cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile hotspot does not work

gminkwak
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello! Need a bit of help here. I own LG G6 and my mobile hotspot doesn't work for some reason.

To be specific, whenever I try to enable my mobile hotspot, it takes a bit of time saying "authenticating" and it says:

Authentication was unsuccessful. There is a temporary network problem that prevent sthe enablement of the Mobile Hotspot function. Please retry later.

My Mobile connection is fine. I can connect to the internet no problem.

My APN Settings are...

Name: Public Mobile

APN: sp.mb.com\

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS port: 80

MCC: 392

MNC: 220

Everything else is blank

I've tried adding APN type as dun, and tried adding default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri, and tried adding tethering internet APN per this post. I've also tried ticking off "limit mobile data usage", and try to make the WiFi Open instead of locked with password. None of them seem to work. What else should I try? Is this PM problem or my device problem?

50 REPLIES 50

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@gminkwak 

Some phones just can not tether on PM for some weird reason. See this thread. 

Also try the method I've posted in that thread:

Follow the XDA thread on how to change the "tether_dun_required" value using adb, see post #6.

You might want to contact the mods and ask them to check the provisions for your line as well.

@gminkwak what are you trying to connect to the hotspot? when you turn the hotspot on in the phone it says authenticating and failed? or your device that's trying to connect to the phone says that.

@gminkwak  Here are the data set up instructions after a reset courtesy of @geopublic  in a previous post perhaps they will help.

Spoiler

@Geneviève  It has been reported here many times that when switching providers cetain LG phones need to have their network settings reset for data to work. Check your APN settings to make sure that they are correct.

These are the Public Mobile APN settings you need:

APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MCC: 302
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

If you need to know where to find the settings:
Android
Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gminkwak wrote:

I tried that APN type before... didn't work. I just tried it again. Doesn't work unfortunately. I tried adding the dun as well but doesn't work. Not sure why it doesn't work...

That was comma dun no spaces before and after right? And the others without spaces and commas in between? I don't know if order of the terms matters but maybe mms before supl. Who knows maybe even mms,dun before supl.

Are you sure that's all the items? Nothing further down? And you're saving and restarting (or at least flipping in and out of airplane mode)

gminkwak

I tried that APN type before... didn't work. I just tried it again. Doesn't work unfortunately. I tried adding the dun as well but doesn't work. Not sure why it doesn't work...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@gminkwak  Change your APN Type: to

default,supl,mms

And restart your phone and test.

Per the subject line...I might suggest adding ,dun at the end of that.

@gminkwak  Change your APN Type: to

default,supl,mms

And restart your phone and test.

gminkwak

1.PNG

2.PNG

this is as far as my APN settings go

@gminkwak wrote:

yes I followed this instruction but doesn't seem to work.. I just factory resetted my phone but that doesn't seem to do the trick either.

@gminkwak  Can you post a screenshot of your APN settings?

gminkwak

Yes I've tried removing and adding my APN (according to the snip you attached below), I have data, my phone didn't automatically create the APN setting after the network reset so I manually added it myself. My data works fine, it's just that mobile hotspot fails at authentication stage when I try to enable mobile hotspot.

gminkwak

yes I followed this instruction but doesn't seem to work.. I just factory resetted my phone but that doesn't seem to do the trick either.

@gminkwak wrote:

yes I have this as my setting but doesn't seem to work.

@gminkwak  Remove your current APN, reset network settings and restart your phone. Do you have data? Did your phone automatically create your APN settings? If yes, try turning on the hot spot.

If not, then add the APN as follows:

Make sure data is turned on and you have the correct APN settings.

APN.PNG

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@gminkwak 

Here is a great site to setup your APN and instructions on how to do it.  Find the APN Settings for Public Mobile here!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

gminkwak

yes I have this as my setting but doesn't seem to work.

@gminkwak try these.

APN settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,supl,DUN
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: Not set
MVNO value: Not set

gminkwak

I've already tried this, doesn't seem to work.

gminkwak

I don't recall, I don't think I've ever used Mobile Hotspot ever since I switched to PM last year. Just performed the Network reset, doesn't seem to work. Factory reset seems like a lot of work... but I'll try that later once I backup my data.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@gminkwak Sorry, missed the LG 6 part. But I noticed some errors in your APN settings on your post. Try correcting them.

APN type: default,mms,supl   ( if your mobile hotspot is spotty add "dun")
APN enable/disable: APN enabled

Save and restart your phone.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@gminkwak wrote:

Hello! Need a bit of help here. I own LG G6 and my mobile hotspot doesn't work for some reason.

To be specific, whenever I try to enable my mobile hotspot, it takes a bit of time saying "authenticating" and it says:

Authentication was unsuccessful. There is a temporary network problem that prevent sthe enablement of the Mobile Hotspot function. Please retry later.

My Mobile connection is fine. I can connect to the internet no problem.

My APN Settings are...

APN: sp.mb.com\

MCC: 392

Everything else is blank

I've tried adding APN type as dun, and tried adding default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri, and tried adding tethering internet APN per this post. I've also tried ticking off "limit mobile data usage", and try to make the WiFi Open instead of locked with password. None of them seem to work. What else should I try? Is this PM problem or my device problem?

Has data worked for you at all since you have joined Public Mobile or started using this phone?  LG phones are known to need a network reset or even a factory reset to get data working on them with Public Mobile

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.