cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola phones

jjodsouza
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am looking to buy a phone for my mom for Mothers Day and would like to know if the Motorola G8 power and Motorola G9 power are compatible with Public Mobile Network. I am looking to upgrade to a better budget friendly phone. Any tips for budget phones out there is welcome.

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

@softech your list from another site is pretty good too, just one small mistake. Telus 2300 MHz should be B30, not B40.

B30 is the FDD version of B40, and it's deployed in some areas where Telus is the RAN owner. It's not deployed widely in Bell territory. I wouldn't consider it a fundamental band, but I included it in my list for completeness.

@softech wrote:

@sheytoon , I got this from another site.. is this more accurate?

3G UMTS Frequency Bands

Band number is the most exact way in my opinion. Howver, I would also say that customers have been programmed into looking at MHz frequency numbers. 

As for band 4 - this is just personal preference - I'd much rather the carrier and customers stop referring to it as 1700/2100. This has long caused confusion. Band 1 is not used by wireless providers in Canada.  Carriers don't go around advertising the pair frequency ranges of others bands, so why start with band 4?

@Anonymous  thanks for the link, I guess I will use that as my template 😁

@sheytoon I am reading your LTE Fundamental back in 2017.👍

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech : This is the reference I use. Oh looky there who wrote it. 🙂

@sheytoon , I got this from another site.. is this more accurate?

3G UMTS Frequency Bands

@sheytoon  I have been trying to be as accurate as possible too..  what's the best way to answer the band/frequency question?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheytoon wrote:

And what happened to B7?

@sheytoon : Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player. 🙂

I get your point, but check this out:

700 = 12, 13, 17 (ignoring 29 for now)

850 = 5

1900= 2

1700/2100 = 4, 66

B4 and B66 have a huge duplex gap that is 400 MHz wide. The uplink part is around 1700 MHz, and the downlink part is around 2100 MHz. See why I prefer just the band numbers?

And what happened to B7?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheytoon :

This is from the compatibility checker disclaimer:

frequencycatchall.jpg

So yes:

700 = 12
850 = 5
1900 = 2
2100 = 4 and 1700?

I like both band and frequency due to all the different mentions at manufacturer or spec sites.

@Dunkman wrote:

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).  band 12, band 5, band 2, band 1, band 4
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).   B2, B5

Recently I've seen this posted a few times by different members of the community. Can someone point out where it came from? There is no LTE B1 in Canada, and the wording could definitely be improved to avoid confusion by using band numbers only instead of a generic frequency identifier.

@jjodsouza wrote:

What about the umidgi a9 pro and umidgi bison is that compatible? I did a bit of research and found them more affordable. 

@jjodsouza 

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).  band 12, band 5, band 2, band 1, band 4
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).   B2, B5

3G = 850 (5), 1900 (2)

4G = 850 (5), 1900 (2), 700 (12/13/17/29), 1700/2100 (4), 2600 (7), 1700/2100 (66)

You can double check with the specs of the phone.  

https://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi_bison_specification.html

https://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi_a9pro_specification.html

Both phones should be compatible with Public mobile.  

jjodsouza

What about the umidgi a9 pro and umidgi bison is that compatible? I did a bit of research and found them more affordable. 

Samsung will probably provide a better support (software update) for longer term, especially if you are going with A71 .... 

sthwang
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I agree! Samsung has nice budget phones, and this is only my opinions but I have always found Samsung phones to be more reliable long term! Consider looking at the Galaxy A series phones - they are all compatible with Public Mobile. A71, A32, A52 are all great options from Samsung. 

jjodsouza

What about the nord n100. Public mobile does not list this phone as compatible. 

Personally I think those Samsung budget phones are good these days, too.. A11, A21, A32  , decent price, between low $200 to high $300

Motorola phones have been solid too.   Are they still available in Costco store ?  If so, Costco will extend another year of warranty

@jjodsouza wrote:

I am looking to buy a phone for my mom for Mothers Day and would like to know if the Motorola G8 power and Motorola G9 power are compatible with Public Mobile Network. I am looking to upgrade to a better budget friendly phone. Any tips for budget phones out there is welcome.

Yes, they'll both work. For ideal compatiblity with freqencies and network types and for warranty, I would recommened purchasing the version distrubuted by Motorola Canada.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@jjodsouza wrote:

Thanks

@jjodsouza 

Motorola G8 power - looks good.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA/motorola-moto-g8-power

https://willmyphonework.net

esjliv_0-1619836225489.png

Motorola G9 power

esjliv_1-1619836291631.png

Need Help? Let's chat.