cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Phones say "Unregistered Sim" or "Emergency Calls Only"

Chad
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
First thing to try is powering down your device and removing the sim card and, if possible, the battery Wait a minute and then reinstall the sim and battery. Restart your device.

Didn't work?

Check and be sure you're not in Airplane or Flight Mode.

Still not working?

Navigate to your settings and mobile network settings.

Be sure that:
Network Selection is set to Automatic
USE 2G Only or USE GSM ONLY isn't selected

Network type typically should be "GSM\WCDMA PREFERRED"

Still not working?

Change NETWORK SELECTION to Manual
The device will perform a scan which could take up to 2 minutes. You'll be presented with a list of available networks. Choose Koodo, Telus, or Public Mobike from this list.

Note: Doing this disables international roaming. Should you ever want to roam in the future you'll need to change this setting back to automatic

If your device still isn't working, check and be sure your bill is paid up and then give Tech support a call. It's free.
23 REPLIES 23

Aljanes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ok. Thanks for your help.

@AljanesThe easiest way is for yout to swap phone, so you can figure whether it is your phone or Public Mobile's problem, since wait for a moderator's response takes 48 hours.

Aljanes

Sorry. I couldn't remember how to do that.

Aljanes

Not today. I would have to borrow someone else's phone to do that.

@AljanesCan you swap your SIM card with another known working phone to narrow down which problem is it?

It is also helpful to start your own thread as not everyone will look at a reply to an old thread.

Aljanes

Still not working 😞 Not sure what else to do. My phone is pretty new. It's an S9.

Aljanes

I dont have another phone to try but I cant see it being a hardware issue as it was working perfectly and then stopped all of a sudden. I'll try the other trick.

@Aljanes 

Can you try your SIM card in another unlocked phone to determine whether it is hardware issue versus PM service issue?

Other option is the lost/stolen phone trick. It seems to reset your plan.

To report your phone  lost/stolen.  Login to your account.  Choose Plans and Add-ons tab. Then choose Lost/Stolen Phone tab.  The choose Suspend Service tab.  Logout.  Wait few minutes.  Login in and report your phone found.  Reboot phone.

Aljanes

I'm having this same problem. I have had the same phone and same SIM card for about  a year and a half with Public Mobile and all of a sudden, it's not working today. It was working fine all morning and just stopped. I have tried all the steps listed and nothing. My phone is unlocked, my account says active and my payment is up to date. I have tried resetting the SIM, turning it off and on again and still nothing. Thanks.

Audit13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @Jlepage78,

If you are not being prompted to enter a network unlock code with any sim cards, the phone should be network unlocked.

Do you get same message when you insert the Public Mobile sim into another phone. If yes, the sim could be defective.

Has the s7 worked with a Canadian carrier in the past? 

Have you tried other activated sim cards in the phone? 

Do you have the exact model number? I believe Samsung may have more than one version of the s7.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jlepage78 there is a way to check though I'm not 100% sure of the procedure.  A quick Google search should lead you to the procedure though.

Or, what's the history of the device?  Did you buy it from a Samsung Exerience store, a carrier, or other source such as Amazon?  If you got it from the Samsung Experience store, did they put a SIM card in and then immediately re-unlock it for you?  If form a carrier, did you already pay for an unlock code?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jlepage78
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I guess I can try unlocking it again but I wouldn't want to waist 25 bucks if it doesn't work.

Thanks

srlawren

@Jlepage78 are you 100% sure?  Usually that message means either the phone is incompatible (but all S7 models have the required 850MHz and 1900MHz 3G UMTS frequencies requried for use with Public Mobile), or locked to another provider.  Even if you bought it unlocked, the S7 will automatically lock to the network of the first SIM card installed.  So unless the Samsung Experience store unlocked it for you again after first SIM insertion, it may well be locked to another network.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jlepage78

I am have the same issue with a galaxy s7 it say unregistered sim. The phone is definitely unlocked.

srlawren

@galaxyunlock you just replied to a thread that was last active 11 months ago.  I think this has probably been resolved one way or anohter by now.  FYI.

galaxyunlock

If it is a new sim that it takes  24 hour to 48 hours for activation of sim card. You can select manual selection of operator under network setting and wait for 2 minute phone will list available gsm network then select the network you want to register.

Here is most possible reason is the original owner might have not paid any due amount or some one complaint about the phone from insurance company that it is lost or stolen.

srlawren

Thanks for that, @tonyzhang!

@haifengwng would you be able to update us when you have a moment, whether you were able to get this resolved?

tonyzhang

Another thing to check if you get "Unregistered SIM", go to this website and enter your IMEI:

http://www.protectyourdata.ca/check-the-status-of-your-device-in-canada/

This is to make sure in the odd case your phone is not blacklisted.

srlawren

@haifengwng welcome to the Public Mobile community!  Can you confirm the phone make and model?  It sounds like you may have a phone that is not compabile with Public Mobile's [Telus'] network, OR, that it may be locked to another carrier.  But given that you see both Wind and Rogers, I'd say it's probably incompatible bands.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @haifengwng,

I'm sorry to see that you aren't able to connect to the network.

Are you using an unlocked device?

Please confirm.

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

haifengwng

My phone have the same issue. I followed the steps, however in the step below:

Change NETWORK SELECTION to Manual
The device will perform a scan which could take up to 2 minutes. You'll be presented with a list of available networks. Choose Koodo, Telus, or Public Mobike from this list.

I can only find WIND 3G and Rogers 2G, there is no PM on the lost.

what should I do? plz help.

@sammyoesr,

What is the brand, model of your phone and where did you purchase it ?

Can you verify in your self serve account if your status show : ACTIVE

sammyoesr
It still say my phone still do not work
Need Help? Let's chat.