cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: List of missing devices from Compatibility Checker

Please add the Packard Bell airPhone 5.7 (A5700).

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@KVaillant if this is the phone that you are  referring to https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/packard-bell-a5700-black-unlocked/13499503 I would not buy it. It will work because it has bands 2 and 5. But this phone is suitable for Rogers and will be outdated in a couple of years, since Rogers is retiring this technology.

Highlighted

Thank you gblackma, luckily the phone is still new and will return to BestBuy. Thank you for the information, appreciate it. 

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gblackma wrote:

@KVaillant if this is the phone that you are  referring to https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/packard-bell-a5700-black-unlocked/13499503 I would not buy it. It will work because it has bands 2 and 5. But this phone is suitable for Rogers and will be outdated in a couple of years, since Rogers is retiring this technology.

The Best Buy website says:

"GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; 4G HSPA+ 850, 1700/AWS, 1900, 2100 MHz; 4G LTE 2, 4, 5, 7, 17"

If this information is accurate, the phone is more than fine for Public Mobile.  I'll agreee that this is a budget device, and I can't speak as to the quality of it, but the frequency bands and network technologies that is supports are fine.

According to those specifications, this model not only supports all 3g bands that Public Mobile uses, but also supports Public Mobile's main LTE bands as well.

As to it being suitable for Rogers, I wouldn't say it's any more suitable for Rogers over Public. It's fine for either. The network that Rogers will decommisioning soon is the 2g network. This phone supports all of 2g GSM, 3g HSPA, and LTE and has bands for all three that would work on both Rogers and Public Mobile.

When it comes to band 2 and 5, that's all either Rogers or Telus use for 3g (HSPA). The phone also has bands 2 and 5 for 2g and LTE as well, according to the information provided by Best Buy.

@KVaillant 

As I was saying, this phone is fine for Public Mobile. You're free to return it within Best Buy's return policies, especially if you aren't satisfied with the product, but network compatibility isn't an issue.

Highlighted
Oracle

@gblackma wrote:

I would not buy this phone for other reasons.  Band compatibility is not one of them.  What do you know about 3G network obsolescence at Telus?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 which are the 3g bands? Isn't  GSM/GPRS/EDGE all 2g bands? Edit it seems edge is 3g allowing backward compatibility with 2g. Thanks.

Highlighted

If it is fine could someone direct me on how to get the LTE working. 
Again calls and texts work, wifi works but I get no service on LTE. 

Highlighted

@gblackma wrote:

@computergeek541 which are the 3g bands? Isn't  GSM/GPRS/EDGE all 2g bands? Thanks.

The Best Buy site says 3g HSPA bands 1, 2, 4, and 5.  Ignore the part that says "4g".  Whether it says 3g or 4g, they're just marketing terms.  HSPA is HSPA.  

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@KVaillant is there an option to enable 3g and 4g LTE  together? Click on the PM network bands option that says 3g or 4g and see whats behind it. Choose the one that has both 3g  and 4g LTE together. Stay safe.

@computergeek541 is my link to the phone the right one? Because, I dont see the 3g bands that you mention. Thanks. 

Highlighted

@gblackma wrote:

@computergeek541 is my link to the phone the right one? Because, I dont see the 3g bands that you mention. Thanks. 

Yes, the link is the right one, but I can't speak to as to if the information Best Buy has provded is accurate.

I added to my previous message to clarify.  The part that says "4G HSPA+ 850, 1700/AWS, 1900, 2100 MHz" shows that that is is compatible with Public Mobile's voice service. Those are the "3g" HSPA bands and otherwise known as bands 5, 4, 2, and 1.

The main problem with this phone isn't compatibility, but rather poor performance and much too high of a price (if $179.99 is what was paid).