cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Nexus 5 Lives!

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I got my flakey Nexus 5 repaired.  Power button soldiering fix.  Boot Loop was the result, and frankly, was a pain to use.

I've never er been so frustrated using any other device, until I couldn't live without my Nexis 5.

I suffered almost a month on a phone running Android Lollipop... My smartphone was a dumb phone.

The $70 repair has brought new life to my Nexus 5.  

I didn't know how much I rely on this beautiful piece of technology.

Yes, I prepared for call forwarding, and I use Google Apps for so many things, and everything was synced, but the back up Moto E 2nd Edition with LTE was no where near a suitable backup for my Nexus 5.

I am going to do more research now for my next device.  It must just work, when I change the container holding my sim card.

Can't believe how dependant I have become on this phone.  I will never mock so.eone again for being lost without their own daily driver.

8 REPLIES 8

Depending on the condition of this Nexus 5,  I don't really see $70 as that to fix it.

If the phone isn't banged up and the battery good, there isn't a brand new phone out there that can be purchased for $70 that is anywhere as a good as a Nexus 5.    I also don't believe that you could find a used Nexus 5 in good condition for $70.

I think that part of the reason pepole sometimes don't bother to pay to repair a phone has to do with the fact that it's sometimes easier just to buy a new phone, or at least just to purchase another used device. 

Although I agree with the thought of it being pricy, I couldn't justify a new phone at this time.  My phone doesn't have a problem with the battery, I get more than a full day of use from it, and I prefer to use what I have, rather than spend needlessly on something I can't afford.

Also, this is something I could not do myself, so a local shop got some local spending to keep the economy going.

Wow, $70 for the fix seems alot to me. May be because my Nexus is just sitting and collecting some dust after i got Pixel 2. It was a good phone when i used it and now it has the same bootloop issue due to flanky power button. 

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Double post

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My Nexus 5 is still going strong although we use it for USA sim, backup and kids use.

After comparing specs to a Moto G5 for $150+ and then used N5 (going for $100) I was susprised how well they hold up.

I found battery replacement deal for his N5 for $40 so consider $70 for fair bit of work ok. Although would be tempted to spend on newer.

I moved N5 to Nexus 6 which is rather large in comparison but I have got used to the size.  Slimmer would be nice but the moto under google is so reliable. Still using it and been debating on pixel 2 xl but with issues was thinking of waiting for pixel 3

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Nexus 5 is a really good old phone. The battery life sucks though. 

I also wouldn't have paid $70 just for repairs. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@stonechucker, I am happy for you.  Frankly I would not pay that kind of money to keep such an old phone alive.  

I guess your Moto E never got the Android 6.0 update?  I could swear that some of the XT1527 devices did receive that after a long delay.   I think that sometimes, the best backup phones are the ones that we previously retired (at least if it's not ancient). 

Need Help? Let's chat.