cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to swtich to Public but imei check says phone reported lost/stolen

gunner12
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This phone was bought second hand from the States 4 months and I've been using it on bell since then.

I've been looking to switch to public but when i did the imei check from the "Get Started" page it said my phone is reported as lost/stolen but also says " Your device should work on our Network."

I'm abit confused because i tried my brother's koodo sim and it didnt work but publics will? Is there a store where they have like a trial sim card to see if the phone will work with on public?

Also another option could be if I bought the $10 plan make sure it works then upgrade to $25 unlimited plan, but then would my $10 previously be forfeit or would I just pay the extra $15 to upgrade for the same billing period but changed plan?

8 REPLIES 8

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gunner12

I also got an iPhone used, from eBay though from a fairly reputable seller. I didn't think to check since I was away for a while, but I recently checked the IMEI on the Apple Website. 

The Public Mobile one already stated that my device would work on the network and it has been doing so for the past month and a half about.

However, when I ran the IMEI on the Apple website it gave a message:

"We're sorry, but this is a serial number for a product that has been replaced. Please check your information and re-enter your serial number. If your information is correct, you may need to Contact Apple"

So I called Apple, and they said that when they look up my device it shows that the device is out of warranty. They said it should be fine, just maybe it was refurbished or had work done by a third party. I wouldn't know if I could get support for it until I contact an Apple genius when I need some hardware repair. I am eligible for phone support they said though. Nonethless, it does not show that the device was reported stolen or anything. I don't know if this is normal for second hand devices as I've always had my phones through a contract or directly from the store. Albeit the last device I bought new was 5 years ago so things may have changed. When I looked up the serial it would show when it was purchased and that the warranty for support has expired. 

My current bought used device doesn't show anything when running the serial number except for that warning message. 

Anyways I am going to try going ahead and using this device and see how it goes. I don't know if I were to buy another device if it will show the same message on Apple's website when I run the IMEI either.

Your own experience may vary though. I am just sharing my own exposure to this type of thing if that helps.

mcs11
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gunner12

I'm sorry to hear that you bought a used phone that would up being blacklisted. As others have said, I think it's a matter of time before it will stop working on all phone networks in North America.

I don't think you have to buy a new phone -- I recently bought a used iPhone for my kid. I found one on Facebook Marketplace, and I checked out the seller a bit to see if she seemed like a real and legitimate person. Then I asked her to meet me at a Telus store to ensure it was not blocked and that the IMEI was clean. Now of course, it could always be blacklisted after the purchase, but I felt pretty comfortable given the research I had done on the seller as well as the fact that she was willing to take the time to meet me at a Telus store. My kid has had the phone for awhile now and so far so good (fingers crossed it stays that way!). That happens to be the second used iPhone I've bought over the past few years, and both have been fine.

Good luck! 

gunner12

its an iphone 6+, getting a new phone is not feasable as unlocked 6+ will be atleast $250+ but I get what your saying, next phone will definitely be new

gunner12

no message has appeared, i tried a freedom sim that worked but koodo that did not so im really sure whats blocked

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Is it worth it? If the Telus sim doesn't work I don't think the pm sim will work.

Was there a message that appeared?  From what I remember some phones would have some text show up on screen.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

Buy a new phone that is not stolen.

I know you didn't steal it, but someone else probably did and if not they "found" it.

It's just a matter of time before it doesn't work anywhere in north america.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gunner12 wrote:

This phone was bought second hand from the States 4 months and I've been using it on bell since then.

I've been looking to switch to public but when i did the imei check from the "Get Started" page it said my phone is reported as lost/stolen but also says " Your device should work on our Network."

I'm abit confused because i tried my brother's koodo sim and it didnt work but publics will? Is there a store where they have like a trial sim card to see if the phone will work with on public?

Also another option could be if I bought the $10 plan make sure it works then upgrade to $25 unlimited plan, but then would my $10 previously be forfeit or would I just pay the extra $15 to upgrade for the same billing period but changed plan?

I think you found your answer. Koodo is related to Telus as is Public Mobile.

You could try that test but no you'd have to waste your initial plan cost to immediately change to a new plan. If the service works then you could do a future dated plan change for your renewal time.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Check your IMEI here https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

If it says it is blacklisted I think it will be only a matter of time till it will not work with bell.

Need Help? Let's chat.