cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long-lasting calls (>30 minutes) dropped for months

Random1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been a Public Mobile user for over a year and while service has generally been great, any time I stay on a phone call for more than about 30-60 minutes, I'll get a dropped call. This has been happening for months, ever since I started with Public Mobile over a year ago, and I've had this experience calling a number of different people, so I'm quite confident the problem is on my end, not theirs. I've also had this same problem calling in different cities, not just always from one physical location. Short 5-10 minute calls almost never seem to have this problem, only relatively long ones.

Any ideas about what could be causing this or how to solve it?

28 REPLIES 28

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Now I'm experiencing more intermittent call drops at around the 10 min (!!!) mark. I keep reporting the specific call logs to engineering, but there's still no ETA on a fix. Is anyone else still experiencing this or starting to w/ shorter calls?

Alan_K

@mh1983 wrote:

@Bleu7 wrote:

Yes I did but they said there was no need to open a new incident because there is no network change planned in the entire montreal downtown area. 

@RossN wrote:

@Bleu7 Hi so are you saying you contacted a moderator it may be up to 48 hours if not you can contact them here  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Wow, that's sad. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Sorry to hear. I hope others will be encouraged to speak up so we can see some results.

@Alan_K is PM going to look into this as a potentially bigger issue than just a few isolated incidents? (Also, you haven't responded to the DM I sent with my and my wife's account info.)

Hi @mh1983 , I've shared those details with the team to investigate and nothing has been shared back yet, I will continually share more examples with them to help their investigation in the mean time.

mh1983

@Bleu7 wrote:

Yes I did but they said there was no need to open a new incident because there is no network change planned in the entire montreal downtown area. 

@RossN wrote:

@Bleu7 Hi so are you saying you contacted a moderator it may be up to 48 hours if not you can contact them here  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Wow, that's sad. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Sorry to hear. I hope others will be encouraged to speak up so we can see some results.

@Alan_K is PM going to look into this as a potentially bigger issue than just a few isolated incidents? (Also, you haven't responded to the DM I sent with my and my wife's account info.)

Bleu7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@RossN wrote:

RossN
Mayor / Maire

Bleu7

Dropped many calls at roughly 40-60 minutes in the last weeks in MontreaI with a strong signal. I had no acknowledgment from PM and no case was open.

mh1983

@jor123 wrote:

I've noticed this a few times as well but never really thought much of it... looks like it may be more of a widespread issue? I'll take note next time of exactly how long the calls were when they dropped. 

Thanks Jor...yes, please do and tell the mods about it so they open a case. The more specifics you can provide, the better. We need more people to speak up when this sort of thing is going on.

It's become clear to me that the PM network is not as reliable as service provided through Koodo or Telus (on those other services, I can count the number of dropped calls on one hand). I hope PM makes good on this issue.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I've noticed this a few times as well but never really thought much of it... looks like it may be more of a widespread issue? I'll take note next time of exactly how long the calls were when they dropped. 

mh1983

@Alan_K wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

My wife had a call drop yesterday at around the 50 min mark. I recently referred her to PM. 

These call drops don't seem like isolated or one-off incidents, as the subject of this thread suggests. What's missing is some sort of response/acknowledgment from PM. They need to step it up. @CS_Agent ?

EDIT: a week later and still the same issue. A call dropped yesterday around 40 min mark. Is PM @CS_Agent doing anything about this? @Alan_K ? Interactions w/ support engineering have been less than stellar on the matter too.

Can you send me the account number of the lines that were affected? I will share with the team to look into it. @mh1983 

PM'd the account numbers to you, thanks, @Alan_K 

Alan_K

@mh1983 wrote:

My wife had a call drop yesterday at around the 50 min mark. I recently referred her to PM. 

These call drops don't seem like isolated or one-off incidents, as the subject of this thread suggests. What's missing is some sort of response/acknowledgment from PM. They need to step it up. @CS_Agent ?

EDIT: a week later and still the same issue. A call dropped yesterday around 40 min mark. Is PM @CS_Agent doing anything about this? @Alan_K ? Interactions w/ support engineering have been less than stellar on the matter too.

Can you send me the account number of the lines that were affected? I will share with the team to look into it. @mh1983 

mh1983

mh1983

Thanks, @ChuckYeah and @n31295  -- appreciate the commiseration.

It is frustrating. I don't recall drops like this happening nearly to the same extent on other carriers (previously, Telus, Koodo). PM purports to have the same coverage as Telus, and while PM is a value/budget brand, I expect better than this.

Meanwhile, I've written the @CS_Agent  again and bumped my discussion with engineering .Would appreciate an official reply on whether this is a known issue and how it's being handled.

n31295

@mh1983 wrote:

I just had a work call drop at the 1 hr 19 min mark.

Ugh I'm sorry friend. I'm doing my port out tonight . What's worse is they told you it was fixed but it obviously isn't. 

So not fixed yet, I guess @mh1983 . I wonder what could cause that? Seems random.

mh1983

I just had a work call drop at the 1 hr 19 min mark.

mh1983

@n31295 wrote:

Thank you - they made a ticket already for me and the latency issue is what they came back with. After another really important business call dropped today, I'm officially done. 😞 I bought a Lucky mobile SIM card from Dollarama. I'm sad that PM didn't work out for me but luckily we have more options now in Canada!

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear you had to leave PM. 😞 Completely understand. If this kept happening to me, it'd be a deal breaker too. @CS_Agent are these increased call drops a known issue from your side.

n31295

Thank you - they made a ticket already for me and the latency issue is what they came back with. After another really important business call dropped today, I'm officially done. 😞 I bought a Lucky mobile SIM card from Dollarama. I'm sad that PM didn't work out for me but luckily we have more options now in Canada!

mh1983

I reported awhile ago:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Drop-Calls-every-after-57-minutes/td-p/...

I kept giving more specifics to PM moderators. They eventually got engineering to open a ticket and investigate. Allegedly they put in a fix, though I haven't had a longer call in awhile. 

Keep at PM moderators on this. The more of us who speak up and get tickets opened with engineering, the better.

Wouldn't latency be a network issue? And if it was, wouldn't it also be common throughout the Bell and Telus Networks and subsidiaries since they use the same grid???  

Bleu7

For many weeks I had the same call dropping. The calls were between 40 and 60 minutes.

n31295

I've been getting dropped calls since May. The mods looked into my logs and said its a latency issue and didn't give an estimated fix date. I'm porting out asap because I can't tolerate it anymore. Hope you get a better result than me.

denis2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I wish they could drop after 15 minutes sometimes,  especially when my sister callls,Smiley Tongue

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Random1 wrote:

I've been a Public Mobile user for over a year and while service has generally been great, any time I stay on a phone call for more than about 30-60 minutes, I'll get a dropped call. This has been happening for months, ever since I started with Public Mobile over a year ago, and I've had this experience calling a number of different people, so I'm quite confident the problem is on my end, not theirs. I've also had this same problem calling in different cities, not just always from one physical location. Short 5-10 minute calls almost never seem to have this problem, only relatively long ones.

This happened to me last night, the first time since I joined in summer 2016.  Happened at 57:03 into the call (got a really good deal on Bell Fibe Internet and Bell ALT+Premium TV selections).

I'm rarely on a call of any length over 10 minutes.  Usually, only support ticket calls to other service providers go beyond the 10 minutes.

Send a message to the Moderator_Team, to investigate.  In my case, it's a one-off, and I'm not concerned.

oglat

@will13am wrote:

@Random1 , calls longer than 2 hours getting dropped seems to be rather normal for me.  It was like this when I was with Wind, Rogers and Public.  This might be to prevent a connected call to be left connected all day long.  30-60 minutes seems rather short and should be investigated as suggested.

I agree that's too short, anybody who ever had to call gvmnt or insurance company knows that it won't take you through wait time sometimes

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Random1 , calls longer than 2 hours getting dropped seems to be rather normal for me.  It was like this when I was with Wind, Rogers and Public.  This might be to prevent a connected call to be left connected all day long.  30-60 minutes seems rather short and should be investigated as suggested.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Random1 wrote:

@Random1 It's possible that it could be a provisional issue with your account. Not sure how PM or Telus handles calls during a max circuit utilization condition. Best to message the moderator team and see what they say. Let us know.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Random1 wrote:

The problem was prevalent sseveral weeks back and the modertors suggested getting ahold of them if it happened...so do what @oglat suggested and contact a moderator. It could take up to 48 hours for a response, so please be patient. ..Click this to message moderator

oglat

Hi

You should contact moderators https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Some plans had this issue couple of months ago and many users were affected. 

Need Help? Let's chat.