cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG V20 not receiving Oreo V 8 update

Doyle
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi I purchased a LGV20 H910 from Hong Kong that was supposed to be factory unlocked; after inserting the SIM card everything seems to work but the oreo update and LTE is not availble. Ther are a a number of AT&T apps on the phone; if I do a factory reset would that get rid of the AT&T stuff and allow me to upgrade to Oreo or would that reset it to the AT&T lock? Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

I believe you say the PM sim works in the phone.  This means it’s not locked to AT&T.

A factory reset will just put the AT&T preloaded ROM back on.

You can root your device, and look for a custom ROM which includes the latest Ed OREO or Pi versions, but you will risk bricking your device.

The good news is, many LG phones are easy to root, and use custom ROMs.

Doyle

AT&T has rolled out the Oreo update a few months ago; does it matter if the SIM card has been activated? Do I need a US IP adress to activate it in Canada?

Doyle

I called AT&T to see if their prepaid SIM card would work but they said as Canadian I cannot order them by mail; if I can find a local card, will I be able to activate it in Canada and download Oreo and Pie? I guess my preferred option would be to permanently unlock it so that a hard reset gives me a frsh OS without the bloatware. Is this possible without rooting it? Thanks

Cezfire

I have purchased unlocked phones before from Hong Kong. There are a couple of things you should know regarding this. Usually bloatwear comes from the companies that the phone you purchased was bought at.

Bloatwear can usually be taken off only if it's rooted and not with a hard reset. 

The upgrade to Oreo would be based on several factors: First if the phone will get the update. Second, if the company that the phone was purchased from has already released the upgrade for that specific phone. Finally, where the phone was from would also affect when the distribution of the upgrade.

Sometimes it is really stressful to be looking for all this information, but it is usually pretty easy to find details if it will be ported or not, but finding dates for the upgrades to be released are usually hard to pin point. 

@Doyle wrote:

yes I saw that post, but this is not an option for me; is there a chance that removing the bloatware will make the upate available? I am tempted to do a hardware reset; how do I find out wether it is permantely unlocked?

Carrier phones locked or unlocked is still tethered to a carrier.  If you search through these forums you will see that I have left a lot of distaste for carrier phones for this very reason.  Try locating any dead AT& T SIM card from somewhere and have it in the phone when checking for updates.  That may be enough to fool the system into releasing the update to your phone. 

@Doyle wrote:

yes I saw that post, but this is not an option for me; is there a chance that removing the bloatware will make the upate available? I am tempted to do a hardware reset; how do I find out wether it is permantely unlocked?

According to that post, it suggest that the phone is unlocked and you were able to get signal with Public Mobile sim. So phone is unlocked, but the imei is associated with AT&T and i do not see any other way to get the update unless you want to install stock ROM on it. 

Doyle

@Doyle As for the Oreo update, here are some info: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Android/AT-amp-T-LG-V20-will-not-Update-to-Android-Oreo-8-0/m-...

It looks like you will need to be on AT&T network to get the update as it gets pushed from carriers rather than LG. 

@Doyle wrote:

Hi, that is what I thought; how do I find out if it was permanently unlocked or not? Thanks

Since Public Mobile sim worked, it looks to be unlocked. Try different carrier sim. If it works on 2 or more carrier, then it's unlocked. Or there might be an online checker. 

Doyle

Hi, that is what I thought; how do I find out if it was permanently unlocked or not? Thanks

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Are you sure it's a genuine LG phone? If it supposed to be unlocked, it shouldn't have any bloatware on it. 

EDIT: seee below

Need Help? Let's chat.