cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto g9 power or g power

dj_simms
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Looking to buy a phone for the wife.

Considering the Motorla G9 power or the Motorla G Power (2021)

The G9 power spec wise is the better phone. However the G power (2021) supports all PM frequency bands. The G9 power only supports 3/5 4g bands. Missing the b12(700) and b17(700) bands.

Curious how important missing these 2 bands would be and if this could potentially cause service issues?

Anyone has this phone with no network issues?

Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12

Low bands in general are, yes.

Interference because propagation is better, and it will overlap with neighbouring site more often, especially in urban areas.

Slower speeds not only because of interference, but also because low bands are usually very small channels, mostly 5 MHz, and no 4x4 MIMO due to antenna size limitations on the phone.

@sheytoon wrote:

@dj_simms LTE B12/17 is a key coverage band. In most scenarios, you may not notice a difference, but in poor coverage areas and rural areas, it's the only option. I generally wouldn't recommend getting a phone without it, unless you are sure you'll never need it.

@sheytoon 

Do you find that the 700MHz frequencies are more prone to interference and slower speeds? 

@dj_simms LTE B12/17 is a key coverage band. In most scenarios, you may not notice a difference, but in poor coverage areas and rural areas, it's the only option. I generally wouldn't recommend getting a phone without it, unless you are sure you'll never need it.

@dj_simms 

Apparently like @Nezgar I got summoned too....but since the whole frequency thing has been answered I will just offer opinion and a few numbers

I have the recently released north american moto g7+ so the worldwide dual sim original is about a year and a half old and about twice the price. That's a lot for an extra sim slot and the android 9 OS.  Mine came with android 10 a single sim slot and separate sd card slot. It comes with an excellent camera (a phones deal breaker for me) and very little bloatware. Currently US$119 ($170 cdn all in) at B&H.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595563-REG/moto_pafv0001us_moto_g7_plus_64gb.html

From what I have read about the g9 power its all about the big 6000 mah battery, a better camera (but in my opinion its not that much better when comparing price vs specs) and I don't think you have anything to worry about connectivity-wise. It all depends what you're wife is going to do with it. The slightly older releases of this model with dual sim ( a must have in my opinion especially if you are a pm customer who plans to travel outside of Canada) are currently on sale at amazon.ca for $70 off at $329

https://www.amazon.ca/Motorola-Dual-SIM-Factory-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B08M9L43CB/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dc...

I have been summoned but have nothing further to add. 🙂

Lack of any LTE bands is basically inconsequential on PM as long as there is 850/1900 HSPA available to fallback on.

My prior BlackBerry Q10 from Rogers literally ONLY supported 2600Mhz band 7. This is I think the highest "common" band, with the shortest range, only generally deployed in high-density urban areas. It spent a lot of time NOT on LTE. 🙂 But it has a really wide band (70Mhz?) so if you can use it, the carrier can offload a lot of throughput with it, or use it for carrier aggregation with another band for "LTE+" or "LTE Advanced".

OK I guess I had something to add after all. 🙂

yes, I was to say @sheytoon is the expert, too

@Anonymous wrote:

@HALIMACS : Our esteemed colleague sheytoon made this post time some time ago. I've pretty much memorized it.

Thanks @Anonymous 

I've copied it for bedtime reading.   

Korth
Mayor / Maire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_frequency_bands

The phone won't be able to uplink or downlink on these bands.

It would definitely have lower maximum data transfer speeds than a phone which could access all the compatible bands. Telus advertises maximum LTE speed as 900Mbps, losing these two bands might knock the maximum down to, say, 750Mbps.

But this doesn't matter at all on Public Mobile since "3G speed" (across 4G/LTE cellular) is upper-capped at 3Mbps anyhow.

It would possibly have lower signal redundancy during adverse radio conditions. The phone probably wouldn't get quite as many signal bars (or as much speed) for data traffic when used in a concrete building or a barely-in-range fringe area.

I don't personally think it would really be noticeable unless your work/home just happens to be located miles away from the nearest cell sites, is blocked by a mountain shadow, is in the heart of a dense metal building, is next door to a powerful broadcast station, is heated by 50 microwave ovens, and sits on top of a geomagnetic anomaly. The other LTE bands can easily provide more than enough overhead to sustain "3G speed" 3Mbps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS : Our esteemed colleague sheytoon made this post time some time ago. I've pretty much memorized it.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@dj_simms 

It's been suggested that virtually any phone sold within the North American market would function on the Public Mobile network.

If you're looking for certainty on the particulars, I'd suggest @Nezgar and @softech may be able to weigh in?  

My knowledge on bands is limited to the ones with drummers, bass players, etc, etc...

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious , was it you that has a Moto G...which model?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@dj_simms wrote:

Looking to buy a phone for the wife.

Considering the Motorla G9 power or the Motorla G Power (2021)

The G9 power spec wise is the better phone. However the G power (2021) supports all PM frequency bands. The G9 power only supports 3/5 4g bands. Missing the b12(700) and b17(700) bands.

Curious how important missing these 2 bands would be and if this could potentially cause service issues?

Anyone has this phone with no network issues?

Thank you.

@dj_simms I do not have this phone, personally.

Check out this website: https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/CA/motorola-moto-g9-power

for  Motorola Moto G9 Power:

esjliv_0-1615426777430.png

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/check-your-phones-compatibility

Need Help? Let's chat.