cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE is gone. Only getting 3G now.

fanfan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi, I am on the 90 day $120 with unlimited talk and 12gb LTE data plan. 

Using iPhone X. 

Been showing LTE signal on phone for last few years. 

A few weeks ago I went to California and bought USA voice and data add on.  Ever since I got back my phone only shows 3G.  Rebooted several times. Turned off data roaming. Not getting LTE signal anymore. 

Anyone have ave a solution?  Thanks. 

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Canada2021 wrote:

Hi there, what speeds do you get when performing a speedtest? 

It is not clear anywhere what 3G means for Public Mobile. 

@Canada2021 it looks like you were trying to be helpful, but please note that until your reply, this thread had been inactive for about 22 months.  I'm pretty sure the original issue is long resolved and/or forgotten by now.  FYI.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Canada2021 

If you run a speedtest on throttled 4G LTE you will get 2.9mbps/3mbps consistently. Run a speedtest on 3G you will get up to 20mbps depending on time of day, network traffic, tower location etc.... but the speed is very variable but closer to 7mbps or less. I don't dare run a speedtest on full 4G LTE as it can use 200mb to 500mb in one test. 4G LTE download speeds can reach 225mbps but average about 75mbps.

It is not advisable to run a speedtest using your data as it consumes alot of it.  PM uses Telus and Bell towers which are 4G but throttles the speed to 3G.

Canada2021
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there, what speeds do you get when performing a speedtest? 

It is not clear anywhere what 3G means for Public Mobile. 

mikuck23
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

have you tried resetting the network settings in the menu? in addition to all the other checks that have been posted so far

If 3G is always showing on your device, you may have (as suggested above) enabled 3G only in the settings by turning off LTE.  

My phone bounces between 3G and LTE signals all the time, mostly because I'm in areas routinely where LTE is not usable (bad construction materials for signals) or it's flipped to 3G for voice activity (PM doesn't have LTE Voice support).

I'm on the same plan as the OP.

@Alex888, this is not related to speeds. All plans should connect to LTE. Also, that plan is full LTE speed, for what it's worth.

@fanfan, have you confirmed LTE is enabled still on your device? Look under cellular settings. Make sure it's set to Data Only:

Next option would be to reset network settings.

It would be very unusual if LTE was unprovisioned on your account. You can always confirm by trying your SIM in another phone to further isolate the issue.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@fanfan Most Public Mobile plans use throttled LTE, depending on the connection it might show as LTE or 3G. Are you sure your supposed to be getting regular LTE speeds?

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
@fanfan: This is interesting. In my phone it keeps altering between 3G and LTE. I do not know a particular solution but there's a certain superstore I go and over there it becomes 3G for sure. I believe it has something to do with the location and which signals are available.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fanfan 

Is there a setting to choose which set of frequencies to use?

I can choose not to use LTE. I can choose to include GSM. etc

Need Help? Let's chat.