cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mms issue

Darkebane
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am having sending and receive mms.

Im using a huawei p10, stock messaging app sends and Recieves mms fine.

The issue is there is no group chat on the stock app, which I use a lot for work. 

I've been trying multiple different apps, but none of which are able to send/receive mms. 

I have tried changing the apn settings as listed in results of a search I did, but nothing seems to work. 

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and found a work around? 

Or maybe can suggest a new app that has group chat ability, that I can try. 

Thank you in advance. 

22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I seem to think the OP indicated that single MMS works fine.

@srlawren 

Maybe @Darkebane  needs more: 

default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri    .....and sometimes dun

@dlambro wrote:

@Darkebane :  Make sure you have Data and MMS messaging enabled on your account, meaning you need to have a Data plan to be able to send group MMS.  Talk and Text plans will not allow you to send MMS over wifi.  If you have a data plan, make sure you have Data turned ON.  If you turned the Data off on your phone, MMS will not work, even if you use wifi to send the message, you must have DATA turned on for it to work.

@dlambro You do not need a data plan nor a data add on in your account for MMS to work. You are correct that you do need to have data enabled / turned on.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Darkebane double-check that the APNtype field in your APN for Public Mobile has mms in it.  Mine says:

default,supl,mms

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

dlambro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Darkebane :  Make sure you have Data and MMS messaging enabled on your account, meaning you need to have a Data plan to be able to send group MMS.  Talk and Text plans will not allow you to send MMS over wifi.  If you have a data plan, make sure you have Data turned ON.  If you turned the Data off on your phone, MMS will not work, even if you use wifi to send the message, you must have DATA turned on for it to work.

Check your phone to ensure you have it set up correctly, for Android phones, 

1. Go to the main screen of your messaging app and tap the menu icon or menu key (on the bottom of the phone); then tap Settings.
  2. If Group Messaging isn't in this first menu it may be in the SMS or MMS menus. 
  3. Under Group Messaging, enable MMS.

I hope this helps. 

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Darkebane :The phone company has no effect on which apps you can use, what apps work depend only on your phone.

Darkebane

Negative, isn't the phone. 

This phone was on the bell network prior to public mobile, and I could use any app I wanted there, and it worked. 

TheGx

@Darkebane :It's confusing that Signal fails to send/receive pictures and videos for you, because it can do it for me and everyone else I know - so the problem had to be your phone must be not allowing any other app to be your default messenger - some Chinese phones like Oppo won't allow other apps to be default except for their apps that are installed on the phone and can't even be uninstalled.

Darkebane

Ok it seems this is a bit confusing for people, so let's try this again.

All I want to do, is find a messaging app that is able to do group messages, as well as send & receive mms(pictures & videos). 

My stock messaging app, can send & receive pics&vids, but doesn't handle group messages as a group chat(there are also no settings to be able to change how it handles these). 

All the other 3rd part messaging apps that I have tried (chompsms, textra, signal, pulse.) fail to send & receive pictures and videos. 

If I could get a 3rd party messaging app to be able to send and receive pictures & videos, I would be happy. 

TheGx

@Darkebane :Usually the stock messaging apps and anything already installed on your phone to no good to begin with because they are installed there for they or best interests and can get away with in because most are too unknowing to stop using them, except for stuff on the Apple products most things included on your phone or computer is bad.

Did you try Signal too send to whoever doesn't have it? It will send sms and etc to whoever doesn't have Signal too.

Darkebane

Stock app can send mms(pictures/videos) , but not group messages. 

I'm looking for a new app that can do group messages. 

But all the new apps I try, will do group messages, but fail to send/receive mms (pictures, videos) 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Darkebane : wait...weren't you talking about group mms? Are you saying none of the other apps can do one mms but your stock one can?

Darkebane

I just looked at it again and enabled it for everyone else. 

But it still fails to send mms.

This is a tad aggravating. 

Why would the stock messaging app on my phone be able to do it, but no other sms apps I download, be able to? 

TheGx

@Darkebane : Actually Signal can send regular sms and MMS too now - they've updated it so you can set it as default sms app now so you can use with others that don't have Signal. It better than all those other apps stealing your info somehow.

Darkebane

Signal only works if the person you're trying to message with it, also has signal. 

And not everyone I talk to has signal. 

Darkebane

No, the stock messaging app on my phone doesnt have group messaging options. 

That is why I'm trying to find a new sms app, but all the new ones I try, fail to send/receive mms messages. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Darkebane : I have Google Messages (but not default as I use the stock Samsung app) and I can see all the group messaging options in it. They're greyed out but I wonder if that's because it's not the default app. Are you saying you don't see group messaging options anywhere in it?

TheGx

@Darkebane :Try Signal Private Messenger, it uses less data and protects your privacy too and should have group chat and group video calls etc everything other apps have - I never tried group chat but it should have it.

Darkebane

The default app on my phone has no option for group chats. 

Darkebane

Google messages is the one I have most recently tried, and it's a no go. Along with pulse, chomp, textra 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Found this, @Darkebane , no idea if it's helpful, but I'll copy/paste:

In the default messaging app, under the More -> Setttings -> Advanced" menu there is a "Group Messaging" option. Under this option there are two settings to choose from. The first option is "Send SMS to all recipients, and receive individual replies (group SMS)". This option is the default behavior for the phone. The second option is "Send MMS to all recipients (group MMS). This is the option I would like to set. The group MMS option keeps the messages from all participants in the conversation in a single thread. The default actions sends the messages individually to each person so all the replies are individual as well and not part of the group.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Darkebane : If you're able to browse the internet and send/receive MMS (not just SMS) then your APN is fine.

As for a different app, what exact app are you using. I seem to think Google Messages would.

Need Help? Let's chat.