cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Maze Alpha

Thanks @sheytoon, I always thought SMS needed a 3G connection, but I'm happy to be wrong about that.  So, in theory, someone with an overseas phone that lacked B2 & B5 3G but had at least some compatible 4G bands could, in theory, still use the phone on a text + data plan, and use a VoIP app like Fongo or VoIP.ms for their calling needs.  Interesting.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes, @srlawren, you got it!

@TranQQ, how has this been working out for you?

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

4G and LTE works,

Still can't call anyone or vice versa.

Texting works. 

Switched back to my old phone for the time being...

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

TranQQ,

I am extremely interested in how you got to where you're at with connecting. You are seeing and activating a data network and that's far beyond what I can get. I get zilch. I've tried dozens of APN settings and nothing works in the least. Can you share if there's some little setting or extra that you've done which allowed you to get to where you are?

If I could have data, at least I could use Hangouts to call and send text through. Internet calls would be better than nothing.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

pphilipp

@pphilipp

Where are you located? LTE B7 is not available everywhere. That's the only band that your phone supports on the network, and it's your only hope for data connectivity.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I actually have a6gb version on the way (hoping this meek or next)

I ran am imei from a YouTube vid I checked out and it’s said it would work (public mobile site)

But now after reading threw this thread, it looks like I’ll have to figure some stuff out. 

The radio has to do with what the SoC can support, now with it using the p25 (Mediatek) it *should* in theory support more LTE and HSDPA/HSUPA bands. So I’ll extract the radio image and see if I can mod it. Ive done this on the original Note 1 (to support aws) as well as some other phones. 

Once I have mine in hand, and if I’m successful with modding the radio, I’ll post about it. 

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@sheytoon

I'm far out in the rural area and evidently I don't receive the right signal here.

@pphilipp

Absolutely. B7 is only deployed in urban and some suburban areas, never rural.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Had my Alpha for a couple of days now. No luck with anything. 

Cant even connect to LTE here (Calgary) 

ive been messing around with a couple tools and have even contacted Maze directly to see if they can “help”. 

The phone one is great overeat. The processor is comparable to a Snapdragon 820 (geekbench scores) Display is great, camera is meh. Overall it’s a great phone at a fantastic price. Too bad it looks like it’s good for Rogers/Fido ....... for now. 

If any tech heads out there wanna lend a hand, that would be great. 

Maybe someone more skilled than me can extract the radio/modem from the stock software and poke around while I mess with the nvram partitions.