cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS and data

DeepState
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi friends,

Does sends and MMS use your data allotment or does it draw from the unlimited testing?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@DeepState , MMS messages have to go through data but they do NOT count toward your date usage.  On my Pixel 3a, I always keep Mobile Data off.  I have an option on my phone where I can continue to send MMS with the Data off.  Some phones may not support this feature.  When you send/receive a MMS text, your usage history will immediately show this as a Data Event.  If you send/receive MMS with pics, your usage history will show the mobile data used as a Web Event the next day.  However, this data usage does not get applied as part of your data usage.  Hope this helps.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hi @DeepState 

As others mention, all current plans include "Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging".

You need to enable mobile data on your phone to send and receive MMS but the data consumed does not count towards your monthly plan. To avoid accidental data usage, I turn on my mobile data only for MMS messages and when I need it.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DeepState 

I have a $10 plan without any data.  I need to enable the data to send/receive MMS.  My plan does not have data and my picture MMS works.  PM uses different data server for MMS than your plan data server.

@DeepState wrote:

Hi friends,

Does sends and MMS use your data allotment or does it draw from the unlimited testing?

Thanks!

As @gpixel said , your plan data isn't used, but MMS aren't text messages. However, if you're on a $10 plan that only includes 50 outgoing messages, each MMS is supposed to count as 1 of the 50.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@DeepState hi, it doesn't count against your data allotment.

test it out to make sure. be aware that there is a 5mb buffer when data is enabled

Need Help? Let's chat.