cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto G 2nd gen SIM card not detected

kriskidman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I recently was given a Motorola Moto G 2nd gen (Android 4.4.4). I bought a Public Mobile SIM card, activated it, and inserted it into the phone, but the Moto G is not detecting the SIM card.

Here's what I've tried already: cleaning the card and blowing out the slot, playing around with settings, powering off and on several times, removing and reinserting the SIM, trying the SIM in another phone (it appeared to work in the other phone), trying another SIM in the Moto G (but the Moto G wouldn't detect the other SIM card either). Lastly, I tried a factory reset, but the phone still won't detect the SIM card even after that.

Does anybody know of anything -- besides what I've already attempted -- which could help to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Kris

8 REPLIES 8

Montrealpost
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I've been using Moto G 2nd gen for over 1 year with no problem.  So, chances are, you have a lemon.  Good luck!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Definitely a broken phone or at least SIM card reader.  Even if the SIM card was not activated, the phone at least would detect the SIM card.  Android 4 device is pretty long on the tooth considering android 11 is about to release.  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kriskidman wrote:

Hi,

I recently was given a Motorola Moto G 2nd gen (Android 4.4.4). I bought a Public Mobile SIM card, activated it, and inserted it into the phone, but the Moto G is not detecting the SIM card.

Here's what I've tried already: cleaning the card and blowing out the slot, playing around with settings, powering off and on several times, removing and reinserting the SIM, trying the SIM in another phone (it appeared to work in the other phone), trying another SIM in the Moto G (but the Moto G wouldn't detect the other SIM card either). Lastly, I tried a factory reset, but the phone still won't detect the SIM card even after that.

Does anybody know of anything -- besides what I've already attempted -- which could help to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Kris

Your test proved that PM SIM card and your account setup are working when you test your PM SIM card in another working phone.

Your test also proved that the Moto G 2nd Gen is not working.  It is time to look for another phone.  PM is a prepaid service and there is no refund of the plan fee.  Therefore, the sooner your get a working phone, you will be able to your phone service that you paid for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How about:

Settings/More/Mobile networks/Preferred network type
Select 3G

But your biggest clue is that a different card didn't work.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@kriskidman I think that the phone may be a Lemon. There's probably something wrong with the SIM card slot. You could add the TextNow app and use it over WiFi to make/ receive/ send calls and texts within Canada and to and from the US for free. Stay safe. 

@kriskidman wrote:

Hi,

Since your phone isn't detecting multiple sim cards, the phone is probably broken (the sim card contacts). The Moto G 2nd Gen uses a micro sim card. It's possible that the Public Mobile sim card and the other sim card that you tried is too thin for this device's liking. Whatever people say about the convenience of these tri-cut sim cards, the ones that are contructed for only one specific size do sometimes fit better.

@iliketotalk wrote:

@kriskidman hi it sounds like you need the phone unlocked from the previous cell provider

A locked Motorola Android  phone wouldn't say sim card not detected. it would immediately ask for the network unlock code.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@kriskidman wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Kris

@kriskidman hi it sounds like you need the phone unlocked from the previous cell provider

Need Help? Let's chat.