cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS Won't Send While WIFI Is Turned On

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I've noticed this issue occuring with a lot of phones from the US, Whether they be from Verizon, T-Mobile, or Sprint. Personally, my phone is a Galaxy S7, from Sprint. The phone has been working fine for a couple years now, but i've always had this issue, that I just chose to ignore after spending countless hours searching for an answer. I figured I'd see if anybody here could help.

My phone will not send pictures through text, if my wifi is turned on. In order for it to work, I need to manually turn off wifi, and then it works perfectly. I've tried dozens of slightly different apn settings, and none have helped. This issue is currently happening on two other phones of friends, who are also with PM, and have the same phone as me.

My phone has the "network operators" option greyed out, and maybe that's a possible reason for the issue.

Before this S7, I had a similar issue with an S5, and all I had to change was one specific line, and that was "APN type", but I've not been able to figure it out on this phone. My current APN type is "default,supl,a-gps,mms".

Hope somebody can help, thanks.

Edit:

Just to confirm a few things that haven't worked:

1. I've factory reset the phone
2. Dozens of APN settings
3. Cleared cache
4. The phone has the latest updates

Also, my phone, along with the two others I have mentioned, all work perfectly fine with Rogers, and this issue doesn't occur. Which is why I feel it has something to do with the APN settings for PM.

40 REPLIES 40

Wolfcore

@Alex888 

I always update my phone, and have the latest version installed.

Edit: If I try and update PRL, or Profile, I receive that error I mentioned earlier. In case that helps.

Have you updated your phone since resetting it?

Wolfcore

@Alex888 

Honestly, I have no idea if I have wifi calling. I've tried searching all around, and can't even find it in any settings on my phone.

Normally, I would have reset my phone by now, but in order to rule that out, I actually made sure to reset the phone when I got it. So I put in my sim card, set up my apn settings, and noticed the mms messaging wasn't working, so I factory reset the phone, to rule out that possibility.

@Wolfcore  Do you have wifi calling enabled? If you do try disabling it. Then try starting your phone in Safe Mode to see if one of your apps is causing the problem.

If it's still not working even in Safe Mode try resetting your phone, but back up your data first.

Wolfcore

@Alex888 

I've always used the standard messaging app, and I'm still using it now.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@Wolfcore  Are you using the standard messaging app or did you install one or change the default?

Wolfcore

Thanks z10user4.

But yeah, I've been to that exact site, and tried numberous settings, including ones not even meant for my phone, but no luck.

Wolfcore

Thanks Alex888 for the quick, and detailed response.

I definitely wipe my cache partition very often, and have also tried those exact apn settings, but as per your recommendation, I did exactly what you said, but sadly, no luck.

I have also had a PRL issue since the beginning:

Error

The profile update could not be completed. Please try again later.

If the problem persists, you may need to contact Customer Service.

Error: Internal Error (407)

It's possible that this error is also a reason for this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wolfcore 

If you've spent all this time on it then I'm sure you've been to the following:

Find your phone on this list:
Officially Recognized APN Reference

If your phone isn't there then the above mentioned settings might work:

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

That is common with many phones, MMS technically uses data, it's just not taken off your plan.

Try deleting your network cache and restarting your phone. If the network options are still greyed out delete your phone cache:

1. Turn off your phone.

2. Press the Power, Home and Volume Up buttons together and hold them.

3. Release the Power button when the phone vibrates but continue holding the other two buttons.

4. Release the Volume Up and Home keys when Android System Recovery screen appears.

5. Choose the “Wipe cache partition” using the Volume Down key and select it using Power button.

6. “Reboot system now” will be highlighted when wipe cache partition is completed.

7. Now restart your phone by pressing the Power key.

Your APN settings should look like this:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F
Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

Need Help? Let's chat.