cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of missing devices from Compatibility Checker

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi Community,

Thank you for the positive comments on the new phone compatibility checker. As you may know, we partnered with willmyphonework.net and utilize its extensive catalog of mobile devices. With that said, you’ve highlighted to us that there are devices that are not captured still, and we want to keep track of that here to provide feedback on a regular basis.

Please comment below your phone make and model that wasn’t found on our checker and we’ll be sharing on a monthly basis back to our partners.

Thanks,

Public Mobile Community Team

List of missing devices added (July 2019)

Click below to open the list of devices:

Spoiler
  • BlackBerry KeyOne 
  • BlackBerry Key2
  • BlackBerry Motion
  • OnePlus 7
  • Pixel 3a 
  • Moto G7 Play
  • Moto G Dual SIM
  • LG V20
  • LG V30
  • LG V40
  • Samsung Galaxy S10
  • Samsung Galaxy S10e
  • Samsung Galaxy A5
  • Samsung Galaxy A7
  • Samsung Galaxy A10
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 7

List of missing devices added (August 2019)

Click below to open the list of devices:

Spoiler
  • BLU Studio C6L
  • Maxwest nitro 4x
  • Motorola G7 Play
  • Nokia 5
  • ASUS Zenfone 5z
  • Palm Phone PVG100
  • STK Device Family (Coming soon)

153 REPLIES 153

tblaing
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Please add Motorola G8 Power Lite

@spud18  yes a referral code meaning a friend or family member referred you to Public Mobile. When you activate a sim card while signing up there is a spot to enter the code. You'll get $10 credit to your account for it that can be used on 2nd payment for your plan.

It sounds like you don't have one so if you look at top right of your page the envelope. That is your private message inbox. I sent you one if you want to use.

If you have any further questions we are here to help.

Once you have a sim card go to link below to activate.

https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

spud18

Thank you!  Still trying to figure out how this all works - referral code?

@spud18  yes it will work. Don't forget to use a referral code for a $10. Signup bonus.

spud18

What about the Samsung Galaxy A11 - SM-A11SM/D5?

valeria
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

moto g8 plus 

moto g8 power

dwt4543

You can add the LG X Power 2. I just joined Public Mobile a few days ago and so far so good 👍. Very happy to have made the switch and porting my number was a breeze.

rhirhimo

Moto G8 Power Lite 

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@geopublic wrote:

@KVaillant  Costco has a Moto G7 Play smartphone for $160.00.

Did that sale end yesterday, because I looked just now, and it shows $210?

I picked up one of these a few weeks ago, when it was on sale for $155, and am quite likin' it, so far. For those folks that detest larger notches, or NEED more RAM, then this phone isn't for you, but if your cell phone needs are more modest, it's pretty good. 👍

@srlawren wrote:

@KVaillant wrote:

I’ve tried the SIM card in both slots and tried LTE(Recommended) & 3 G Network types. Tried to add a APN but this isn’t allowed. And the Network Operator says to choose one but none work. Think I’ll just return this phone and get something else. Any suggestions for an Unlocked Android phone??

@KVaillant if you're looking for something in that same type of price level, the "good" options are a bit sparse.  @will13am do you have any suggestions in and around $210 CAD price point?  I think there's an Umidigi model you recommend in the $2xx range, no?  Other than that, maybe the Moto E series (haven't checked pricing in a while).  

The Umidigi F1 is available on Amazon in that price range.  It is not something I would go for simply because it is more than a year old.  This is not the right time of year for phone deals, maybe into Q4.  

@KVaillant  Costco has a Moto G7 Play smartphone for $160.00.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@KVaillant wrote:

I’ve tried the SIM card in both slots and tried LTE(Recommended) & 3 G Network types. Tried to add a APN but this isn’t allowed. And the Network Operator says to choose one but none work. Think I’ll just return this phone and get something else. Any suggestions for an Unlocked Android phone??

@KVaillant if you're looking for something in that same type of price level, the "good" options are a bit sparse.  @will13am do you have any suggestions in and around $210 CAD price point?  I think there's an Umidigi model you recommend in the $2xx range, no?  Other than that, maybe the Moto E series (haven't checked pricing in a while).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

KVaillant

@gblackma wrote:

@computergeek541 is my link to the phone the right one? Because, I dont see the 3g bands that you mention. Thanks. 

Yes, the link is the right one, but I can't speak to as to if the information Best Buy has provded is accurate.

I added to my previous message to clarify.  The part that says "4G HSPA+ 850, 1700/AWS, 1900, 2100 MHz" shows that that is is compatible with Public Mobile's voice service. Those are the "3g" HSPA bands and otherwise known as bands 5, 4, 2, and 1.

The main problem with this phone isn't compatibility, but rather poor performance and much too high of a price (if $179.99 is what was paid).

@KVaillant is there an option to enable 3g and 4g LTE  together? Click on the PM network bands option that says 3g or 4g and see whats behind it. Choose the one that has both 3g  and 4g LTE together. Stay safe.

@computergeek541 is my link to the phone the right one? Because, I dont see the 3g bands that you mention. Thanks. 

@gblackma wrote:

@computergeek541 which are the 3g bands? Isn't  GSM/GPRS/EDGE all 2g bands? Thanks.

The Best Buy site says 3g HSPA bands 1, 2, 4, and 5.  Ignore the part that says "4g".  Whether it says 3g or 4g, they're just marketing terms.  HSPA is HSPA.  

KVaillant

If it is fine could someone direct me on how to get the LTE working. 
Again calls and texts work, wifi works but I get no service on LTE. 

@computergeek541 which are the 3g bands? Isn't  GSM/GPRS/EDGE all 2g bands? Edit it seems edge is 3g allowing backward compatibility with 2g. Thanks.

@gblackma wrote:

@KVaillant if this is the phone that you are  referring to https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/packard-bell-a5700-black-unlocked/13499503 I would not buy it. It will work because it has bands 2 and 5. But this phone is suitable for Rogers and will be outdated in a couple of years, since Rogers is retiring this technology.

I would not buy this phone for other reasons.  Band compatibility is not one of them.  What do you know about 3G network obsolescence at Telus?

@gblackma wrote:

@KVaillant if this is the phone that you are  referring to https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/packard-bell-a5700-black-unlocked/13499503 I would not buy it. It will work because it has bands 2 and 5. But this phone is suitable for Rogers and will be outdated in a couple of years, since Rogers is retiring this technology.

The Best Buy website says:

"GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; 4G HSPA+ 850, 1700/AWS, 1900, 2100 MHz; 4G LTE 2, 4, 5, 7, 17"

If this information is accurate, the phone is more than fine for Public Mobile.  I'll agreee that this is a budget device, and I can't speak as to the quality of it, but the frequency bands and network technologies that is supports are fine.

According to those specifications, this model not only supports all 3g bands that Public Mobile uses, but also supports Public Mobile's main LTE bands as well.

As to it being suitable for Rogers, I wouldn't say it's any more suitable for Rogers over Public. It's fine for either. The network that Rogers will decommisioning soon is the 2g network. This phone supports all of 2g GSM, 3g HSPA, and LTE and has bands for all three that would work on both Rogers and Public Mobile.

When it comes to band 2 and 5, that's all either Rogers or Telus use for 3g (HSPA). The phone also has bands 2 and 5 for 2g and LTE as well, according to the information provided by Best Buy.

@KVaillant 

As I was saying, this phone is fine for Public Mobile. You're free to return it within Best Buy's return policies, especially if you aren't satisfied with the product, but network compatibility isn't an issue.

KVaillant

Thank you gblackma, luckily the phone is still new and will return to BestBuy. Thank you for the information, appreciate it. 

KVaillant

Please add the Packard Bell airPhone 5.7 (A5700).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Naepalm wrote:

 Site was KImovil

Weird they would show 2G if there isnt a 2G network lol

Ya mean not everything on the internet is true? I don't think that's true 🙂

Screenshot_20200706_074902_com.android.chrome.jpg

 Site was KImovil

Weird they would show 2G if there isnt a 2G network lol

@gblackma 

I'm thinking that could be frequencycheck.com.  They've been made aware that the information that they are presenting is wrong but don't seem to care.

@Naepalm isn't that checker from the Telus website? Thanks. Stay safe. 

@computergeek541 is correct - Telus/Public Mobile doesn't have any 2G network available in 2020. I would recommend either using the phone compatibility check on https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started or the https://willmyphonework.net/ website.

It is compatible based on these specs.

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_9s-10147.php

Make sure it is unlocked.

Need Help? Let's chat.