cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Data working while turned off

joelmackenzie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey there, 

I think this may be a bug with my phone (Pixel 3a, Android 10), but maybe it has something to do with Public Moblie.

I'm on the $15 plan with only 250MB of data, so I keep data turned off most of the time so as to not use it up unintentially. But from time to time, while Mobile Data is turned off and I'm out of range of any wifi, I'll start getting notifications from messaging apps and email.  I am able to send messages as well while Mobile data is turned off.  I tried turning it on and then back off again, but was still able to send and recieve messages through apps like facebook and Google Hangouts. Airplane mode seemed to be the only thing that would stop it.  After rebooting the problem seems to go away for a while, but, for some unknown reason, it'll happen again later. 

I was also able to confirm that it was indeed mobile data being used as the meter in Android went up and I see roughly the same amount of usage on the Public Mobile website. 

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a way to make sure that absolutly no mobile data is used while it is turned off?

35 REPLIES 35

And check the "Allow use of cellular data when Wi-Fi is connected" setting too, which really shouldn't apply in your case:

WiFiImprove.png

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Try changing the setting "Mobile data always active" in the developer options. I agree though, with data disabled, this setting should not make a difference...

MobileDataAlwaysActive.png

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@joelmackenzie check to see if you have developer options on your phone. And if you do, see if the option for mobile data is always active is on. If you aren't a developer, I would recommend turning this option off. Once that is done, it disappears. Settings - system - advanced - developer options - mobile data always active - turn it off.

@joelmackenzie wrote:

Hey there, 

I think this may be a bug with my phone (Pixel 3a, Android 10), but maybe it has something to do with Public Moblie.

I'm on the $15 plan with only 250MB of data, so I keep data turned off most of the time so as to not use it up unintentially. But from time to time, while Mobile Data is turned off and I'm out of range of any wifi, I'll start getting notifications from messaging apps and email.  I am able to send messages as well while Mobile data is turned off.  I tried turning it on and then back off again, but was still able to send and recieve messages through apps like facebook and Google Hangouts. Airplane mode seemed to be the only thing that would stop it.  After rebooting the problem seems to go away for a while, but, for some unknown reason, it'll happen again later. 

I was also able to confirm that it was indeed mobile data being used as the meter in Android went up and I see roughly the same amount of usage on the Public Mobile website. 

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a way to make sure that absolutly no mobile data is used while it is turned off?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@joelmackenzie 

Your phone will have a setting to failover to cell data if weak or no wifi. Turn it off.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Nope never

Check your WiFi assist

Maybe if you allow it it will override everything when your WiFi drops.

Airplane mode would be ok as it would a shot off WiFi a least initially

Need Help? Let's chat.