cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Located in Toronto. Any recommendations on getting an unlocked iPhone to use with Public Mobile?

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Public Mobile Users,

I am in the market for a new phone possibly to replace my 5s. I am considering the SE possibly. Is there any recommendations on where to get one in Canada or in particular around the Toronto Area?

Does anyone have any experience with getorchard.com? Factory Direct? Any other recommendations? I would prefer something in relatively like new or good condition.

I am weary about some of the eBay and Kijiji offerings unless anybody has some insight they could share.

Thank you again. Everybody I have dealt with so far has been very helpful.

18 REPLIES 18

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jarvar wrote:

Have you or anyone had any experience with toronto.cellular by chance? They seem to have a gray 128GB model of the SE for sale.

I haven't dealt with toronto.cellular before, but I'm adding them to my list of sellers to watch!!  Thanks!  With 17K/99.9% positive feedback, I'd be pretty comfortable buying from them.

Plus you're right... $250 is a really good price for a 128GB iPhone SE.  Hopefully the 9/10 turns out to be better than that!  They often are...

Jarvar

@CalgaryBen Have you or anyone had any experience with toronto.cellular by chance? They seem to have a gray 128GB model of the SE for sale. Wireless.Canada has the 64GB in Rose Gold which doesn't seem bad either, but the prices are $30 difference for double the storage space.

CalgaryBen

@popping wrote:

I will not buy any used phone when I can get a sealed-in-box phone from Koodo for $10+tax of $360 with full Apple warranty.

Fair enough, that's an excellent deal, especially if you find a phone that meets your needs!  The downside is that you reduce your selection of phones and specifications (e.g. memory) available to you, or if you're looking for something specific, you could be out of luck.  OP mentioned iPhone SE, so using your strategy would require a different carrier for similar Optimum pts, and some of the pricing/requirements are probably different.  Also only one they seem to have listed is 32GB, so if the OP wanted 64GB or 128GB, this might not be a suitable route.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I will not buy any used phone when I can get a sealed-in-box phone from Koodo for $10+tax of $360 with full Apple warranty. If I want, I can purchase Apple Care with the saving.

CalgaryBen
@Jarvar wrote:

I looked up wireless.canada and it looks like they have quite a few in stock,

but I could have the incorrect phones.n.more since not a lot pops up. Maybe one phone.

Using the eBay app (but not the website), you can use the search term "seller:phones.n.more iphone" in the search bar, or "seller:wireless.canada iphone".  Using the website requires an "Advanced Search" and then selecting "By Seller".  Looks like phones.n.more is located in Brampton, while canada.wireless is from Montreal.  Both often show up as endorsed sellers when eBay has discount codes.

When I ordered my first iPhone SE from phones.n.more, I selected "Grade A", and when I received it, it was immaculate -- not a knick or scratch or bump -- a 10/10.  The second time I ordered, I again selected "Grade A", but this time it was more of a 9 or 9.5/10, with a few signs of use.  But satisfactory, and I would buy again.  Both worked with all carrier SIM cards I had access to (including PM).

wireless.canada tends to have more "Grade B" stuff, although I've been impressed upon receipt -- it's usually at least as good as or better than what they claim.

And both tend to be priced competitively/better than sellers on Kijiji, without the headaches (in my experience)...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Jarvar, phone churning is not for everyone.  I suggest using red flag deals hot deals as a source for cheap phone options.  

Jarvar

@CalgaryBen

Thank you for this information. I will browse around when I have more time.

I do have an iPhone 5s as well which still works and everything, but if I get the SE then I could give it to a family member who is running a Samsung SGH-I727r which is really showing its age now. Surprisingly everything works and I was able to set it up with Public Mobile properly.

I looked up wireless.canada and it looks like they have quite a few in stock,

but I could have the incorrect phones.n.more since not a lot pops up. Maybe one phone.

I'll take a look into it.

I spoke with orchard and they mentioned that sometimes their phones are repaired and when they do they use 3rd party which meant Apple wouldn't repair it if I brought it to them. They couldn't guarantee that they hadn't used 3rd party parts so it's a risk. I do think they are supposed to have higher quality control, but I can't really be sure since they are used as well and they might have a history before they get it in their hands as well.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for some of the suggestions you gave.

I really appreciate it.

Thanks.

jp2

Yes that is the brand of phones I'm talking about. It's not cheap but they are good my coworker is still using the first edition. 

No frills is owned by loblaws so the PC optimum loyalty program should be compatible. I know it is in Alberta 

pakmode

@popping wrote:

@Jarvar

I got a Koodo iPhone 6 at The Mobile Shop(TMS) inside Superstore couple of weekend ago $0 on $240 small tab with 350,000 pts (=$350 in groceries at Superstore).  I activated the cheapest $30 plan and will stay for 3 months before cancel.

$350 free groceries

less: $30 connection fee

less: $90 stay for 3 months

less: $240 small tab

Net cost = $10 + tax of $360

You can use your new phone right way with PM SIM card.  

Don't use your new Koodo SIM card, pay $30 for 3 months and cancel to pay the $240 tab.

Details of 350k pts:

200k pts as offered on TMS website

100k pts weekend activation bonus

50k pts to trade-in an old flip phone

This is a great option if you're willing to put in a bit of work.

Walmart and Wow Mobile offer similar deals - which are usually ramped up on weekends.

Jarvar

@popping

Thank you for sharing the details with me. I will take a look into it. It could be an option. Takes a little more work calculating things and finding the best deal.

I don't shop at Supercentre much, but I do use No Frills which I think would accept these PC Optimum points so it could work.

I'll dig a little deeper into it.

Thanks.

Jarvar

@cappaj

I looked it up. Looks like there is some comparisons to the iPhone X

I found a website that has some more information about it. I think this is the phone @jp2 is talking about https://www.oneplus.com/ca_en/

cappaj

@jp2 wrote:

All of my previous phones I purchased from Bell because they were my carrier the next phone I'm looking a purchasing online from oneplus probably. 

The phone's can be unlocked it's just an extra step and some companies will give you a run around especially if you aren't a customer or if the person that had the phone didn't finish paying it off 

What's "oneplus"? I think I half-remember hearing others mention it but I'm drawing a blank...

popping

@Jarvar

I got a Koodo iPhone 6 at The Mobile Shop(TMS) inside Superstore couple of weekend ago $0 on $240 small tab with 350,000 pts (=$350 in groceries at Superstore).  I activated the cheapest $30 plan and will stay for 3 months before cancel.

$350 free groceries

less: $30 connection fee

less: $90 stay for 3 months

less: $240 small tab

Net cost = $10 + tax of $360

You can use your new phone right way with PM SIM card.  

Don't use your new Koodo SIM card, pay $30 for 3 months and cancel to pay the $240 tab.

Details of 350k pts:

200k pts as offered on TMS website

100k pts weekend activation bonus

50k pts to trade-in an old flip phone

CalgaryBen

@Jarvar wrote:

I am weary about some of the eBay and Kijiji offerings unless anybody has some insight they could share.

I have had excellent experiences with eBay sellers "phones.n.more" and "wireless.canada".  Both have free shipping, pretty much all phones are unlocked, and prices are really reasonable.  I had some issues with a phone from wireless.canada and they provided a pre-paid label for exchange, so I couldn't be more pleased.

Inventory with both fluctuates and changes week to week, so if they don't have the colour/size/grade you want, there's a chance they'll have it the following week.  "phones.n.more" came about maybe fall of last year (was a new seller) and I was not too sure, but after buying about 3 phones, he/she is my personal preference, and frequent new inventory.

I did exactly what you did ... replaced my 5s with the SE (just love the form-factor), and really happy with it (and still using it).  Did the same for friends and family who needed phones.  I'm definitely much more confident buying from these sellers than buying from Kijiji or even local shops (most stores here seem to have inflated prices).

jp2

All of my previous phones I purchased from Bell because they were my carrier the next phone I'm looking a purchasing online from oneplus probably. 

The phone's can be unlocked it's just an extra step and some companies will give you a run around especially if you aren't a customer or if the person that had the phone didn't finish paying it off 

Jarvar

@jp2

Did you get your phone online or somewhere? I don't mind ordering it within Canada. I just don't know if I am limited my sources to just a select too few.

Both of my phones seemed to be unlocked. The iPhone I have I purchased outright from the Apple store years ago unlocked. I've used it with Rogers, Roam Mobility abroad and now with Public Mobile without any issues.

We also have another Android in the family which seems to be unlocked. I thought it was eithers a Rogers or Koodo phone I picked up from my parents when they thought it was too old for them and they upgraded. However I used it with Rogers, and now we are using it with Public Mobile. When setting everything up though it showed Telus and Kood APNs already in the phone so I am wondering if it was actually a Koodo phone prior. Nonetheless, it seems to be an unlocked phone since it was on a Rogers network no Problem and now on the Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile family. Those are my assumptions anyways.

mimmo

Orchard is/was partnered with pm so they should be legit.

jp2

Unfortunately I'm no where close to there but what I will say is make sure it's unlocked. If your with PM it can be locked to the koodo or Telus network because it all owned by Telus but I would just get it unlocked if you want to move in the future 

Need Help? Let's chat.