Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maze Alpha

TranQQ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

I just got this phone 

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_647665.html?wid=11

However, the network for public mobile isn't showing up. 

Even tried to add the APN but still no network.

Oh...wow, I checked the IMEI number on public mobile's site and it says my phone doesn't work with Public Mobile. However I saw a few post that says the LTE works for it...

50 REPLIES 50

@Abdulhannanmiah wrote:

Hello BR's

I am also user a maze alpha. I am satisfied also some issue I solved  battery drained fast controlled by download .the camera under  and it need back site up. I try to VoIP call but it no successful it showing registered VoIP but call fail also all account I'd  correct. Now I doubt my sim carrier problem or phone?plz say if u have experience any.

This phone is almost entirely incompatible with Public Mobile.  In short, it only has one compatible band for LTE data (that is a really high frequency with weak signal), and it will not work for any phone call services.

Abdulhannanmiah
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello BR's

I am also user a maze alpha. I am satisfied also some issue I solved  battery drained fast controlled by download .the camera under  and it need back site up. I try to VoIP call but it no successful it showing registered VoIP but call fail also all account I'd  correct. Now I doubt my sim carrier problem or phone?plz say if u have experience any.

Gairth

Thanks to all for your helpful replies.

What a great resource !

G

Should be the same for all of their sub-brands. They only broadcast 302-720.

@Gairth wrote:

Hello,

One more question.

Do all the providers that use the Rogers network get the same reception on the same frequencies from all their towers.

Or, in other words, could I be in range of a Rogers tower that would work for my phone if I were a rogers subscriber but not work for me if I am signed up with Petrocan or Fido?

Thanks for all replies.

Gary

@Gairth

Can't comment on any questions about this phone, sorry. But...

When I was a SpeakOut customer (MVNO on the Rogers network) I had the same reception as my friend who was on a Rogers post paid plan at the time. However, that reference check was in 2013 or 2014 in a rural area, so things might have changed and YMMV depending on a wide variety of factors.

Gairth

Hello,

One more question.

Do all the providers that use the Rogers network get the same reception on the same frequencies from all their towers.

Or, in other words, could I be in range of a Rogers tower that would work for my phone if I were a rogers subscriber but not work for me if I am signed up with Petrocan or Fido?

Thanks for all replies.

Gary

Gairth

Thank you for your reply.

I called Rogers and seems that it will work well as a phone...which is what I would like.

So seemingly the others on the same network shouold work as well.

Please keep me posted on your progress.

Gary

pphilipp

I have come up with an almost perfect solution for myself, which probably isn't ideal for everyone. A couple of years ago I started using an iPad mini with a SIM card to answer calls through Google Hangouts. The iPad was used for the majority of my computing needs as well. It served the double purpose of pseudo phone and pseudo computer. I rarely ever use a laptop or a desktop computer for anything. But I had to use a Bluetooth earpiece if I wanted a private phone conversation.

I have now connected/tethered the Maze Alpha through Bluetooth to the iPad mini where it is functioning as the handheld data device which I answer calls on while the mini stays in my shoulder bag, (only being used when I need the larger screen and specific business apps, etc.). The hardware on the Maze is so good that it's a high-end device in its on right and compliments the iPad perfectly. This Bluetooth tethering is producing a double device situation which is working out splendidly. Of course both devices connect to wifi for the same purpose when wifi is available. Additionally it appears my monthly expense will be lowering as well for various reasons. I will try this for a month and see if it continues to work as well as it has the past couple of days.

Asian_sensation
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So far the only thing ive found that works is 2g for voice and text, so Fido, Rogres, Chatr and I think 7-11 speak out and Petro can and Mobilicity (if you can find any active stores left) 

I couldnt get a speed test to even run while using a Rogers Sim, calls and texts work fine.

So if you just need it for calling and or texting, thoes would be the carriers you could use it on.

I am still messing around with it, trying different things, but Im down to my last couple options and I still need to figure out a bunch of stuff. Had me so pissed off I went and bought an Iphone 8+ 

Gairth

Has anyone discovered any carrier in Canada that works with the Maze Alpha?

Gairth

Aha! 'Tis as I suspected.

And thinking about it, that would be a lot to pay per MB esp at such slow speeds

Hopefully, when all the phones become untied, things will be more competative.

Thank you very much for your answer.

It's Shaw Open and fongo for me for the next while.

Gary

@Gairth

It will work on Rogers, but data will be extremely slow at 2G speeds (less than 0.5 Mbps). I wouldn't recommend 2G data for anything other than basic text emails, instant messaging, and very simple websites.

Gairth

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help with a question.

Petrocan offers a GREAT (for me ) plan. 

https://mobility.petro-canada.ca/anytime-plan.aspx

$100...good for 1 year...etc

BUT it needs " Device must be UMTS/HSPA compatible on 850/1900Mhz bands. (SIM Types 2FF, 3FF, and 4FF)"

The FF is OK

They use the ROGERS network

I ONLY need it for DATA

SO: my question, (based on what I have been reading in this thread), is,

Will this service work for Data with my maze alpha? If it matters, I live on Salt Spring Island BC and will use the phone primarily in Victoria.

I would be very greatful for any replies. Petrocan can not (?will not) advise.

Thank you to all,

Gary

Asian_sensation

Honestly for $80 that’s a **bleep** good price. Plus if you travel overseas, you’re covered. 

For me personally, I’m looking to do the opposite, as in carry less stuff lol. 

I wanted something big with good battery life and expandable memory as it’s a pain to carry around a tablet and cell if I’m out for a while. 

Plus I have a couple phones that I use and tablets as well as my 2-1 laptop. 

I’m done with it though..... for today lol. I’ll be tinkering with it tomorrow most likely hahaha

pphilipp

I've had mine over a week and have yet to get it to connect to a cell band.

BUT that said, I have been using it as an internet/data/wifi device and it is an incredible experience. When I'm at the office or at home it connects to their wifi, and when I'm mobile or somewhere else it connects (tethered) to a portable hotspot. My calls are forwarded to Google Hangouts so it is still functioning as a cellphone in all practicality... and it sounds great.

I bought mine slightly used by someone who was upset they couldn't connect to cellular. I only paid $80 and the hardware is incredible and it practically compares to devices costing ten times as much. Because the hardware is so much better than my other cheap cellphones I will probably put up with my tethered work-around for a while.

So if you love the phone and can keep it tethered to a hotspot, this is the best solution I have found.

Asian_sensation

Thanks, im need a break as this is pissing me off to the point where im ready to smash the phone lol.

I wasnt able to see these networks (as posted in the pic) before I messeed with some stuff. 

Realistically though, Im about done with this thing. I dont wanna brick it as I can send it to a family member in EU.

But at the same time, Im really starting to like this phone hahaha. F it, maybe I'll switch to Rogers, LOL

@Asian_sensation

Good luck and keep us posted, but from what I know, the chipset is not the only hardware requirement for band support.

The reason you're seeing some networks is because your phone's B1 radio can detect B4 downlink, as they overlap.

Asian_sensation

Well this is a tease, lol.Well this is a tease, lol.

Asian_sensation

And on a side note  Voice over LTE is enabled threw their last update. 

Asian_sensation

Not true at all. The P25 does support the bands needed as well as others. 

Its enableing the bands is the actual problem. 

The Alpha (as well as most other China phones) are only meant for that market , which mean they enable the bands intended for that market (and also it has to do with licensing fees but that’s nothing I wish to get into) 

So it’s either in the radio/modern firmware or the nvram partition. 

@Asian_sensation

Unfortunately you're out of luck. The hardware doesn't support the bands you need. Only LTE B7 will work where supported. No amount of software changes can fix that 😞

The only other hope is VoLTE (assuming this phone supports it, which is a big assumption) and nobody knows when that will come to PM.

Asian_sensation

Had my Alpha for a couple of days now. No luck with anything. 

Cant even connect to LTE here (Calgary) 

ive been messing around with a couple tools and have even contacted Maze directly to see if they can “help”. 

The phone one is great overeat. The processor is comparable to a Snapdragon 820 (geekbench scores) Display is great, camera is meh. Overall it’s a great phone at a fantastic price. Too bad it looks like it’s good for Rogers/Fido ....... for now. 

If any tech heads out there wanna lend a hand, that would be great. 

Maybe someone more skilled than me can extract the radio/modem from the stock software and poke around while I mess with the nvram partitions. 

@pphilipp

Absolutely. B7 is only deployed in urban and some suburban areas, never rural.

pphilipp

@sheytoon

I'm far out in the rural area and evidently I don't receive the right signal here.

Asian_sensation

I actually have a6gb version on the way (hoping this meek or next)

I ran am imei from a YouTube vid I checked out and it’s said it would work (public mobile site)

But now after reading threw this thread, it looks like I’ll have to figure some stuff out. 

The radio has to do with what the SoC can support, now with it using the p25 (Mediatek) it *should* in theory support more LTE and HSDPA/HSUPA bands. So I’ll extract the radio image and see if I can mod it. Ive done this on the original Note 1 (to support aws) as well as some other phones. 

Once I have mine in hand, and if I’m successful with modding the radio, I’ll post about it. 

@pphilipp

Where are you located? LTE B7 is not available everywhere. That's the only band that your phone supports on the network, and it's your only hope for data connectivity.

pphilipp

TranQQ,

I am extremely interested in how you got to where you're at with connecting. You are seeing and activating a data network and that's far beyond what I can get. I get zilch. I've tried dozens of APN settings and nothing works in the least. Can you share if there's some little setting or extra that you've done which allowed you to get to where you are?

If I could have data, at least I could use Hangouts to call and send text through. Internet calls would be better than nothing.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

pphilipp

TranQQ

4G and LTE works,

Still can't call anyone or vice versa.

Texting works. 

Switched back to my old phone for the time being...

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@TranQQ, how has this been working out for you?

Yes, @srlawren, you got it!

Need Help? Let's chat.