cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola Moto G5s Plus XT1805 - compatible?

JDS006
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello Public Mobile people,

I'm wondering if this phone will be sufficiently compatible with the Public Mobile network and if anyone can confirm this it would be much appreciated.  I've done a little looking into it and from the frequencycheck website, it is fully compatible except with the LTE network.  From my understanding, I should be able to use one of the other bands to use my data at a lower speed... Is that correct?  That would be alright with me as I am not a heavy data user at all, as long as I am able to reliably use the GSM or UMTS bands for the internet.

I'll post the phone listing on eBay as well as the frequencycheck results here in case anyone wants to reference them or is curious at all.

Phone -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Moto-G5s-Plus-XT1805-Smartphone-5-5-Dual-SIM-4G-32G-4G-LTE-GSM-Unl...

Frequency Check report -

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/8PY0fGa/motorola-moto-g5s-plus-dual-sim-td-lte-...

I am newer to Public Mobile and buying phones separately and would appreciate any assistance if anyone is familiar.  Thanks, all.

6 REPLIES 6

JDS006

@kselmak wrote:

BTW are you using autopay? You get $2 off and it doubles your data too. You can still pay manually that's what I do as I don't trust the autopay, but I still get the rewards

No I don't use it, I also don't like auto deductions in general.  I didn't know you could still pay manually though, that's sweet.  I'll sign up for that later, thanks for the tip.

BTW are you using autopay? You get $2 off and it doubles your data too. You can still pay manually that's what I do as I don't trust the autopay, but I still get the rewards

JDS006

Alright thanks.  As long as I can get 3G that is sufficient for me, as I only buy an extremely small amount of Data from Public (500MB / mth) and rarely use it for anything but urgent troubleshooting etc.  From looking at the XT1805 specs it is very in-line with what I want and at a lower price than a premium line, so that's what I'll go with.

That article sounds interesting, I'll have to take a look around for it later.  Thanks for the phone suggestion also. A big screen phablet type phone is pretty far away from what I'm looking for, but interesting stuff there.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

And if you are looking for an advice on affordable phone that works with pm, @geopublic recently suggested umidigi a5 pro, which I'm keeping on my shopping list. Looks great

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

It's only missing one band for lat

So if you are in the area with only that band you will need to rely on 3g only

But there Telus has towers with other lte bands too, so you will have access to lte as well in the areas where those are located.

I believe there is an article here in the community that discusses the regiones with dominating towers

Many people are saying that 2 and 4 are really important and that seems to be on the list

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@JDS006 wrote:

Hello Public Mobile people,

I'm wondering if this phone will be sufficiently compatible with the Public Mobile network and if anyone can confirm this it would be much appreciated.  I've done a little looking into it and from the frequencycheck website, it is fully compatible except with the LTE network.  From my understanding, I should be able to use one of the other bands to use my data at a lower speed... Is that correct?  That would be alright with me as I am not a heavy data user at all, as long as I am able to reliably use the GSM or UMTS bands for the internet.

I'll post the phone listing on eBay as well as the frequencycheck results here in case anyone wants to reference them or is curious at all.

Phone -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Moto-G5s-Plus-XT1805-Smartphone-5-5-Dual-SIM-4G-32G-4G-LTE-GSM-Unl...

Frequency Check report -

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/8PY0fGa/motorola-moto-g5s-plus-dual-sim-td-lte-...

I am newer to Public Mobile and buying phones separately and would appreciate any assistance if anyone is familiar.  Thanks, all.

Hi, 

The phone will work on 3G network only.

If you already have this phone or you're getting it for free, why not? You can use it

However if you're thinking of purchasing this phone, you should get a phone that also supports LTE. Just my 2 cents.

Need Help? Let's chat.