cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost SIM status on reboot, now defaults to Telus

joelmaxuel
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I am a Koodo (previously PC Mobile) convert, and even though I had this issue several weeks before (apprently solved by re-seating the SIM between a power cycle), the problem has returned.

I rebooted my phone (Moto G5) this morning, at which point the provider line changed from "Public Mobile" to "TELUS".  In this state I can send and receive calls, receive texts, but cannot send them.

Network is set to be automatically selected - manual selection only provides Bell, Rogers, Eastlink and Telus (but this may make sense since MVNO's probably won't show here).

SIM status details are ...

Network: TELUS; Phone number on SIM: Unknown; Mobile network state: Disconnected; Service status: In service; Signal strength: -91 dBm 11 asu; Mobile voice network type: UMTS; Mobile data network type: HSPA; Roaming: Not roaming; EID: Unknown.

IMEI's are present.

I have tried several power cycles and reseated the SIM, and got back just now.

What may have helped was changing my preferred network type to "GSM/WCDMA auto" from "CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA" and rebooting (I use a 3G plan for more reasons than cost, so holding back any LTE tech option absolutely may become a random cause).

Could there be other possibilities?

5 REPLIES 5

joelmaxuel

@geopublic wrote:

@joelmaxuel Even though you have a 3G plan Public Mobile still uses LTE for data and texts. 3G can also be used. For your network type is there an entry that includes LTE?  If yes, then pick that one. As for mobile networks of you manually search then Public Mobile should show up as one of the choices do just go ahead and register that one.

It still seems a bit dubious that non-LTE network cannot resolve the phone number even though it can still make and take calls.

Cuurently voice is operating on UMTS, data HSPA. 

I do presume that "GSM/WCDMA auto" bumps up the protocol as needed, even though that is not my ideal outcome (just this year, 3G saw a few exploits, 4G LTE saw an entire order of magnitude greater).

Considering 3G has not been sunsetted (yet), and I have seen PubMo use 3G (second paragraph), that would remain my preference.  However the remaining question is if there is a pre-LTE network type combination that will give better justice to the modem on my Moto G5.

joelmaxuel

@will13am wrote:

I had a friend on Public Mobile using a LG G4 that always showed Telus.  It doesn't matter, service works.  Has your service been affected?

As said in the OP, I am unable to send texts (SMS/MMS) in this situation.  Receiving texts, making/getting calls appear fine.

Mind you, it is back to normal for now.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@joelmaxuel wrote:

Hi,

I am a Koodo (previously PC Mobile) convert, and even though I had this issue several weeks before (apprently solved by re-seating the SIM between a power cycle), the problem has returned.

I rebooted my phone (Moto G5) this morning, at which point the provider line changed from "Public Mobile" to "TELUS".  In this state I can send and receive calls, receive texts, but cannot send them.

Network is set to be automatically selected - manual selection only provides Bell, Rogers, Eastlink and Telus (but this may make sense since MVNO's probably won't show here).

SIM status details are ...

Network: TELUS; Phone number on SIM: Unknown; Mobile network state: Disconnected; Service status: In service; Signal strength: -91 dBm 11 asu; Mobile voice network type: UMTS; Mobile data network type: HSPA; Roaming: Not roaming; EID: Unknown.

IMEI's are present.

I have tried several power cycles and reseated the SIM, and got back just now.

What may have helped was changing my preferred network type to "GSM/WCDMA auto" from "CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA" and rebooting (I use a 3G plan for more reasons than cost, so holding back any LTE tech option absolutely may become a random cause).

Could there be other possibilities?

@joelmaxuel Even though you have a 3G plan Public Mobile still uses LTE for data and texts. 3G can also be used. For your network type is there an entry that includes LTE?  If yes, then pick that one. As for mobile networks of you manually search then Public Mobile should show up as one of the choices do just go ahead and register that one.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I had a friend on Public Mobile using a LG G4 that always showed Telus.  It doesn't matter, service works.  Has your service been affected?

Need Help? Let's chat.