SIM for?

I don't think @thelawfox mentioned anything about buying a phone from PM. 

OP, did you try https://willmyphonework.net/ ? Could be unlocked but work w/ the supported bands.

@thelawfox, Public Mobile doesn't sell phones, where did you buy it?  If the device is locked, another SIM could well work in it.  Which company was the SIM for?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is a strange one.  Since the moderator team is on this one, get them to confirm the account is in good standing and that will eliminate that as a problem.  SIM cards are robust and don't fail so easily.  The fact that a not supported message was generated says the SIM was readable. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@thelawfox wrote:

I bought a SIM from PM about a week ago and on activating it and putting it in my phone (Android) I get a message saying SIM not supported. 

I thought it was a lock issue but now that I got it unlocked it still doesn't work. When I put another SIM in my phone it works fine. Also the PM SIM I bought doesn't work in other unlocked phones so is the SIM just dead? Should I buy a new one or is there something I'm missing?

Help appreciated, thanks!

Sounds like you have a bad sim. Go back to retailer and exchange for a new one. Good luck.

Need Help? Let's chat.