cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Samsung Galaxy s7 and my wife's will not connect to the network

minicum
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello:

My phone (a galaxy S7) along with my wife's will not connect to the network...........I have activated the SIM cards, confirmed the APN setup and still nothing..........we were with Koodo before, transferred to Freedom for 1 day and then came to Public Mobile. I have tried everything to no avail. Please advise as I will soon cancel my plan.

Sincerely

M.Minicucci

10 REPLIES 10

APN settings do not need to be set to connect to the network. As APN settings have nothing to do with connecting to the network, trying to make adjustments to those can't possibly fix any "emergency calls only" messages.

While there are multiple variants of phone models made by Samsung, the idea of LTE being locked out of the phone (such as the case with many of the Samsung models from Freedom/Wind), that once again doesn't apply when it comes to fixing the issue of phone calls not working.  Public Mobile doesn't even use LTE for phone calls.

As this phone was previously used with Koodo, it's compatible.  You'll want ot make sure that your phone is not set to "LTE only" or "2g only".  If your phone is set to either of those, phone calls simply will not work.  Those possible settings shouldn't be confused with "LTE prefered" or "3g prefered".

@minicumwrote:

How do I do that?

Settings > Backup and Reset > Reset Network Settings > Reset Settings

minicum

Emergency calls only

minicum

How do I do that?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

If there is a network reset in the settings, give that a try.

Can't offer anything more helpful until the specific model number is identified.

Samsung Galaxy s7: How to Find the Model Number (video)

Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge Model Numbers (SM-G930* and SM-G935*) Differences (webpage)

@Korth He mentioned they were on Koodo before so his phone is compatible with Telus network.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

All that being said ... Koodo and PM both use the Telus network, a Galaxy from Koodo should work.  Unless Freedom somehow changed something.

I'd try backing up all data on one of these devices then doing a "hard reset" or factory reset, wipe the thing clean, then seeing if it can be configured to work on PM.

There are several Galaxy s7 models/variants.

Some do work on PM, some do not work on PM.

No LTE

Samsung Galaxy S7 G930W8 can't use LTE

Samsung S7 and J series phones doesn't work?

Apparently this has something to which radio channels are used, probably configured in the firmware (sort of "locked" by the OEM manufacturer or network operator).  Apparently hacked/modded firmware can fix this, although I couldn't find anything of the sort which is specific to PM, and I couldn't find anything of the sort which didn't look somewhat dubious.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Are you getting any signal on your phone? Try changing the network settings to LTE.

Login to your self-serve account and confirm the plan you have. 

Need Help? Let's chat.