cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Data not working

awk321
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently bought the Umidigi X (Android) phone off Amazon. I was already a Public Mobile customer before. It allows me to text but not able to use data. I can't change or add a new APN. It says there are 2 Telus APN, even though it's unlocked and using my PM SIM card. It just sits there all grey and unable to add/edit. Is there anything I can do?

Please help

10 REPLIES 10

@will13am wrote:

I need to find a phone running on android 8.1 so I can test this out.  I have a few old Wind SIM cards in the shoe box.  I know that carrier phones can have butchered APN configuration files.  Typically, non carrier phones don't have this problem as the APN configuration file is complete with entries for every carrier in the world. 

I've seen on some phones for which the manufactuer made a mistake in the APN settings.  I've previously had Nokia and Asus devices that had errors in the preprogrammed settings.  The Asus model was even Android-based.

awk321

Thanks, I was not aware of this issue beforehand. I hope it works

@computergeek541 wrote:

@awk321 wrote:

I recently bought the Umidigi X (Android) phone off Amazon. I was already a Public Mobile customer before. It allows me to text but not able to use data. I can't change or add a new APN. It says there are 2 Telus APN, even though it's unlocked and using my PM SIM card. It just sits there all grey and unable to add/edit. Is there anything I can do?

Please help

If the Public Mobile APN isn't there and it doesn't allow you to either edit or add, one way to get around this (I've never tired) is to use either a Roam Mobility or Freedom Mobile sim card.  When that sim card is in the phone, add a Public Mobile APN.

I need to find a phone running on android 8.1 so I can test this out.  I have a few old Wind SIM cards in the shoe box.  I know that carrier phones can have butchered APN configuration files.  Typically, non carrier phones don't have this problem as the APN configuration file is complete with entries for every carrier in the world. 

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi awk321,

If you need further help, feel free to submit a ticket through SIMon, our virtual assistant and we will take a look into your situation.

Regards,

Ciprian

PM Mod Team.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@awk321  First check for and install the latest updates for your phone. Go into the Access Points menu and hit reset to default. Then go into preferred network. Is there a Public Mobile entry? If not create one. Set Network ID to 302220 and network type to 3G/4G. Select the newly network and check the APN is it there? If not, reset to default power down your device remove your sim, wait 15 minutes, insert the sim power up and test to see if data is working.

If it's still not working maybe try a factory reset.

@awk321 wrote:

Does the Sim have to activate? Or alternatively could I use someone's active card to do it? 

Thanks

No, the Freedom or Roam sim card doesn't need to be active, although I have no personal experience with this process.

awk321

Does the Sim have to activate? Or alternatively could I use someone's active card to do it? 

Thanks

awk321

Yeah, I have it in slot 1 and it's running Android 9.0 out of the box. I'm confused about why I can't use data or add a APN?

I hope someone has a solution

@awk321 wrote:

Please help

If the Public Mobile APN isn't there and it doesn't allow you to either edit or add, one way to get around this (I've never tired) is to use either a Roam Mobility or Freedom Mobile sim card.  When that sim card is in the phone, add a Public Mobile APN.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@awk321 , I am using a Umidigi A5 pro purchased from Amazon recently.  The Public Mobile APN is on file and I did not have to do anything to use data.  I can't imagine they would have the right APN data for Public Mobile and not incorporate the same into all their phones.  This is a dual SIM phone.  Are you able to put the SIM card in slot 1 if you have not done so?  Maybe that might help.  I am certain that the loss of the add APN option was on android 8.1 only.  The Umidigi runs android 9 or 10.  

Need Help? Let's chat.