cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOTOROLA FLIPOUT - MB511 2010 ANDROID DEVICE COMPATIBILITY

C-LCM
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I was just wondering if a MOTOROLA FLIPOUT - MB511 android phone from 2010 can still be used to access the PUBLIC MOBILE phone and data services. I had inserted my PUBLIC MOBILE SIM into the device earlier today, entered the correct APN variables into their respective text fields but had not been able to see it working. As far as I can recall, the device has already been unlocked.
    - Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

@C-LCM wrote:

@Anonymous  @RosieR  @Korth @computergeek541 I'd gone with the same procedures and now I'm using the PUBLIC MOBILE SIM on a MOTOROLA CHARM MB502, the only issue being that I currently have no idea of how I can turn off the mobile data with it always on unless I have AIRPLANE MODE active.

My A8 has it under Data usage. A slider called Mobile data..

C-LCM

@Anonymous  @RosieR  @Korth @computergeek541 I'd gone with the same procedures and now I'm using the PUBLIC MOBILE SIM on a MOTOROLA CHARM MB502, the only issue being that I currently have no idea of how I can turn off the mobile data with it always on unless I have AIRPLANE MODE active.

@computergeek541 

Then the real question is why can't this old quad-band 2G phone detect a compatible local Rogers network?

@Korth wrote:

"MacKenzie, BC and along the Highway 11 corridor east and west of Kapuskasing, ON" along with "some coverage footprint in various rural areas" didn't seem like a whole lot of Canada to me. I invented the number "less than 1%" to emphasize my point.

That description means those areas only have Rogers 2g coverage and that's what Wikipedia says. They're not even talking about total 2g coverage area in the country. Rogers 2g covers some places where Rogers HSPA(3g) has never existed. I know 100% for certain that Rogers 2g exists inside the city of Toronto. As for Wikipedia accuracy, anybody can change the information there, and Wikipedia is full of incorrect information.

The Rogers 2g network for the most part is still there in most of the Canada's populated area.  They will only start decomissioning when the year ends.

@computergeek541 wrote:

Where are you getting this 1% number from?  Decommisioning by Rogers is set to start on December 31. It has not started yet.  1% of the total area? Maybe, but you can say that about any of the networks. The Rogers 2g network is stiill running and covers the vast majority of the populated areas. I even just set my phone to 2g only, and yes, the Rogers network is there.

I found some archived coverage maps of Rogers 2G which looked impressive. Rogers actually installed a lot of it up to around 2018. But all of these maps are years obsolete and times change and we all know Rogers 2G will shutdown before end of 2020  - so I assumed this once-glorious coverage no longer applies and Wikipedia info would not be terribly inaccurate.

"MacKenzie, BC and along the Highway 11 corridor east and west of Kapuskasing, ON" along with "some coverage footprint in various rural areas" didn't seem like a whole lot of Canada to me. I invented the number "less than 1%" to emphasize my point.

Impending death of 2G (and GPRS, EDGE, etc) once concerned me since they affect IoT, telematics, and telemetry devices I use somewhat regularly. But I haven't kept myself very informed about 2G for a while because I discovered 3G and 4G part replacements.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth 

Hey man I'm with ya. I "clung" to my BB OS10 as my daily driver until security issues became more of a hindrance than a defense and that the runtime Android 4.4 apps were more and more obsolete. I would still argue that it's a better OS than the other fruity thing and anything Android. But it works perfectly fine as a phone and text machine.

@Anonymous wrote:

@C-LCM wrote:

@Anonymous Yes, I had previously used the phone with FIDO before I came to PUBLIC but there had been issues with the device even then.

Dude...time to put it out to pasture. I think it has given it's all to your service and owes you nothing. You've eked all the value out of it that it has to offer.

^^^ this by @Anonymous . @C-LCM I think a funeral service for your beloved phone is in order. 😁

@Anonymous 

For some of us there just ain't no substitute for a built-in physical keyboard. We'd take a device with real physical buttons over a touchscreen any day. If any decent devices actually offered the option anymore.

I clung to my old LG phone until 2016. Even though it was already approaching obsolescence when I bought it in 2012. I was forced to upgrade away from it most reluctantly - it still worked (and still works) perfectly - it even has sufficient hardware oomphf for basic use - it just has unacceptable software compatibility.

The thing is also nigh-indestructable. It survived being lost in snow for a week. It survived jumping off a motorcycle. It survived being run over by the Skytrain (lol, long story).

Since 2016 I've somehow smashed or drowned four phones. All "ruggedized" and "IP-rated", drop-proof, shock-proof, spill-proof, immersion-proof, armoured, and shielded. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

@Korth wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:
Both would still see Rogers. The version with HSPA 850/1900 also won't work with the likes of Freedom/Shaw, Videotron, etc.

Why would they see Rogers network? Rogers 2G coverage is probably less than 1% of Canada, and disappearing fast, if not completely gone already.

I can't imagine Freedom/Shaw and other "small" carriers being strictly radio-incompatible (for basic talk and 911, at the minimum) with the Big Three.

Where are you getting this 1% number from?  Decommisioning by Rogers is set to start on December 31. It has not started yet.  1% of the total area? Maybe, but you can say that about any of the networks. The Rogers 2g network is stiill running and covers the vast majority of the populated areas. I even just set my phone to 2g only, and yes, the Rogers network is there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@C-LCM wrote:

@Anonymous Yes, I had previously used the phone with FIDO before I came to PUBLIC but there had been issues with the device even then.

Dude...time to put it out to pasture. I think it has given it's all to your service and owes you nothing. You've eked all the value out of it that it has to offer.

@computergeek541 wrote:
Both would still see Rogers. The version with HSPA 850/1900 also won't work with the likes of Freedom/Shaw, Videotron, etc.

Why would they see Rogers network? Rogers 2G coverage is probably less than 1% of Canada, and disappearing fast, if not completely gone already.

I can't imagine Freedom/Shaw and other "small" carriers being strictly radio-incompatible (for basic talk and 911, at the minimum) with the Big Three.

@C-LCM wrote:

Issues such as?

On Fido, did it work on the 3g network?

If you had issues with it before, it may be time to consider a new device, not only because a lack of speed and RAM in this device, but also for a newer operating system and security updates.

C-LCM

@Korth wrote:

Apparently there were two MB511 variants. (Different from the ME511 Chinese variant.)

Both support GSM 850/900/1800/1900 - so they were both marketed as "Quad-band" devices.

But one version supports HSPA 900/2100 and the other supports HSPA 850/1900.

One will work with Public Mobile (and Telus, and all other Canadian carriers).

The other won't even see the Canadian networks.

Apparently there were two MB511 variants. (Different from the ME511 Chinese variant.)

Both support GSM 850/900/1800/1900 - so they were both marketed as "Quad-band" devices.

But one version supports HSPA 900/2100 and the other supports HSPA 850/1900.

One will work with Public Mobile (and Telus, and all other Canadian carriers).

The other won't even see the Canadian networks.

A firmware (OS) upgrade might fix radio incompatibility. Assuming the radio hardware is the same in both variants but the firmware/software limits which radio can be used (for certain carriers or for certain regions).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@C-LCM wrote:

@Anonymous Yes, I had tried calling my home landline number but it returned with "Not registered on the network".

Will any other SIM work in there?

hmm What're the chances it's locked to a previous or original provider?

C-LCM

@Anonymous Yes, I had tried calling my home landline number but it returned with "Not registered on the network".

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where you found 3G before...are there any other options in there? And if so which?

C-LCM

@Korth I had previously looked into Cyanogen for the device but I couldn't find a mod with functionality for phone calling.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried to make a call? Or send a text? Put aside data for now.

C-LCM

@Anonymous manual network scan results with it bringing me back to the "Operator selection" and "Available Networks" panel. Doesn't show with anything listed.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Flipout

Cyanogen operating system is available for this device. I haven't used the device but I have used the modded OS on an ancient LG Eclypse phone. It's basically a generic Gingerbread Android and it greatly increased compatibility with apps and websites.

Seems a shame to have a phone with dedicated physical keyboard which wouldn't be compatible with anything anymore. Gingerbread apps are already nearly extinct, apps from even more antique Androids are probably gone forever. It was the reason I ultimately abandoned my favourite old slider phone - dialing and texting had become slow and clunky, browser no longer worked on 99% of webpages, unable to find newer old softwares which would make it work better.

The best keyboard-equipped smartphones available (that I'm aware of) are Blackberry Androids. Haven't tried one, they're kinda spendy and look flimsy, but they generally receive positive reviews.

C-LCM

@Anonymous Yes, it had worked on a Sony phone that I had also been using with PUBLIC. I'm only able to manually shut the phone off and power it back on for the Motorola. I had done so just now but the network still hasn't connected.

C-LCM

@Anonymous The OS version on it is Android 2.1 Eclair. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some reviews are saying it's from AT&T. Some mention the right frequencies.

What's the OS version on that thing too?

C-LCM

@gblackma Yes, that should be the one.
However, it seems that the talk/text is not available as of now even. On the network signal, it shows a "red interdictory circle" and looks to be that PUBLIC is not in delivery.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@C-LCM wrote:

@Anonymous There is an option in the device settings to change preference to 3G which I'd just done, but the network still has got the "red interdictory circle" indication on it while showing no signal.

So first of all...does the SIM and account work in any other phone?

Did you restart after that? Maybe try a manual network scan and see if it sees this place.

C-LCM

@Anonymous There is an option in the device settings to change preference to 3G which I'd just done, but the network still has got the "red interdictory circle" indication on it while showing no signal.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@C-LCM if its this phone https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_flipout-3271.php it has the required 3g bands. Will work for talk only. I don't know about data. Stay safe. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's no LTE but it looks like there's a chance it might work for talk/text and 3G data. Set the network to UMTS or 3G or HSDPA. Not just GSM.

But that's quite the antique now.

Need Help? Let's chat.