cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked to bell cellphone

Dunn1961
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does the fact that my cell is still connected to my old provider matter ?

Do i have to unlock it ?

Please note that my contract is expired and i no longer even have a number with them.

14 REPLIES 14

mikuck23
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

you have to unlock the cell phone before using it with PM, yes its true that carriers are supposed to unlock for free but they make you wait on hold sometimes for a long time.  You can alternatively get an unlock code off ebay for 99cents depending on the phone and it comes quickly

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Alex888 wrote:
@mh1983Unlocking is free in Canada now, they are not allowed to charge you to unlock it. You can get an unlock code by contacting the provider the phone is locked to.

Good to know, thanks!

@mh1983 Unlocking is free in Canada now, they are not allowed to charge you to unlock it. You can get an unlock code by contacting the provider the phone is locked to.

Sharry19
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Riverman  If your phone is Locked then it has to be Unlocked first, please call your previous provider they will unlock it over the phone call 

Only after unlock you can use it with PM

*** Please note: I am not a Moderator ***

@jasmsing wrote:

For locked cell phones people are to call them and they will charge and provide with unlock code, once it is unlocked you can go with other carriers including pm

Canadian providers are required to do this without charge now.  All new phones must also come unlocked

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Riverman wrote:

My mistake, I know Public Mobile uses the shared Bell and Telus system, sorry never had a phone that's not unlocked.

@Riverman  if you're not sure, then please don't state it as fact.  Yes they share networks, but no locked phones from the "other" network don't work, in either direction.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Riverman

My mistake, I know Public Mobile uses the shared Bell and Telus system, sorry never had a phone that's not unlocked.

jasmsing
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

For locked cell phones people are to call them and they will charge and provide with unlock code, once it is unlocked you can go with other carriers including pm

mh1983

@Riverman wrote:

Your Bell phone does not have to be unlocked to work on PM, it will work just fine.

Patently false as pointed out already. Should be removed if possible so as to not mislead others.

Yes, locked-to-Bell phones need to be unlocked. Anything that's not already unlocked or is locked to Telus/Koodo needs to be unlocked.

You can get unlock codes relatively cheaply these days. You could try on Ebay, but just look for a reputable seller (99% + feedback, lots of sales, etc)

@Riverman wrote:

Your Bell phone does not have to be unlocked to work on PM, it will work just fine.

@Riverman, This is incorrect.  @Dunn1961 , If it is locked to Bell it DOES need to be unlocked to use on the PM/Telus Network

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dunn1961 wrote:

Do i have to unlock it ?

Please note that my contract is expired and i no longer even have a number with them.

Yes, you need to unlock your Bell phone before using with PM.

It does not matter whether you are with Bell or not.  Just call Bell to unlock your Bell phone.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Dunn1961 wrote:

Do i have to unlock it ?

What type of phone is it? If it's locked you can call them and they will provide you with an unlock code.

Pizzaeh

@Dunn1961 wrote:

Do i have to unlock it ?

Is your question about whether the phone can be used with Public Mobile?

You don't need/want to bring that old Bell number over to Public Mobile?

If it's an older (more than 2 or 3 years) phone that you purchase through Bell, it may be locked to Bell.  If it is locked, it would have to be unlocked first.  It's back on like Donkey Kong!

Riverman

[EDITED by Luddite: incorrect info struck through]

Need Help? Let's chat.