cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My sim card couldn't register on PM network

lfa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My SIM card works perfectly on PM network using my old iphone 4s (It has 3g option to set).
I could call and receive calls.
But I have a problem to use the same SIM card in my Samsung s20 plus phone.

I got a message that problem to register SIM card.

The phone finds the Public Mobile network and displays message that it's trying to register SIM card, but after several minutes of trying it stops with message SIM card is not registered.

It does not have an option to choose 3g network.

But instead it has the following modes:

LTE/WCDMA/GCM (auto connect)

WCDMA/GCM (auto connect)

WCDMA only

GCM  only

I have tried all above options, none of them works.

Now I put LTE/WCDMA/GCM (auto connect).

Another option is to to choose network provider.

It scans and finds Public Mobile.  I clicked on it and it couldn't register sim card.

Restarting of the phone didn't not help.

Turning ON and OFF airplane mode didn't help as well.
Could you help me? What should I do. Do you have s20 phone that working on PM?
Thank you in advance.

30 REPLIES 30

lfa

Thank you, @Anonymous 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JeanieC : A couple things to try. Can you login to your self-serve? Is your account showing as Active. Can you try the SIM in another phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lfa : I doubt it means ok. I tried on the Koodo and Telus checker and the page came back as fail like 404. Not a device...the page...the function. So I think the Telus/Koodo/PM checker is busted. But good of you to try the other companies and found nothing.

lfa

Thank you, @Anonymous for your help. I do not have a phone yet.  I asked a seller (market seller from Bestbuy.ca ) to send me IMEI number before shipping the phone, so I could check IMEI number first.  I checked IMEI number with all 4 big mobile providers and devicecheck.ca and they confirmed that IMEI is OK.  If result of the public mobile  tool "1:10" means OK, than I will ask them to ship it to me.  
I decided to test IMEI number of my old phone that I use right now and tt works with public mobile.  I got the same result "1:10".  This experiment shows that "1:10" means OK. Probably it's better to change the message on the tool, otherwise it will be too many confusions for others too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lfa : Seems to be broken. Also the Telus/Koodo one. They're probably connected. I know you're being a bit gun-shy but I would think it's more the exception than the norm that a phone would be blacklisted. Can you try your SIM in that phone? Hopefully you don't have contacts or texts stored on it.

JeanieC
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Card not registered on network. Was ok up to yesterday

lfa

Thank you  

for your help.  I may have a replacement phone.  I checked IMEI at DeviceCheck.ca and it shows that it's OK.  But https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started   shows me just  "1:10".  What does it mean "1:10"?  Is it OK? Thank you in advance.

@Anonymous wrote:

@lfa : I don't know where PM draws that blacklist from but I guess it didn't get reproduced up to an open registry like devicecheck. Too bad you have this hassle now but at least mystery solved.

The device might only be blocked by Telus, sometimes fo rinternal carrier reasons such as bill payments by a previous customer. It's also possible that devicecheck.ca just hasn't been updated with the most recent information. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lfa : I don't know where PM draws that blacklist from but I guess it didn't get reproduced up to an open registry like devicecheck. Too bad you have this hassle now but at least mystery solved.

lfa

Thank you

lfa_0-1618602068378.jpeg

, as you suggested, I clicked up top on Get Started and scroll down to the IMEI checker. And found that it's blocked, so I contacted seller (Best Buy market place) and they send me shipping label and I returned it. It's very interesting, that the following website didn't blacklist this phone: https://www.devicecheck.ca/consumers/.

Thank you again.

lfa

Thanks, I have done it, but no success

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lfa : How about shut down phone, pull SIM, restart phone, shut down phone, insert SIM, restart phone. Please report back any and all messages, errors, pop-ups that don't seem right. Please transcribe the exact words it gives.

lfa

Thanks,  I checked IMEI and phone is unlocked.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think you misread the OP's problem @LurganIeUk ...

The old iPhone 4s works fine, but is having an issue with the newer Samsung S20.  We're trying to figure out what aspect of the S20 is giving issues when trying to connect to the Public Mobile network.  If you have any other ideas for the OP, please share!  🙂

@esjliv wrote:

@lfa 

Could the phone be locked? Contact your previous provider to unlock it for you.

You will need your imei number, dial *#06# to get it.

Unless iPhone 4s was purchased at an Apple store it will have been sold in a locked condition. 

If in doubt I can give 3 tests to confirm. 

@superjay6 wrote:

it is not the sim card problem. it should be your phone. It may not suit for canada network.  Where do you get the phone?  

The network is there i the list. That means the phone is compatible.

superjay6

Good news ! you have actually actived and registered your sim card with PM. But it is your S20 not connect with PM Network.  You have done different tried. I would recommended your call the phone seller and check with them whether your S20 will work with Canada network

superjay6

it is not the sim card problem. it should be your phone. It may not suit for canada network.  Where do you get the phone?  

lfa

Device is unlocked and I checked it's not blocked.

BlueB

Good to hear it's not blocked... that's a start.  🙂  Here are some other ideas:

• Try another SIM card from another network (eg. Rogers, Bell)
  • Try another SIM card from Public Mobile (or Koodo or Telus, if available)
  • Test Wifi to see if you get any data going at all, and if so, consider updating the phone's firmware (if available + make sure you have it plugged in or lots of battery while attempting this)
  • Do a full Factory Reset on the phone
  • Try your SIM on your old iPhone again (just to make sure nothing funky has happened since)
  • Try testing the S20 in another location, just in case it has a bad signal/connection where you are

Feel free to let us know what else you've tried and we can give some other ideas, observations, or suggestions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lfa : And also click up top on Get Started and scroll down to the compatibility checker for here that also has an IMEI checker. There's a chance it could be different so worth a look.

@lfa wrote:

Thank you, I checked IMEI devicecheck.ca and it's not blocked

I would also check back with devicecheck.ca after 48 hours as there can be delay in the  database being updated.  Also, a device can be barred from connecting to a sepcific networks. That's why tryihg a different company's SIM card can be important. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@lfa reset your network settings

1. Open Settings>General Management>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings>Tap Reset Settings
If prompted enter your pin, passcode
3. Tap Reset Settings 1 more time to confirm
4. Restart

lfa

Thank you, I checked IMEI devicecheck.ca and it's not blocked

Hi @lfa  to add to the suggestions above that your phone might be blacklisted, please check it here

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Good luck

RosieR

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@lfa 

Make sure the SIM card is contacting internal components correctly.  Presumably you require the same SIM card sizing in each device and the use of an adapter is not required?

It does seem like this could be a matter of the device being blacklisted, depending on where you received it from.

I like @BlueB suggestion to try a different SIM card to see if it will provide service. ( if perhaps you have another family or person in your area whose SIM you can try...)

@esjliv wrote:

@lfa 

I would say that is unlikely. If the phone were locked to another carrier, the customer would have been prompted for a SIM Network Unlock PIN or a SIM Network Unlock PUK immmediately after the phone was turned on with the Public Mobile SIM card inserted.

BlueB

If your SIM card works fine and it works in your old iPhone, then your Samsung S20 should as well.  I'm curious, where did you get the S20 from?  I'm curious if it's locked to another carrier and thus, won't connect to the Public Mobile network.  You could also try another SIM card to another carrier to see if it's a defective phone for some reason.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@lfa 

@lfa 

For all intents and purposes, 3g is WCDMA (although not quite).  You do need the WCDMA network option to be enabled.  Not only can you not make or rceieve phone calls, but it sounds like you can't connect to the network at all.  Were you using this Samsung S20 plus before?  I would suggest checking devicecheck.ca to see if the IMEI has been blocked from connecting to Canadian networks.

Need Help? Let's chat.