cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My SIM's card is too big for my new phone

GenPill
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought a new phone after making sure it was compatible with Public Mobile. But now that I have it I see that my SIM's card is too big to fit in.

I googled what I should do, but they said that I should go to a store and have them cut it to fit, but PM has no store.

What's the best thing to do?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@GenPill If you can come out to Mississauga west, I have a spare SIM you may have. Just send me a private message. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Audit13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have used these sim templates before and they have worked well for me.

When I trimmed a PM sim card, I made sure I had a spare on hand in case I mess it up.

I suggest using very sharp wire cutters. After trimming the card, use a bit of fine-grit sandpaper to smooth the edges and you should be good to go.

I have three other family members on PM and bought each of them an unactivated sim in case something happens to their original or they lose their phone. This way, they can easily transfer their service to a new sim and have continuous service.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Further to @KMG's comment. There are sim card templates online that you can print out and measure against to make sure that cutting it will work. It will at least save you the trip to the store only to find out the sim chip is too big to be cut.

Just make sure that when you print it out, that you do not "shrink to fit" or anything like that in the print properties.

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Some older SIMs will be too big to be cut into nano-size, though.  Some SIM cards are so big that the actual chip component is larger than the entire nano-SIM card.  If that's the case, the only thing you can do is order a new SIM.

GenPill

thank you, I'll try that before thinking of getting a new SIM's card!

KMG

Ah that explains the size.

You could go to any cell phone store and ask nicely (since you aren't their customer) and they might cut it for you.  Most stores will have a punch tool that does the trick.

GenPill

I got my SIM card when I first started with Public mobile, about 4 or 5 years ago.

Doesn't seem like I can make it smaller. I don't trust myself to make it smaller, would going to any cell phone store work?

KMG

When did you get that SIM card?  Nano SIMs / triple punch SIMs have been around a long time.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@GenPill, depending on when you got your sim card it may still work.  If you got in around October of last year I know they were triple punch so you can still knock off the bigger portions of the  SIM card.  If it is a one size SIM you have two options.  Get a SIM card punch tool or find someone who has one and cut it to size or purhcase a new SIM by ordering online or visiting the retail partners. Walmart, WOW Mobile. K mobile

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.