cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a great screen for sunlight

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Hey all, as many of you may recall, I have a vision impairment, and as a result my phone's screen readability in the sunlight is less than poor.  I need to find shade, cover the phone, and squint to make out anything if I'm outside.

My current phone is the LG Google Nexus 5.  I'd like to find something similar or better, in a budget around $400-500 (lowr will work too :smile: ), Android, and preferably as close to stock Android as possible.  The Nexus 5 has 1080p display, 2 GB Ram, 32 GB storage (no removable sim).  

I value all input, and would appreciate any that you folks can give.

26 REPLIES 26

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I suspect my LG G4 would be up there somewhere as well.

@srlawren, the biggest issues for me were the display resolution and the cost.  I didn't have a fingerprint sensor, nor did I want to experiment with one.  The sub $500 price tag before taxes was good for me, and I really did want the stereo front facing speakers, but really the headphone jack fixes that.

My phone is a communications device - it needs to do what I need it to do, and nothing more.  The screen is 1080 x 2160, much more detail than the FHD on the Nexus that I wanted to match (or better), and the screen brightness is great.

I watched a few reviews of all the devices in my price range, and this really was the best for me and met the most needed requirements for me.

It's not stock Android, however, it wasn't far off, and I've just installed the apps I use and have hidden the built-in apps I didn't want to use.

Now I'm going to have to find a 2TB SD card and start filling up the media 🙂  I don't know how that's going to happen!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker glad you finally got something!  I don't remember reviews of the Q6 being particularly good (if I remember correctly, it even lacks a fingerprint sensor, which was even rare a year or so ago when it was actually release, let alone pretty much unheard of now).  However, I know your needs and requirements are different than the average consumer, so I'm hoping this model works well for you for some time to come.  Enjoy your new device!!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

So, I've finally bit the bullet so to speak and upgraded to a new device.

I've purchased the LG Q6 from Telus as an outright purchase.  It's the baby sibling of the G6.

First impressions are great.  The screen is much better than what I had on my Nexus 5, both in size and appearance - making it easier for me to see in sunlight, and sometimes I can actually ready without my reading glasses on.

Not a huge fan of the rear firing speaker, however, I normally use headphones (yes it as a 3.5mm jack).

Same onboard storage as the Nexus 5 (32GB, expandable to 2TB).

Was a reasonable price for a non-flagship phone, and a somewhat recent mid-range device.

I looked also at the LG Stylo 3, and tried for the Essential PH-1.  The Essential wasn't available locally for me.  However, I'm very pleased with my choice.

Thanks for those charts.  I'll have to see if I can find anyone with devices listed, so I can check it out.

I understand (I think someone here said it) the Pixel and PixelXL were not that great...  That would be stock Android (dream), but too pricy for me 😞

This one is a bit more recent

bright2.jpg

@stonechucker a bit dated but here are some tested Android phones

bright1.jpg

srlawren

@stonechucker @kav2001c as you already know, you can count me in on that group, too!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@kav2001c, I think it's almost as much as I hate Apple.

LOL

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@stonechucker the Nexus line is pretty poor when it comes to sunlight

Pixel is better but still not great

Apple ironically is best in full sun (and you know how I hate Apple)

Samsung & Blackberry also perform better than Pixel / Nexus in full sun

@Shutdown I'm manually adjusting it, as the auto setting doesn't get it right for me.  Someone mentioned an app earlier that I'm going to look at this evening.  Thanks for your suggestiong however 🙂

srlawren

@stonechucker always happy to help.  I like unique challenges.  🙂  Please keep us posted!

You folks are all awesome for helping me look for my specific requirements.  I'm not an easy consumer in this market, and I truly do appreciate all of this assistance.

I'm going to review these things this evening after work - so much to look forward too!

srlawren

@stonechucker looks like the Samsung S8 and S8+ set the record for sunlight contrast!

From the review: 

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8-review-1603p3.php

"Sunlight legibility is where the S8 sets the benchmark - it's the new record holder in our outdoor visibility test, dethroning the Nokia 808 PureView (which we dropped from the comparison chart some time ago, as it's no longer relevant, strictly speaking). Admittedly, the S8+ nearly matches that, but 'nearly' is exactly the operative word."

If you've got the budget for it, those seem to be the phones to beat!  They're also quite large which may be helpful, and you can dial the resolution down a bit if the high desntity makes it harder to read.  I think you can go down as low as 1080p.

srlawren

@xCameron94x I don't think the Moto G5/G5 Pro is a good suggestion here.  I distinctly remember hearing in a couple of review videos (I beleive I watched both MobileTechReview and maybe Mr. Mobile's reviews of the device) mentioning that the screen is not very bright. This would suggest poor sunlight visibility.

@stonechucker make sure you check the pro reviews on gsmarena.com.  They haven't reviewed every phone, but the ones they have done, in the Display section, they list a sunlight contrast ratio, and compare it to other available phones.  I was trying to track down a way to view the complete list but I can't seem to find it.  But if you're intested in any

paritcular models, be sure to check for reviews there and check the display info.

EDIT: for example, if you go to the diplay page for the OnePlus 3T review, and click the "Expand" button on the sunlight contrast ratio table, you'll get a number of handsets listed there.  http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_3t-review-1531p3.php

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Are you using auto brightness? If not I recommend using it then.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have nexus 5 and I have no complain. I barely use it outside in the sunlight but when I do, high brightness is good enough for me.

I am also rooted and running pure nexus naugat ROM with custom kernel. Battery life is at its best. It's no where near dieing. My usage is very light though like browsing, texting, video chat once in a while. I barely watch any videos or play any games on it.

Thanks for the suggestion @Luddite, I'll think about something like this - the hassle is carrying multiple devices, but it's something to consider.

@xCameron94x, I'm looking for something in the 5"-5.5", as I've found when I need it, I can turn on zooming to see the smaller text, or just wait until I get home and use my notebook.

I guess what I'm really looking to do is keep the basic form factor and function of my current device (the Nexus 5), and keep up with security fixes, as Google has stopped supporting my device with security updates.  I'm already rooted, and running 6.0.1, but the phone is getting ready to die.  Battery isn't holding the charge like it used too.

I've used iPhone 5s, and I have an iPadAir, but I hate iOS, and as much as Apple thinks they're making the devices accessible, they're not when they change how I unlock the device every couple updates, and various other anonying things.

Maybe one of those e-ink devices will replace my iPadAir .....

@stonechucker there are budget phones that do have bigger screens, id say an average of 5.5-5.7 inches. Its just a matter of prefrence. I tend to stay away from the bigger phones becuase I've been used to 4.7"-5" screens for so long, and its just more comfortable for me to use.

Id search through Newegg, you'll see some of the bigger phones there

For use in sunlight you really need an e-ink device. Normally these are "just" readers but there a few android devices. You would then tether it to your phone. An example: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/13-3-and-6-8-android-e-reader#/

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

I'll check that out  will13am.

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am,

For me, it's a bit of both, glare is an issue, but I think a screen protector may cause me more issues (I'm not sure, haven't tried one).  Brightness is certainly an issue... but saying that, it's also way to bright in the dark, and I find adjusting it lighter makes the screen difficult for me to read.

My eyes are really not great with screen devices right now... gotta love eye deseases...

Thanks to both you, and @xCameron94x for your suggestions.  I'll look at both, and any others that may get recommended.

I have visual challenges also, small print is real problem.  I just need a big screen, 6-7 inch with no bezel would be just ideal.  Have you tried the adaptive brightness feature?  There are apps in the play store that can be used to calibrate the ambient light sensor used to run the auto brightness feature.  Google search brings up lux app.  It cost a few bucks, but I am sure there are free ones that will do similar functions.

@will13am,

For me, it's a bit of both, glare is an issue, but I think a screen protector may cause me more issues (I'm not sure, haven't tried one).  Brightness is certainly an issue... but saying that, it's also way to bright in the dark, and I find adjusting it lighter makes the screen difficult for me to read.

My eyes are really not great with screen devices right now... gotta love eye deseases...

Thanks to both you, and @xCameron94x for your suggestions.  I'll look at both, and any others that may get recommended.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Is the issue glare, brightness, a bit of both?  If glare is the issue, then look for a matte finish screen protector.  Screen performance is a bit subjective.  I find that with each phone I buy, the screen performance is better than any previous phone.  The nexus 5 is ancient and so pretty much anything new theses days will outperform.  Is it possible to check out phones that friends and family are using and do a quick test drive before making a purchase? 

As for brands, I am partial to non carrier brands.  Carriers are not in the business to sell hardware.  Hardware is used by the carriers as the spoonful of sugar that makes the bitter service cost medicine go down.  It is not worthwhile going through hoops to buy a cell plan, get hardware with it, cancel, pay off tab, purchase unlock code...

My most recent purchase is a LeEco Le Max 2.  It has a 5.7 inch, 2k display.  The screen quality is amazing.

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

If you want close to stock android, I would recommend the Moto G5. Back when google owned Moto, it had stock android, with a few moto tweaks added. But because it is a budget phone, it is lacking some things.

For whatever reason, the G5's in Canada do not have NFC, where some others in different parts of the world do. It does not have USB type C (Dont know if thats a deal breaker for you). The storage is small, but it does offer expandable storage

http://www.gsmarena.com/moto_g5_arrives_in_canada_on_may_3-news-24614.php

Need Help? Let's chat.