cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone suddenly stopped calling and texting completely

zenanarchy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone was working fine, and I used it to call this morning; but this evening it will not call or text at all. My plan renewed fine on April 4th, and I have used only 1 minute of my 100 for calling, and I have unlimited text messages. I rebooted my phone, and also took the SIM out and reinstalled it; but that didn't fix the problem. It is not in Airplane mode. It is a relatively new Samsung Galaxy A51. Mobile data is enabled. Wifi data works just fine.

When I try to make a call, it says "Not registered on network". SIM card status says "emergency calls only" under "Network", and "Out of service" under "Service State". Mobile network state is "unknown".

19 REPLIES 19

@zenanarchy wrote:

I just checked and the website says that my phone is blacklisted. Is there any way to reverse that, or is it permanent?

@zenanarchy sorry to hear that your phone is blacklisted.  You said that the phone was working before.  This could mean that the owner just reported it lost or stolen.  Where did you get that phone.  Who sold it to you?

Unfortunately, only the individual who first reported the phone lost or stolen may get it removed from the blacklist. If you’re able to get in touch with the person who owned the device previously and they’re willing to do that, then you should be able to get the phone activated with no further problems. However, keep in mind that what’s more likely is they’ll want to reclaim their property, leaving you with nothing.

If it is too much of a headache, just buy a new phone or a used one from reputable dealers.  Check out Public Mobile Certified Pre-owned Phones

Best wishes

RosieR

@hTideGnow 

Unlikely.....private sales of cell phones has always carried the same amount of risk. Risk assessment is key but the most clever of scammers can fool the most cautionary of buyers. It is always YMMV and buyer beware.

So, it is  the 2nd case in the same week, I hope this is not a new trend after Simjack.

@zenanarchy if you live in b.c. there is someone purchasing blacklisted phones

@zenanarchy   how you got your phone?

@zenanarchy 

I would start with the person or organization/company where you got the device from.

@zenanarchy 

Bummer....it all depends how and who you acquired the phone from but it doesn't look good from this standpoint.

zenanarchy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just checked and the website says that my phone is blacklisted. Is there any way to reverse that, or is it permanent?

@darlicious @hTideGnow 

Good replies - thank you.

@zenanarchy , so is the phone blacklisted?

@HALIMACS 

A blacklisted phone will stop working the moment they flip the switch. It's very common for a fraudster to acquire a new phone or a stolen one....sell it and then either the theft victim (shortly after the loss)or a provider once payment has not been recieved after a couple of months to then have the phone blacklisted. Alternatively a fraudulent insurance claim will allow the insurer to also blacklist the phone. The latter two can take months even up to a year to occur.

@HALIMACS  actually it happens, this is just from a thread this week:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Can-t-connect-to-network/td-p/6725...

The OP of that thread got that confirmed from Mod, that's why I suggest to check with the Mod

@darlicious @hTideGnow 

OP stated that it was working fine and then it just stopped working.

They did say it was a relatively new A51 Samsung.

Do blacklisted phones work for a while and then stop working or would they not function from the get-go?

@zenanarchy , you can check if your phone is blacklisted here:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

you can also open a ticket with Mod to confirm as well.

@zenanarchy 

What happens when you try calling 611?

Is it possible your phone has been blacklisted? (Did you buy it second hand in a private sale?)

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@zenanarchy 

Could there be an outage affecting your area?

TELUS Service Status

Might be worth checking it out based on your individual location.

Other option could be SIM card failure or SIM swap.   Hope it's not a SIM swap/fraud... here's an Announcement on that from Public Mobile:

SIM Swap Fraud - Community (publicmobile.ca)

Oops.jpeg

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@zenanarchy wrote:

My phone was working fine, and I used it to call this morning; but this evening it will not call or text at all. My plan renewed fine on April 4th, and I have used only 1 minute of my 100 for calling, and I have unlimited text messages. I rebooted my phone, and also took the SIM out and reinstalled it; but that didn't fix the problem. It is not in Airplane mode. It is a relatively new Samsung Galaxy A51. Mobile data is enabled. Wifi data works just fine.

When I try to make a call, it says "Not registered on network". SIM card status says "emergency calls only" under "Network", and "Out of service" under "Service State". Mobile network state is "unknown".

Hi @zenanarchy log in your self serve account.  Does it say active?  If yes, click Plan & Add-Ons tab, do you see your number there.  If yes, good.  Call your own number.. what does it say (or ask someone to call your number).

If everything is ok, this is just a glitch and may be remedied by other suggestions above.

If not ok, please contact the moderators to help you fix this.

Please keep us posted.  thanks in advance

RosieR

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zenanarchy : Can you log in to your self-serve account? Can you try the SIM in another phone? Or another SIM in your phone? Did you buy the phone new?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@zenanarchy wrote:

@zenanarchy ,

Try one or more of the below:

*turn off your phone, leave off for a minutes, then reboot (you did this)

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it (you did this)

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode 

*reset network settings

If all these do not fix the issue, submit a ticket to the Moderators to check your SIM/account.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Faster Method - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower Method - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

Need Help? Let's chat.