cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a Phone - Anyone seen any deals?

DallasL
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife's grandma is moving in to our building and looking to get her first cell-phone.

It's hard to know exactly what she needs or is looking for:

-Idealy less than $350

-Android or Apple is fine

-She will probebly keep it simple (has an ipad for more complicated use) but need to be beefy enough it doesnt become frustrating due to not enough ram or space or somthing.

-I can see her using the camera, but it doesnt need to be anything amazing

-Can't decide if big for eyes or small for her poket is a factor

Has anyone seen any good deels or have a recomendation?

*Sorry if there is already a thread liek this somwhere*

23 REPLIES 23

D5eez

If leaning towards buying a used iPhone, make sure to check its IMEI against the blacklist database here: www.imei.info .  This website can also provide info if the iPhone is still iCloud-locked to a previous owner.

Callan89

Hey!

Cragislist (can negociate a good price)

Ebay (some are not too expensive and good models!)

Apple Refurbish Store 

Facebook Marketplace 

Best Buy, Future Shop, Walmart, Costco (you used to be able to buy just the phone from these stores but I'm not too sure anymore. Check it out on Boxing Day if you can wait.) 

Hope this helps!

hss
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PM doesn't have phone plans.
If you like a decent inexpensive phone, Moto G7 Power is on sale for $250 and it has a 5000 mah battery that can last for days and also a usb-C charger. Usb charger is small but a really imortant thing. My mom used to fiddle with the Micro usb cable and ultimately killed the jack. 
Iphone is good too but it might get lil expensive even to get an older model and the battery won't even last long.
https://intl.motorola.com/ca/moto-g7-power/

Lowufo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@geopublic wrote:

@Ed404 wrote:

@philthunder mentioned the Xiamo Redmi Note 8T and I think this would be your best choice right now considering it's processor and ram. Depending on what iPad she is accustomed to the phone may not feel as fast.

If you aren't fond of Chinese phones then I'll recommend buying used or wait until sales in late December.

Best of luck

Never buy a used phone IMO. Why buy other people's problem phones.

To each his own but my local repair shop is very good and offers a warranty on the phones they sell plus the last couple I asked them to put a new battery in the phone which they did no questions asked. Would I buy one of Kijiji probably not but I feel very comfortable buying a wiped refurbished phone for a local retailer. 

@Ed404 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

I bought a used phone and it's fine, you just have to be careful. Many people are just selling their old phone because they upgraded to the latest flagship. I got an LG G7 ThinQ for $150 on Kijiji it was the best deal for a Snapdragon 845.

I got a G7 one through a carrier for $190.  Looking forward to getting android 10 soon. 

@geopublic wrote:

@Ed404 wrote:

@philthunder mentioned the Xiamo Redmi Note 8T and I think this would be your best choice right now considering it's processor and ram. Depending on what iPad she is accustomed to the phone may not feel as fast.

If you aren't fond of Chinese phones then I'll recommend buying used or wait until sales in late December.

Best of luck

+1, super expensive phones excepted possibly.  Of course buying an expensive resale phone is not without risk of it being blacklisted later. 

@geopublic wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@DallasL  If you have a costco memebership they have the Moto G7 Play for ~150.00 and also consider purchasing a cordless phone with bluetooth support. That way when they are in the house the can use the cordless for receiving/making calls.

Are these Costco phones purchased without carrier contract?  Anyway, this phone is little bit more if purchased via B&H.  No Costco membership required.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1455105-REG/moto_pae80008us_g7_play_32gb_smartphone.html

@will13am  Yes, they are unlocked carrier free just pickup a card from the aisle pay at checkout.

Only deal breaker is Costco membership which not everyone has and the line up. 

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@geopublic wrote:

I bought a used phone and it's fine, you just have to be careful. Many people are just selling their old phone because they upgraded to the latest flagship. I got an LG G7 ThinQ for $150 on Kijiji it was the best deal for a Snapdragon 845.

@Ed404 wrote:

Best of luck

@will13am wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@DallasL  If you have a costco memebership they have the Moto G7 Play for ~150.00 and also consider purchasing a cordless phone with bluetooth support. That way when they are in the house the can use the cordless for receiving/making calls.

Are these Costco phones purchased without carrier contract?  Anyway, this phone is little bit more if purchased via B&H.  No Costco membership required.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1455105-REG/moto_pae80008us_g7_play_32gb_smartphone.html

@will13am  Yes, they are unlocked carrier free just pickup a card from the aisle pay at checkout.

Lowufo

Check your local cell repair shop I picked up a pristine iphone 6 for $150 he also has 7's starting around $200-250

@popping wrote:

@DallasL wrote:

My wife's grandma is moving in to our building and looking to get her first cell-phone.

-Idealy less than $350

-She will probebly keep it simple (has an ipad for more complicated use) but need to be beefy enough it doesnt become frustrating due to not enough ram or space or somthing.

If she gets confused with all the choice of a smartphone, it is better to get a flip phone.  Open to answer calls and close to end calls.  Nothing will be simpler than this.  Alkcatel Go Flip is a good choice with big number keys.

Let her to use your smartphone to determine whether she like it or not.

Flip phones have their advantages and disadvantages.  The modern cell plan will come with some data.  Trying to use it on a flip phone for browsing is total frustration.  Apps like Whatsapp are not available on flip phones.  We all have to deal with spam calls.  Spam call filtering on a smart phone is very simple.  Even for seniors, the case can be made to move up the technology food chain. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DallasL wrote:

-Idealy less than $350

If she gets confused with all the choice of a smartphone, it is better to get a flip phone.  Open to answer calls and close to end calls.  Nothing will be simpler than this.  Alkcatel Go Flip is a good choice with big number keys.

Let her to use your smartphone to determine whether she like it or not before looking for smartphone.

@geopublic wrote:

BEER

@DallasL wrote:

-Idealy less than $350

Strongly recomend that you look for an iPhone 6s or newer. Search KIJIJI and you will find lots of good ones that the owners simply have upgraded and no longer have use for their older phones. If you get lucky you may even find a phone with some Apple care warranty still in remaining. 

Ed404

@geopublic wrote:

@DallasL said it needs to be beefy enough it doesnt become frustrating due to not enough ram or space or somthing.

The Moto G7 Play has 2GB of ram and Snapdragon 632. The screen is also 720p which will look terrible compared to an iPad.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@DallasL, you might want to consider the Umidigi brand.  They sell budget phones with good features at low price.  This one is on sale right now on Amazon.  Camel says this is the lowest price ever.  It is fulfilled by Amazon and so you will get it shipped very quickly with hassle free return if needed.  There are no taxes for this purchase.  Disclosure, I have bought a Umidigi (not this model) from Amazon and have good experience with my purchase.

https://www.amazon.ca/UMIDIGI-F1-Unlocked-Android-Smartphone/dp/B07M728DCF/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?keywords...

kelvarnsen

Also in the world of Chinese phones is Umidigi. I have an F1 which has 128gb of storage, 2sim slots and a crazy long battery. They are $215.99 at Amazon right now.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@DallasL  If you have a costco memebership they have the Moto G7 Play for ~150.00 and also consider purchasing a cordless phone with bluetooth support. That way when they are in the house they can use the cordless for receiving/making calls similar to a landline phone.

Ed404

Best of luck

philthunder

have you been interested in chinese phones ? Such as Xiaomi 

I have purchased a Xiaomi Redmi K20 pro, for a very cheap price.  very good quality. 

No Clones, glass and case offered for cheap price 

Even very good devices for a price range of 100$ - 800$ CAN 

https://www.geekbuying.com/

For exemple  :

CA$ 246.32

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8T 6.3 Inch

CA$ 150.52

Xiaomi Redmi 8A 6.22 Inch

CA$ 520.02

Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro 6.39 Inch

https://www.geekbuying.com/

kevinqqh

Many people got new phone during this time when they renew the plan . They will selling it online, you can think about it .

Need Help? Let's chat.