cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto X Play compatibility

Dmstephens
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am looking to buy the new Moto X Play that was released today. I'm hoping to pick it up today, probably from Telus.

I'm wondering if it will work with my Public Mobile account. I'm expecting to pay extra to unlock the phone but don't want to shell out the money if the phone won't work (or I look at switching providers I guess but I'm comfortable with what I have)

17 REPLIES 17

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello again,

Have you tried the cellphone forum of Red Flag Deals? I regard it as a source of excellent information and top-quality advice.

Cheers.

BrokenAnimator

Yeah gsmareana is ok, but a lot of the reviews leave things out and just focus on certain aspects. Not having a gyroscope and other sensors seems like a deal breaker that shouldn't be left out when mentioning this phone. 

I was going to buy this phone at the Telus store then read about the lack of sensors (that you just expect would come with phones now a days) and that was a deal breaker.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Have you read the reviews on gsmarena.com?

I find them to be very informative, with
multiple -page reviews, including benchmark tests.

FYI.

BrokenAnimator

This phone looks great on paper, but some of the unbiased reviews on it are saying there is no gyroscope so some apps and games won't function correctly.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

Since a nano is smaller than a micro (the metallic parts remains the same size), you can cut it using very sharp scissors. I suggest watching YouTube videos first.

You can also visit a Telus or Koodo store, requesting that your card be cut.

Dmstephens

Moto X Play aquired! Heartbreak ensues.. It requires a nano sim and my aging 1st gen Moto G has a micro. Now I have to wait for delivery of a new one. Wish I knew this in advance (I didn't know nano vs micro sim was even a thing...) since it seems pointless to take it out of the box. 

Oh well I had the buzz of new tech for a little while there. 

Telus Now. We're Dying to know, How Excellent and how Such a Smartylicious Phone can be Such an Excellent Priced Superb Phone

Dmstephens

Yes that's correct. I'm in Ontario with a delicious 13% sales tax so I'll be hitting $475ish

Thant's great. Thanks for that, Please, Telus More about Moto X+3's Special Capabilities

Before Tax, So, $460ish range?

Dmstephens

$420 from Telus.

@Dmstephens, how much is the Moto X+3? That's the Moto X Play

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

If you have other phones locked to carriers other than Telus or Koodo, and wish to save money, visit www.cellunlocker.net The company is reputable. You can also check eBay for other unlocking services.

FYI.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

There is no unlocking necessary if locked to Telus or Koodo.

Cheers.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Considering that Telus, Koodo and Public Mobile use the same network, and function on identical frequencies, your phone will be fully compatible with PM, and will not require unlocking.

Before your phone can function on the PM network, ensure that you configure the APN settings, including MMS and Internet data, to conform with Public Mobile's requirements.

Welcome to Public Mobile!

Dmstephens

Excellent! Am I correct that I need to unlock it? I've heard that Telus charges ~$50 for unlocking. Yay 😛

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

If its Locked to TELUS/Koodo, Then 110% YES, It shall Work

Need Help? Let's chat.