cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model number

Marco3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So on the page that list the models accepted on this network I can get a phone from any other country? Example I live in Canada but can use an US phone?

21 REPLIES 21

@Mitch1 wrote:

Yes any unlocked cellphone made will work with public mobile.

No, that is not true. There are many unlocked phones that will not work with Public Mobile. For a phone to be able to make phone calls at Public Mobile, it must be able to connect to Telus's HSPA-type network. There are also many unlocked phones that were originally sold by Rogers and Fido, Mobilitcity, Videotron, and Wind Mobile that won't work at Public either; it's just that many/most of those devices have long ago went into the recycling.

@Mitch1 wrote:

Not entirely true. The phone would need to have the band's/frequency that PM uses.

Mitch1

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Marco3 

The best way, if it is not too inconvenient, is to ask a rep at a kiosk/store to put in a PM SIM to test the phone before activating. As someone mentioned there could carrier/country software that may make it incompatible.  

It doesn't mean anything and it's poorly worded on that website that you found.

Maybe they're talking about a dual SIM phone having primary and secondary SIM slots. It has nothing to do with the network.

Marco3

Whats the difference between a primary and secondary 3g network ans is PM's Primary?

@Marco3 wrote:

I agree! For instance here''s a phones specs not listed in PM's list that fits the requirements in a pririmary 3g network but not in a secondary whatever that means...

Screenshot from 2019-12-15 09-26-46.png

The website that you go that from isn't entirely accurate. Public Mobile doesn't have a 2g/GSM network of any kind. For the 3g network type category, the phone needs to have 850 and 1900MHz UMTS.

Marco3

I agree! For instance here''s a phones specs not listed in PM's list that fits the requirements in a pririmary 3g network but not in a secondary whatever that means...

Screenshot from 2019-12-15 09-26-46.png

Wholecloud

I have a phone that wasn't on that list at the time and it still worked . Any modern unlocked phone with the matching frequencies should.

@Marco3 just go to samsung.com and start a chat and ask them to check if the phone is locked,  they'll ask for the imei.  I did it to mine this morning and it was unlocked because it's just a year old! 

iPhoneUser

See Samsung web site here. 

iPhoneUser

I think some people here have unlocked Samsung phones at the Samsung website. So Iam wondering if you can get the imei number first and check if is unlocked or pre unlock it. 

@Marco3 wrote:

Screenshot from 2019-12-14 09-43-03.pngFirstly Thankyou all for replying you've been most helpful. The phone I'm looking at is a Samsung S9+ and these are the model numbers available in Canada and the US. I'm looking for one that will be unlocked that isn't married to a US carriere. Persumingly as long as I get the model number above then it should be fine on Pm'S network.

@Marco3  Correct.

Marco3

Screenshot from 2019-12-14 09-43-03.pngFirstly Thankyou all for replying you've been most helpful. The phone I'm looking at is a Samsung S9+ and these are the model numbers available in Canada and the US. I'm looking for one that will be unlocked that isn't married to a US carriere. Persumingly as long as I get the model number above then it should be fine on Pm'S network.

iPhoneUser

If you want to check the Telus system for compatibility check here. 

If you are talking about an iPhone, I can give you a site to verify for carrier status....locked to carrier by name or if it is unlocked. 

Let me know, happy to help. 

@sheytoon wrote:

Just be careful with US phones. They may be locked, or have custom firmware that prevents foreign SIMs from using LTE.

And from what I've read recently, U.S. providers aren't obligated(as they are in Canada) to provide unlock codes for their phones..... Smiley Sad

Just be careful with US phones. They may be locked, or have custom firmware that prevents foreign SIMs from using LTE.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Marco3 wrote:

So on the page that list the models accepted on this network I can get a phone from any other country? Example I live in Canada but can use an US phone?

Yes, you can use any unlocked phone which support the following frequencies

PM Network Frequencies.JPG

Please note that PM uses 3G for voice calls.  Therefore, LTE only phone will not work with PM.  On the other hand, 3G only phone will work with PM but on 3G data.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Yes as long as the phone can work on telus frequencies

Umts 850 and 1900 mhz for talk and text

L2, l4, l5 i believe for lte and some more would also be useful

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Marco3 wrote:

As long as the phone is unlocked and is compatiable on PM's (Telus) network, the answer is yes.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Marco3 wrote:

@Marco3  Yes, as long as it supports the Public Mobile's bands. In fact you can buy and use phones from all over the world not just the US.

Need Help? Let's chat.