cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE bands

brr256
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, everyone.

I have a phone that would work on the LTE B7 (2600) but not on LTE B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1)...

Public Mobile (Telus) use B4.

Rogers and Bell use B7.

I'm surprised since Telus, in the past at least, used to ride a lot of the Bell towers to gain national coverage.  Why would they use a different band from the other two big players?

QUESTION:   Is there the possibility that Public Mobile (Telus) might add LTE B7 to their offering for people like me that buy unlocked phones that support B7 but not B4???  Does anyone know?

Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Silver1404 helpful suggestion, but the last activity on this thread before you brought it back form the dead was about 2 weeks shy of a year ago.  I'm pretty sure the issue has been resolved by now.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Silver1404

sorry, the app is called"network cell info lite"

Silver1404

Try an app called cell info lite to get much info on the bands and cells your cellphone is operating on, map included

domenicocortez
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
My xiaomi mi6 is already on band 7 (2600) with 4G+ with Lte discovery app here in Quebec city. 125 mb/s down and 25 mb/s up, Bell and Telus share the same band....

brr256
Sorry, guys, still waiting for it. I'm currently using the UMI Plus, and I love it!

Stickyjonz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
@brr256 I'm curious as well. I was thinking about getting that phone.

srlawren

@brr256 I see you marked this solved, thanks.  Did you get your Z1 Pro yet?  Working well?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@brr256@pakmode, @will13am
Telus and PM absolutely have access to B7 LTE. B7 can be used as non-CA or in CA mode ("LTE-Advanced") if the phone supports it. B7 is widely deployed in cities, but coverage is not as good as lower frequencies. Bell and Telus share all bands except B30.

If your phone's only LTE band is B7, you will have limited LTE coverage, especially indoors.

More info here:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/130581/page...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/130581

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks for all the great info here folks. 

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am oh yeah here's a posting of mine from February where I post some LTE Discovery widget screen caps, including a couple on band 7.  🙂

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Fun-with-LTE-Discovery-widget-LTE-ban...

I missed that one completely.  Out in the GTA, the number of bands used by Telus may be less.  Anyway, I will not know until I get a phone with more LTE bands. 

srlawren

@will13am oh yeah here's a posting of mine from February where I post some LTE Discovery widget screen caps, including a couple on band 7.  🙂

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Fun-with-LTE-Discovery-widget-LTE-ban...

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am that's not right.  Well most of what you said is right, except that we don't have access to band 7.  We do, indeed.  I've personally been on it, 100% sure.  And we do get LTE-A carrier aggregation.  So, I'm not sure where you're getting your info.

@brr256 band 4 (aws) is the "core" nation-wide band for Telus and Bell (and also Rogers).  they do deploy other bands in some areas/markets to add in additional coverage, better in-building penetration, etc.  Depending where you are physically located, you could get some band 7 signal.  But without band 4, we usually tell people not expect to be "stuck" on HSPA+ at least some of the time.  Out of curiosity, which phone?  I'm going to guess Mi 6?

It may have been an unverified assumption on my part.  I read that Telus was using band 7 for advanced LTE.  Anything that appears to be a top shelf feature I automatically assume to be unavailable to Public Mobile customers.  My phone does not have band 7 LTE support, so I can't check.

brr256

Thanks...   Right now its the UMI Plus, but I'm expecting the UMI Z1 Pro in the mail shortly.

srlawren

@will13am that's not right.  Well most of what you said is right, except that we don't have access to band 7.  We do, indeed.  I've personally been on it, 100% sure.  And we do get LTE-A carrier aggregation.  So, I'm not sure where you're getting your info.

@brr256 band 4 (aws) is the "core" nation-wide band for Telus and Bell (and also Rogers).  they do deploy other bands in some areas/markets to add in additional coverage, better in-building penetration, etc.  Depending where you are physically located, you could get some band 7 signal.  But without band 4, we usually tell people not expect to be "stuck" on HSPA+ at least some of the time.  Out of curiosity, which phone?  I'm going to guess Mi 6?

brr256

Well that's too bad...  This is to push heavy users onto the Telus plans, I assume?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@brr256 wrote:

Hello, everyone.

I have a phone that would work on the LTE B7 (2600) but not on LTE B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1)...

Public Mobile (Telus) use B4.

Rogers and Bell use B7.

I'm surprised since Telus, in the past at least, used to ride a lot of the Bell towers to gain national coverage.  Why would they use a different band from the other two big players?

QUESTION:   Is there the possibility that Public Mobile (Telus) might add LTE B7 to their offering for people like me that buy unlocked phones that support B7 but not B4???  Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Telus does deploy B7 LTE.  Unfortunately it's used for the so called Advanced LTE which public mobile does not have access to.  Public Mobile is focusing on primitive 3G these days.  Long story short, either use a phone with B4 LTE capability it expect to be on 3G most of the time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility

Need Help? Let's chat.