cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile hotspot does not work

gminkwak
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello! Need a bit of help here. I own LG G6 and my mobile hotspot doesn't work for some reason.

To be specific, whenever I try to enable my mobile hotspot, it takes a bit of time saying "authenticating" and it says:

Authentication was unsuccessful. There is a temporary network problem that prevent sthe enablement of the Mobile Hotspot function. Please retry later.

My Mobile connection is fine. I can connect to the internet no problem.

My APN Settings are...

Name: Public Mobile

APN: sp.mb.com\

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS port: 80

MCC: 392

MNC: 220

Everything else is blank

I've tried adding APN type as dun, and tried adding default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri, and tried adding tethering internet APN per this post. I've also tried ticking off "limit mobile data usage", and try to make the WiFi Open instead of locked with password. None of them seem to work. What else should I try? Is this PM problem or my device problem?

50 REPLIES 50

Minsc-and-Boo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I've got an LG G2 phone which was giving the same error as described earlier when trying to enable Mobile Hotspot.

gminkwak's solution of using "Settings Database Editor" and changing "tether_entitlement_check_state" to "0" worked perfectly for me. 

Mobile Hotspot worked immediately after I saved the new value on the setting, no restart required. 

I would recommend trying this first, before messing around with the APN settings.
Good luck, and thanks to gminkwak!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nice2meetu wrote:

@darlicious Thank you but that wouldn't turn it on. It would say there was a network problem. 

@Anonymous @gpixel @gblackma 

I apologize if I missed some others that were helping me yesterday. 

I woke up this morning and thought, what the heck. One of the last piece of info that was given to me was to get that app. So I downloaded Setedit and carefully followed the instructions to change the value from 5 to 0 in a line. The hotspot turned on right away.

Thank you everyone. I couldn't have done it without you all!

Cheers

Fantastic news. gpixel4 wins your part of the thread. And go back to that link he provided and toss them a Bravo too while you're at it. 🙂

Nice2meetu

@darlicious Thank you but that wouldn't turn it on. It would say there was a network problem. 

@Anonymous @gpixel @gblackma 

I apologize if I missed some others that were helping me yesterday. 

I woke up this morning and thought, what the heck. One of the last piece of info that was given to me was to get that app. So I downloaded Setedit and carefully followed the instructions to change the value from 5 to 0 in a line. The hotspot turned on right away.

Thank you everyone. I couldn't have done it without you all!

Cheers

@Nice2meetu 

What version of Android 7 do you have? There was a known issue with the hotspot after one of its security updates. The following version corrected this issue for LG owners.Screenshot_20200822-055412.png

Spoiler
https://androidmtk.com/download-lg-usb-drivers

@Nice2meetu Get a strong cup of coffee and follow these instructions to set up a hotspot on your LG phone. Good luck!

Edit: Have you looked into downloading an LG USB driver for connecting to your pc/laptop? Scroll to the bottom of the link for your phone model.  *
  1. Touch settings.
  2. Scroll to and touch network and internet. Note: Make sure settings is in list view. Go to menu (3 dots) and choose list view.
  3. Touch tethering.
  4. Touch WiFi hotspot.
  5. Touch WiFi hotspot.
  6. To change the WiFi name (SSID) delete the existing name and add a new one.
  7. Scroll to band touch password.
  8. To change the password delete the existing one and change it to a new one.
  9. Touch save.
  10. Turn on WiFi hotspot by using slider on/off.
  11. Read warning and turn hotspot on.
  12. Your hotspot is now on. Other devices can now connect using your network name (step6) and password (step8). Note:WiFi hotspot is on. Icon appears in the top left corner of your screen.(square w/jagged diagonal line.

Nice2meetu

Again, thank you. I really do appreciate everyone's effort to help.

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow, or maybe I'd rather slide thin pieces of metal under my fingernails instead, lol. Just kidding but frustrated.

Take care people and have a good night.

John

Nice2meetu

Thanks. 

The thing is, I just moved and the Wi-Fi won't be set up until Monday. That's I want the hotspot for, so I could hook my laptop up to Wi-Fi.

I just don't want to screw something with this phone.

Maybe I'll take it back to where I got it from and see what they say.

Maybe I should just be patient for two days.

Nice2meetu

It's almost midnight here. I'm going to crash and probably cry like wounded animal, lol, until I fall asleep. I may pick this up again tomorrow or I just may buy a new phone. I don't know.

I do know that I appreciate the help that everyone has given me

Anonymous
Not applicable

No it's the Android SDK (software development kit).

adb shell is similar to like a DOS shell or DOS prompt or Command prompt. You're doing command line entries.

But I was also remembering that LG's are notorious for needing full factory reset when changing providers. Of course back up stuff you want to keep. But that might also be an avenue for you.

I know all the sdk stuff is a little intimidating. Developer mode or whatever is harmless unless you actually did something.

Nice2meetu

You know, I've been reading past posts about this before coming onto the community and I'm tired. 

Right I feel like I want to this phone off a bridge and go to the type of phone that had the dial and was attached to your house.

Nice2meetu

I read it quickly now.

The issue that I thought it said was that it was enabling but not connecting up to the internet. 

My hotspot is not enabling at all.

Secondly I don't know what they're saying a shell pak (?) or something after hooking up to a computer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nice2meetu wrote:

I mean I'll try it if all I need to do is adjust something to a '0' and it is fairly easy to use. But I'm not a developer or anything close to it. 

Short of being a developer...opening up these options allow you to do a couple more things with the phone. I'm no developer either but I like having access to things. But it's good to heed warnings.

I wonder if the adb that gpixel4 found needs those other commands too.

@Nice2meetu have a look at this thread

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Mobile-hotspot-no-internet/td-p/46925...

*you said you were on Android 7. I think there is a software update to android 9. try updating your device, maybe it will fix the settings for you

Nice2meetu

I mean I'll try it if all I need to do is adjust something to a '0' and it is fairly easy to use. But I'm not a developer or anything close to it. 

Nice2meetu

Honestly, no I didn't. Only because after reading about it Google Play, I wasn't sure that I wouldn't cause some damage by not installing properly.

Screenshot_2020-08-21-23-10-47.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nice2meetu 

So did you try that app that gminkwak found?

Nice2meetu

Thank you for your patience. I had it all there but unfortunately deleted the whole thing ... Anyway, to continue.

I entered the numbers you gave me into a new apn, so now I have two. The same as you.

Still doesn't work.

Just to confirm, with the new apn, the letters are now 'isp.mb.com' and not 'sp.mb.com

(Whew!)

Thank you

Nice2meetu

I will try the new numbers. 

I would like to tell you, I don't have the option at the bottom for "apn able/disable", unless it appears after putting in the stuff.

I'll let you know in 7 min.

Thanks

Screenshot_20200821-191122.png

@Nice2meetu 

Screenshot_20200706-135925.png

Nice2meetu

In case you ask for it, this is a screenshot of what I have for t

Screenshot_2020-08-21-22-07-23.png

Screenshot_2020-08-21-22-07-28.png

he apn name ...

Nice2meetu

Thank you for your time to try to resolve my very very very frustrating issue. 

I may add, I have many posts and have tried many fixes as were posted on here.

Unfortunately, it didn't. 

I have tried adding "default,mms,supl,dun" to the apn type.

As well, every other function works except any type of tethering. I get the same message.

Thanks

@Nice2meetu as long as your Apn settings are correct and you can send and recive mms messages. Try adding dun to your APN type. No spaces. Save it and see if this stabilizes your hotspot. 

APN type: default,mms,supl,dun

Also here's an article on setting up hotspots https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/mobile-hotspot

Nice2meetu

It's me again just adding that my phone is an LG Venture with Android 7.

Thanks

Nice2meetu

I have the exact issue and have tried the multiple fixes but still doesn't enable a hotspot.

Does anybody know if this solution worked. This is where the thread ends for me. 

Thank you in advance

gminkwak

I found a solution! Hopefully this works for other people:

1. Download "Settings Database Editor" at the playstore. The icon is a blue cog with red background.
2. Open the app then select "system"
3. Find "tether_entitlement_check_state" then set it to "0".
4. Save.

gminkwak

Yes, that's as far as my APN settings go and no spaces. I've tried all possible combinations...

gminkwak

Yes I've tried adding new APN with isp.mb.com doesn't work.

Maybe like you said it's because of where I got my LG G6. I didn't buy the phone myself but I believe this is from Hongkong... so maybe it's disabled 😞

gminkwak

The device I'm trying to activate mobile hotspot does this, not the one I'm trying to connect to.

@gminkwak reset the network settings and restart, don't change the APN settings. make sure you check limit mobile data usage and keep the AP frequency to 2.4ghz and then try to connect your device and see what happens also try switching to HSPA+ instead of LTE. maybe your LTE signal is too weak.

@gminkwak 

I would try to add a new and seperate APN using:

isp.mb.com with APN type of dun

Also, where did you get this LG G6. LG G6 sold by some carriers outside of Canada may have tethering disabled in the software.

Need Help? Let's chat.