cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Velvet 5G

marceldion89
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey Guys,

So I am looking at the LG Velvet 5G, model # is LM-G900UM. I'm not over "techy" but my little bit of research seems as if this phone *should* work with PM, but I just want to have some other opinions on it before I move on the purchase.

Thanks in advance 

12 REPLIES 12

yes, if you got it new, should be easy.

for people who has used the LG phone on other network and then use it on PM, sometimes, they need to select network reset for it to work.   It a bit more work for LG than other brands for some reason

DinoWPG
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just bought an LG Velvet 5G model LM-G900UM (AT&T unlocked).

All I did was put my PM Sim into it and it works. I didn't need to change any settings.

DinoWPG
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I agree, my 3 phones were LG. Despite the fact they're pulling out, I'm debating between a G8 and Velvet as my next phone. The free 100GB of Google Drive space for 1-2 years is a nice perk.

Thanks for asking about the Velvet. Now I know it should be ok.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech wrote:

It looks good to me in terms of band

softech_0-1617815238792.png

One thing, LG is leaving the phone market.    It will continue to support the phones for awhile but I assume they won't put in too much effort  😞

Its a sad news for me, LG phones are not bad

It's terrible news really. We are basically left with Apple (I'll never step foot into that walled garden) or Samsung (overpriced, and has too many gimmicks). I miss the days where there was Sony, LG, HTC, Motorola, Blackberry, Nokia, Samsung, Apple, and many more companies all had decent offerings. Phone hardware is now more of monopoly than the service providers in Canada are. I'm almost inclined to go back to a basic flip phone...although I'm intrigued by that the next version of Microsoft's Surface Duo.

@marceldion89 

Virtually any device sold in the Canadian market will function fine on the public mobile network.

Just make sure it has these device capabilities:

Minimum recommended phone specs:

• 3G UMTS/W-CDMA/HSPA: B2 (1900) and B5 (850)
  • 4G FDD-LTE: B4, B12

Currently VoLTE is not available and voice calls are only on 3G. SMS and data can work on 3G or LTE. Fastest data speeds are on LTE.

For LTE, these are all of the available bands on the network: 2, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 29, 30, 66. Some bands are available in some locations, others available elsewhere.

Any phone you are considering should ideally have 3G B2, B5 and LTE B4 (or B66 instead of B4), B12 (or B17 instead of B12) for minimum coverage. If your phone does not have all recommended bands, you may have poor coverage / no service / slow data in some locations.

For LTE: B2, B7 will give you faster speeds. LTE B5 will give better indoor coverage in some downtown urban areas. The rest are not really necessary.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@marceldion89 :Also, since softtech has provided you with the answers to your phone compatibility questions, you might as well go ahead and choose his post as your accepted solution by clicking on the accepted solution button on his post above - doing this will help others in future who have same questions as you did.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@marceldion89 :There is also an online phone compatibility on this website you can use to check compatibility, just scroll down bottom of page and click activate SIM card then click on check phone or check compatibility.

for this phone, I am not certain if the exact mode you show us is an American version or not.   I do see it in Bestbuy, so I hope it is.

Either way, Both Global version and American version would work, but American version would be a lot better.

softech_0-1617816648279.png

marceldion89

Any idea if the TCL 10Pro - TC10P128GGY would be compatible?!

marceldion89

Wow I had no idea they were pulling the plug in their phones. Too bad. I've had a number of their phones and really liked them! Thanks for the info, may end up swaying my decision 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

It looks good to me in terms of band

softech_0-1617815238792.png

One thing, LG is leaving the phone market.    It will continue to support the phones for awhile but I assume they won't put in too much effort  😞

Its a sad news for me, LG phones are not bad

Need Help? Let's chat.