Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maze Alpha

TranQQ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

I just got this phone 

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_647665.html?wid=11

However, the network for public mobile isn't showing up. 

Even tried to add the APN but still no network.

Oh...wow, I checked the IMEI number on public mobile's site and it says my phone doesn't work with Public Mobile. However I saw a few post that says the LTE works for it...

50 REPLIES 50

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks @sheytoon, I always thought SMS needed a 3G connection, but I'm happy to be wrong about that.  So, in theory, someone with an overseas phone that lacked B2 & B5 3G but had at least some compatible 4G bands could, in theory, still use the phone on a text + data plan, and use a VoIP app like Fongo or VoIP.ms for their calling needs.  Interesting.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

With the network not showing up in a network scan, that means that there is either no network coverage at that location/at that time, or that the phone just isn't compatible (or has been set to a network type that the carrier doesn't possess).

No amount of changing APN  settings is going to make the network show up. APN settings only make the internet work.  They do not control the phone's connection to the network, and with a compatible phone, voice and texts would work even if the APNs were set incorrectly.

@TranQQ, @srlawren

SMS and MMS will work fine on LTE. Only voice calls need 3G.

2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz 
3G: WCDMA 900/2100MHz 
4G: FDD-LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600MHz

That phone only has B7 LTE support, which is limited deployment and coverage. Unfortunately it doesn't have B2 or B5 support for 3G. As a result, you will absolutely NOT have any voice calls.

TranQQ

Yeah, I don't know what's going on with it either,

Appreciate the help though, thank you.

srlawren

@TranQQ interesting!  the gearbest listing must be incorrect then, becuase it lists 3G bands 1 and 8 while PM runs on 2 and 5.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

TranQQ

yes it is through the default SMS

srlawren

@TranQQ could it have been an MMS message rather than SMS?  MMS is delivered over mobile data, so if your LTE connection is working, you'd be okay there.  But SMS comes over the 3G UMTS network just like voice calls, meaning in theory both should work or neither.  It's also possible you have an account issue affecting voice calls, I suppose.

TranQQ

I was testing it out with my brother, he is using a 1 plus 3 also on Public Mobile.

I wasn't connected to Wifi, was sending him a text back through the phone and it worked,

he tried calling me and i tried calling him after but it didn't work.

srlawren

@TranQQ that's weird that texting works but not calls... usually it's both or neither

TranQQ

My apologies was still trying to get it to work,

Text messaging works for the phone, the data works. Just the can't call or receive any phone calls. 

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

@koimr1 I wouldn't hold your breath, since the phone appears to be lacking the required 850MHz and 1900MHz 3G UMTS bands needed for calls and texts.  This phone would work fine with Rogers/Fido/Chatr using Rogers' 2G GSM network for calls and texts and 4G LTE for data.  But not so much on Telus/Koodo/PM/Bell/Virgin/Solo

Yes, I know which is why I hope @TranQQ gets back to us as he says he got it working meaning the listed specs were wrong.

But I am seeing nothing to indicate it will work properly here. On Amazon one supplier is saying it won't work in the US but "they have applied for the network", whatever that means.

srlawren

@koimr1 I wouldn't hold your breath, since the phone appears to be lacking the required 850MHz and 1900MHz 3G UMTS bands needed for calls and texts.  This phone would work fine with Rogers/Fido/Chatr using Rogers' 2G GSM network for calls and texts and 4G LTE for data.  But not so much on Telus/Koodo/PM/Bell/Virgin/Solo

koimr1

And? 🙂

I'm curious as this has some pretty nice specs for the price.

@koimr1 wrote:

@xCameron94x wrote:

LTE will work, but 3G won't. You won't be able to make phone calls on the 3G network, you will have to use some sort of VoIP service (fongo, Google Hangouts) if you want to make calls

Is that correct for LTE? It appears to support band 7 only for Telus/PM which I didn't think was in wide use here in Canada.

the phone also supports band 4 LTE

TranQQ

I fixed the issue, the phone is working now. I just have to figure out if calling other people works. 

koimr1

Sorry, your friend has one as well and it works? Or that yours should work? What is he saying that works - voice/text or data?

TranQQ

My friend is saying it works, 

I can see Public Mobile 4G in the APN but it's having issues connecting to it. 

koimr1

@xCameron94x wrote:

LTE will work, but 3G won't. You won't be able to make phone calls on the 3G network, you will have to use some sort of VoIP service (fongo, Google Hangouts) if you want to make calls

Is that correct for LTE? It appears to support band 7 only for Telus/PM which I didn't think was in wide use here in Canada.

koimr1

From what I can find, your device supports the following:

2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 900/2100MHz
4G: FDD-LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600MHz

I don't think your Maze is compatible at all. Hopefully someone else will chime in and confirm (I can never figure this out) but looking at the charts this won't work.

Need Help? Let's chat.