cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone (LG V20) has trouble connecting correctly to towers

Nazrinn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there PM people.

I have a phone which I recently changed the screen of, and since then, I am having problem with my data network. I am not sure if this might be a hardware problem, so I'm asking here.

The problem: About every 20 to 30 minutes, my phone "disconnects" from the tower. The phone show me it is indeed connected, but I cannot send text, make phone calls, or load webpage correctly.

What I tried:

• Resetting my network settings. No change.
  • I found that enabling the airplane mode for a few second does the trick, but sometimes it does not reconnect immediately (it can show that there is no tower connection, but not always), and sometimes it doesn't work at all and I need to thinker with the airplane mode for about 10 minutes before having my network data working again. I rely heavily on data to travel outside the house (I do not drive), so this is a problem that is quite annoying to me.

Note: I noticed my network seems to work correctly at home, when I am connected to wifi, but once I get outside it gets tricky.

Any idea of what could be causing this problem?

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

Nazrinn

@gblackma @geopublic 

No luck! Turns out the antenna was okay and they didn't find anything wrong with my phone. The problem seems to still be there to some extent and I tried another SIM card the technician gave me which seemed to work perfectly. I think the problem could be on PM's side. That, or there is something wrong with my board. The technician said he never saw something like this in 10 years.

So yeah, no luck. I will ask the mods to check my account or something and see where it goes.

@Nazrinn  Hope they can resolve it if it's a loose antenna connection. It is well documented that LG phones have soldering issues so and if that's the case maybe time to look for a new one.

@Nazrinn hope that they are doing this for free. If the antenna doesn't fix it, it may be time for you to junk gently retire  the lemon.🤔

@Nazrinn wrote:

@geopublic 

Alright so I gave the repair company a call. They said it was extermely strange, since the network seemed to "work again" with the airplane mode, but that it could be something with the motherboard, like a connection not being okay. To check that, it would cost a fortune, so I'll make them look at the antenna Sunday and we'll see from there.

Nazrinn

@geopublic 

Alright so I gave the repair company a call. They said it was extermely strange, since the network seemed to "work again" with the airplane mode, but that it could be something with the motherboard, like a connection not being okay. To check that, it would cost a fortune, so I'll make them look at the antenna Sunday and we'll see from there.

@popping wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Nazrinn 

Test your SIM card with another working phone at the same location with problem connecting.  This will eliminate whether the problem is your phone or PM signal issue.

Not necessarily - I've said it before, and I'll say it again, my connectivity at home is quite poor, but with my SIM, in my wife's phone, although the signal is still poor, her phone stays connected to PM, but mine is intermittent, in  some rooms.

@CannonFodder 

Since PM signal is the same (ie same location), you wife's phone is better than your phone.

Switch SIM card between your phone and your wife's phone,  If you wife's phone still works better than your phone after switching SIM card, it is time to replace your phone.

Uhm.... already said I did that, which you quoted above. In my case, as I previously said, the signal to my wife's phone is also very poor(actually measures a worse number, in the phone settings, than my phone), BUT it remains connected to PM.

My point, in that previous post, was that if @Nazrinn  did the same, it wouldn't NECESSARILY be as cut & dried as you said, because potentially, he/she could possibly be in an "iffy" area of connection, like I am, and a different phone may still have a similar issue, or might not.

Nazrinn

@Nezgar I'll bet it's the LTE as when "LTE" appears on my network bar, the data doesn't seem to work properly. I was in "Automatic" mode so I'll change that and give it a try.

Nazrinn

@geopublic 

Yeah the screen was replaced by a professional. I'll give them a call as soon as I can.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CannonFodder wrote:

@popping wrote:

@Nazrinn 

Test your SIM card with another working phone at the same location with problem connecting.  This will eliminate whether the problem is your phone or PM signal issue.

Not necessarily - I've said it before, and I'll say it again, my connectivity at home is quite poor, but with my SIM, in my wife's phone, although the signal is still poor, her phone stays connected to PM, but mine is intermittent, in  some rooms.

@CannonFodder 

Since PM signal is the same (ie same location), you wife's phone is better than your phone.

Switch SIM card between your phone and your wife's phone,  If you wife's phone still works better than your phone after switching SIM card, it is time to replace your phone.

@popping wrote:

@Nazrinn 

My guess is that the technician may not connect your antenna correctly after screen repair.

Given the timing, that'd be my guees too.....

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Nazrinn 

My guess is that the technician may not connect your antenna correctly after screen repair.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

How do you have your preferred network type set? The options best for Public Mobile are WCDMA only, or LTE/WCDMA.

Screenshot_20200206-162924~2.png

Maybe you can watch if the issue seems to be more with WCDMA or LTE sides...

@geopublic wrote:

@Nazrinn  Did you change the screen or did you take to a shop? If you did it then you need to take everything apart and make sure all the connections to the motherboard are secure. From your description it sounds like a hardware issue.

If you got the screen replaced at a retail shop take it back and ask them to check it.

Yeah it sounds like the antenna may not have been secured properly. Airplane mode, probably just a cooincidence.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Nazrinn  it could you put up your network settings here so we could look at them?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Nazrinn  Did you change the screen or did you take to a shop? If you did it then you need to take everything apart and make sure all the connections to the motherboard are secure. From your description it sounds like a hardware issue.

If you got the screen replaced at a retail shop take it back and ask them to check it.

Need Help? Let's chat.