cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing service between 3G and LTE

CompuServices
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I activated my SIM, but I find that I live in an area that shifts between 3G and LTE.  However this is remedied by selecting the 3G voice & data option.  So I'm always on the 3G network, and there are no issue swtiching between zones.

6 REPLIES 6

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@CompuServices wrote:

@Cyber

Once again the alacrity of your response astounds me.  But I find myself, yet again, wondering if you haven't for a second time jumped to conclusions, post hoc ergo propter hoc....sigh.

All things being equal, the phone will have no bearing on the outcome of LTE vs 3G.  My conclusion has been verified, by testing multiple unlocked LTE capable phones in 15 physical locations, all within a 600m radius.  Telus SIM no issues full 4-5 bars LTE throughout 15 tested locations, (except one I was in a reinforced concrete stairwell 3-4 bars 3G), from indoors to outdoors, concrete basement to thick brush.  PM SIM, sporadic connection; from 2 bars LTE service to no service back to 2-3 bars of 3G service.  Constantly switching between LTE and 3G.  Migration between the two is...well painful, and annoying especially when on a call that keeps dropping.  One would assume Telus is letting PM piggyback off all their cell towers, not just a few, so while distance may be a factor, all things being equal the only difference in this equation woulld be the PM SIM. 

So in conclusion all things aren't equal, as Telus & PM are obviously trying to merge a disparate system onto Telus' LTE network.  Which then brings us back full circle to the first post.  PM integration team and Telus need to hash out the details which is part of this BETA I signed up for and why I brought it up in the first place.

It should be the same, The only difference that I know of is Telus Prepaid, Koodo Prepaid & PM do not have access to Extended Roaming on Rogers. Perhaps you PM Sim card is the issue

@CompuServices,

I would be curious to see results if you was able to try with the new TRI-Punch SIM card that Public Mobile now offer.

You can also try to send an email to Public Mobile and have your issue escalated to a network engineer.

CompuServices

@Cyber

Once again the alacrity of your response astounds me.  But I find myself, yet again, wondering if you haven't for a second time jumped to conclusions, post hoc ergo propter hoc....sigh.

All things being equal, the phone will have no bearing on the outcome of LTE vs 3G.  My conclusion has been verified, by testing multiple unlocked LTE capable phones in 15 physical locations, all within a 600m radius.  Telus SIM no issues full 4-5 bars LTE throughout 15 tested locations, (except one I was in a reinforced concrete stairwell 3-4 bars 3G), from indoors to outdoors, concrete basement to thick brush.  PM SIM, sporadic connection; from 2 bars LTE service to no service back to 2-3 bars of 3G service.  Constantly switching between LTE and 3G.  Migration between the two is...well painful, and annoying especially when on a call that keeps dropping.  One would assume Telus is letting PM piggyback off all their cell towers, not just a few, so while distance may be a factor, all things being equal the only difference in this equation woulld be the PM SIM. 

So in conclusion all things aren't equal, as Telus & PM are obviously trying to merge a disparate system onto Telus' LTE network.  Which then brings us back full circle to the first post.  PM integration team and Telus need to hash out the details which is part of this BETA I signed up for and why I brought it up in the first place.

@CompuServices,

Your phone could be the problem. I would try with another mobile to see if the service still switch between 3G and LTE.

The tower from Telus could be a bit too far from you to get a stable access to LTE.

CompuServices

If there were a more affordable solution in Canada other than Telus, Rogers or Bell we wouldn't be having this conversation...Wind Mobile perhaps.

Either way maybe you just can't read, or think you're actually clever; but I mentioned in the post I live between two overlapping zones (shifts between 3G and LTE).  So obviously Telus has a tower in my area. In fact the whole city has LTE, if your device handles it.  My Telus SIM has LTE all the time, it's PM integration into the system that fails. I was bringing this up as a point for the PM integration team to work on. I may have posted in the wrong forum, but FEEDBACK isn't an obvious discussion forum.

So in the future if it's not worth responding to remember what Thumper was told by his mother: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

Cyber
Mayor / Maire

@CompuServices,

Ok, so ?

Are you asking to Telus to build a tower just for you so you can have access to LTE ?

Need Help? Let's chat.