cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS Won't Send While WIFI Is Turned On

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I've noticed this issue occuring with a lot of phones from the US, Whether they be from Verizon, T-Mobile, or Sprint. Personally, my phone is a Galaxy S7, from Sprint. The phone has been working fine for a couple years now, but i've always had this issue, that I just chose to ignore after spending countless hours searching for an answer. I figured I'd see if anybody here could help.

My phone will not send pictures through text, if my wifi is turned on. In order for it to work, I need to manually turn off wifi, and then it works perfectly. I've tried dozens of slightly different apn settings, and none have helped. This issue is currently happening on two other phones of friends, who are also with PM, and have the same phone as me.

My phone has the "network operators" option greyed out, and maybe that's a possible reason for the issue.

Before this S7, I had a similar issue with an S5, and all I had to change was one specific line, and that was "APN type", but I've not been able to figure it out on this phone. My current APN type is "default,supl,a-gps,mms".

Hope somebody can help, thanks.

Edit:

Just to confirm a few things that haven't worked:

1. I've factory reset the phone
2. Dozens of APN settings
3. Cleared cache
4. The phone has the latest updates

Also, my phone, along with the two others I have mentioned, all work perfectly fine with Rogers, and this issue doesn't occur. Which is why I feel it has something to do with the APN settings for PM.

40 REPLIES 40

Wolfcore

@Buzzee24 

Yeah, I've always had it enabled, but thanks for the suggestion.

Buzzee24
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Have you tried enabling developer options?  Once enabled the keep data on option is there, or so the suggestion from another network forum states. Worth a try! 

Buzzee24
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You aren't alone and I've had the same problem with Canadian phones on different networks too. I was surprised as I spent years working on wireless accounts in a call centre and I had never seen this before. I wish I had a solution Smiley Very Happy but just know it's not just a your device situation. I'll try to dig a little deeper and see what I can find as well.

@Wolfcore wrote:

@krazykiwi 

Yeah, mine definitely isn't like that.

My model is SM-G930P. It seems that Sprint didn't include Wifi Calling in their firmware, from what i've read at least.

Yeah, I didn't think so but thought I would post it anyways. See a lot of complaints like yours that lead to wi-fi calling. PM does not support it so I don't see it being an issue but who knows. Also I am guessing seems it is not supported, that is why you are not able to find it.

Wolfcore

@krazykiwi 

Yeah, mine definitely isn't like that.

My model is SM-G930P. It seems that Sprint didn't include Wifi Calling in their firmware, from what i've read at least.

@Wolfcore wrote:

@powerg21 

Another user mentioned this. I've searched everywhere, and can't seem to find any mention of it. So maybe this model doesn't have it.

I found this for S7 to enable/disable wi-fi calling.

1. From the Home screen, select “Apps“, then choose “Settings“.
  2. Select “Advanced calling“.
  3. Select “Wi-Fi calling“.
  4. Slide the setting to “On” or “Off” as desired.

Wolfcore

@powerg21 

Yeah, it's on already.

powerg21
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In develper mode, select keep mobile data on.  

Wolfcore

@powerg21 

Another user mentioned this. I've searched everywhere, and can't seem to find any mention of it. So maybe this model doesn't have it.

powerg21

Does your phone have wifi calling?  If so, try having it ON and OFF/ 

Wolfcore

@powerg21 

I've always had data saver off, but I just tested it, and nope, didn't fix it.

powerg21

Have you tried setting the data saver option to allow unrestricted access to messenger?

Wolfcore

@powerg21 

Yeah, it's not working. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

powerg21

APN Type: Internet {space} + {space} MMS

MVNOV is st at 4D

Wolfcore

@powerg21 

Thanks powerg21, but sadly, it didn't work.

Your APN Type is exactly "Internet + MMS", nothing else? Also,there are spaces in between? I've tried with and without spaces, but no luck.

powerg21

On My S7 the settnig for this is different than it was suggested:

APN Type: Internet + MMS

Wolfcore

@Alex888 

Have tried it as well. It's actually the last one I tried too, and it's currently on that. Even tried literally leaving it blank. I've tried dozens. I remember back when I had my Galaxy S5, the fix had something to do with "internet+mms" being included in the APN type, but it's been so long that i'm not sure what the rest was.

@Wolfcore  Try setting your APN type to "default,mms,supl" instead of "default,supl,a-gps,mms"

Wolfcore

@computergeek541 

Oh, definitely not. I've read on countless forums, about people having this exact issue, but none of their methods worked for me. I thought about using a factory S7 image, or custom rom, but I feel like there shouldn't be a need to go to those lengths, and because i've had a similar issue in the past with an S5, I feel like it's just some sort of APN adjustment that has to be made (which is what fixed the S5). But who knows.

@Wolfcore wrote:

@computergeek541 

So you don't think there's a single PM user that has a Galaxy S7 from Sprint, who has their MMS working properly? I mean, it's possible, so I won't rule it out. I guess I'll have to wait around and see if anybody has the same phone as me.

Hopefully, someone who has this same device will come to this thread and comment.  However, I will say that this isn't the first time that I've read about such a bug with MMS when Wi-Fi is on. 

@Alex888 wrote:

@computergeek541They are also having a problem with PRL update failing, not just sending mms. And they have already tried a factoy reset.

Fair enough.  I'm just not sure that the problems are related.  I do wonder if getting a Samsung factory image and restoring using ODIN would be of any help.

Wolfcore

@computergeek541 

So you don't think there's a single PM user that has a Galaxy S7 from Sprint, who has their MMS working properly? I mean, it's possible, so I won't rule it out. I guess I'll have to wait around and see if anybody has the same phone as me.

@computergeek541They are also having a problem with PRL update failing, not just sending mms. And they have already tried a factoy reset.

@Wolfcore wrote:

@computergeek541 

I ruled out the factory reset possibility, by performing one when I first noticed the issue, and it didn't solve it. I also have the latest update installed (Febuary 1st).

I was saying earlier that I didn't think it would do anything. I do think a Samsung update or custom software might be the only way to fix this. 

Wolfcore

@computergeek541 

I ruled out the factory reset possibility, by performing one when I first noticed the issue, and it didn't solve it. I also have the latest update installed (Febuary 1st).

@Wolfcore If it's still under warranty I would contact Samsung, there's obviously some hardware/software problems they need to fix.

@Alex888 wrote:

Have you tried updating PRL while your phone is in Safe Mode? And if it has dual SIM slots have you tried using the other one?

What does roaming and preferred cellular network priorities have to do with sending MMS? 

I know it's a cliche, but a software bug may resolve after a factory reset. Please note that this dellete any user content, so the OP would need to back up any thing he/she wishes to keep.  I suspect though, this nothing short of a software update or replacing the system software would fix this.

Wolfcore

@Alex888 

I have tried updating PRL and Profile in Safe Mode, but I get the same error.

Galaxy S7 only has one sim slot.

Have you tried updating PRL while your phone is in Safe Mode? And if it has dual SIM slots have you tried using the other one?

Can't really really do much about a software bug.  You can check of there are updates or install custom rom.  That's probably about all.  The software I think is not allowing the data to enable when wifi is on.

Need Help? Let's chat.