cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost / Stolen but not!

skiddcnd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I bought my phone from a recognized distributer in June 2019.  By August 31, "No Service".  A few back and forths with Apple, Device Doctor and Public Mobile, by mid-October, Public Mobile announces it is lost/stolen.  But no one can tell me who listed it.  The place I bought it assures me it was not locked and I believe them as it worked for 3 months.

A friend saw on this chat to try flagging and unflagging as a way to trick the phoneinto resuming service.  DIdn't work.

Now all I have is an expensive iPod - still no service and now flagged lost/stolen.  

Do I really have to kiss that $500 good bye?

28 REPLIES 28

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

If they don't help, you might need small claims court.

@cellphoneuser1 for a $500 phone?  Is that really worth anyone's time and effort (not to mention legal expenses)?  It's a pricey learning experience--only buy used phones from people you personally know and trust not to blacklist you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@skiddcnd wrote:

Rookie mistake.  Thanks.  Done 

If they do nothing to help you out go write bad reviews. They should back their devices. Sigh, I'd recommend buying used devices from people with proof of purchase on Kijiji.

skiddcnd

Rookie mistake.  Thanks.  Done 

@skiddcnd wrote:

Tred the refund route adn was told no.  Not their mistake, not their problem.  I may ask to "replace internal components" and see what they say

They sold you a phone that could be stolen and they say not their problem?  If they don't help, you might need small claims court.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@skiddcnd wrote:

Tred the refund route adn was told no.  Not their mistake, not their problem.  I may ask to "replace internal components" and see what they say

It's an unfortunate circumstance for you. I wouldn't be quite so quick to write-off refurbishers though. They have a business reputation to maintain. Sure...buying from a stranger could obviously be risky. You meet them, you check devicecheck, you buy it. 3 months later you have a paper weight. What can you do.

I bought a used Samsung S7 from a refurbisher. Got it all registered up with Samsung too. Nary a problem.

skiddcnd

New to the Apple world and they are so expensive ... that's why.  But never again!

Don't post your IMEI! Great way to get into the situation your in.

Best to remove your personal info like your email address and phone or account numbers. It won't help on this forum and it makes it discoverable and available to the general public.
To remove your personal information, find your original post. Click on the three dots in the top right corner and choose "Edit Reply." From there just delete the information or use X's or # signs to show where it would have been.

@skiddcnd wrote:

@skiddcnd  The cost to change the motherboard on that phone will cost more than the phone itself.

Good Luck!

skiddcnd

skiddcnd

Ahh.  Gotcha.  Thanks.  

@skiddcnd  Your phone got blacklisted nothing much you can do at this point. Forum is full of similar posts of people buying a used phone checking the IMEI and then 3 months later it gets blacklisted. I honestly do not know why people keep taking chances by buying used phones from Kijij or refurbishers. If you are going to buy a used phone buy it from a provider or someone you know.

Ed404

@skiddcnd wrote:

Then shouldn't my service provide (Public Mobile) know who reported it?

I'm was talking about the process to getting a phone blacklisted. Public Mobile will not know, only the original provider will know and they will not tell you.

I recommend you ask Device Doctor to give you a refund or replace the internal components so it will have a different non-blacklisted IMEI.

skiddcnd

Then shouldn't my service provide (Public Mobile) know who reported it?

Ed404

@skiddcnd wrote:

Do people ever report the wrong IMEI ?

No because you report it to your service provider and they will make you double and triple check to prevent errors. However there could be the rare few cases, but I doubt it very much.

@skiddcnd wrote:

Someone has to type it in. A carrier can make a mistake.  Also consider that the phone really could be lost or stolen but the store didn't know.

skiddcnd

Ed404

@skiddcnd wrote:

They tell me they already checked with their "people" and it is not them

How is the guy sure they aren't lying. That person who sold it to Device Doctor may not even be the original owner.

skiddcnd

If someone reports an IMNE and mis-types  the number, is there recourse for the person who had that phone?

skiddcnd

They tell me they already checked with their "people" and it is not them

@skiddcnd wrote:

Device Doctor in Charlottetown PE

A store can be legit, but you don't know where they got it before selling it to you. They probably bought it used from someone else.

skiddcnd

I bought it in June 2019.  No Service August 31 2019

Ed404

@skiddcnd wrote:

I am using my older iPhone 5.  Device Doctor has my 7 still trying to figure out what is oging on

How long ago did you buy the phone from them?

skiddcnd

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Is the one I cannot use

skiddcnd

I am using my older iPhone 5.  Device Doctor has my 7 still trying to figure out what is oging on

Ed404

@skiddcnd wrote:

They are a refurbishing place so there a very high odds it got blacklisted. Especially if it is an Apple device. I'd recommend calling Device Doctor and explaining to them what happened.

skiddcnd

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@skiddcnd  The phone is nof reported as lost/stolen in your account. It's likely blacklisted by a carrier. Check devicechceck.ca to see if blacklisted.

Ed404

Is it blacklisted or just flagged as stolen/lost on Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.