cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G6 H873 Losing Network Connection

rfg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife recently purchased an LG G6 H873 on eBay.  It immediately worked with Public Mobile without any configuration.  

However, after a day or so, the phone had no mobile signal and could not send/receive calls or texts.  As if it just disconnected completely from Public Mobile.  The only way to get it working again is to restart the phone.  It connects to Public Mobile instantly upon restart.

So far I've tried reseating the SIM card, manually configuring the APN using settings provided multiple times in this forum, and I've reset all network settings to default.  All result in the phone working for several hours and then suddenly losing the mobile connection.

The next step is to perform a factory reset, but I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion before I go that far.

My wife's old phone was an LG G4 H810 which she used with Public Mobile for over a year without issue (same SIM card).

Has anyone experienced this same issue with this phone?  And do you have any suggestions to help resolve this?  Thanks very much!

17 REPLIES 17

rfg

Great news!  My stubbornness paid off.  The phone has been problem free for 48 hours now.  Here's what I did to resolve the issue:

Check for updates.  Settings > System > Update Center.  In the "App Updates" option I saw no available updates when connected to WiFi.  After disconnecting WiFi and using the Public Mobile data connection, there was an available update called "com.android.carrierconfig".  I updated this and rebooted the phone.  That's it.

Weird that this update was not available over WiFi.  I hope that this helps for anyone else who is experiencing this same issue.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

@rfg  Again hate to say it but it's a hardware issue. To verify try that sim in another phone and see if it disconnects.

rfg

Never mind.  It disconnected again this morning.  No calls, no texts, and no notification on the phone showing an issue.  The radio still shows bars but doesn't show an "LTE" or "H+" badge.  Puzzling, as it seems more like it's getting kicked off the network than a defect.

Might contact a moderator to see if there's anything they can look into on their end.

rfg

It seems the issue has been resolved!  It's been well over 24 hours and the phone has not dropped the mobile network.

I had done a network reset twice previously and used manual APN settings without success.  Third time's the charm, I guess.

Here is the process that worked this time around:

- Reset Network settings

- Set manual APN using the settings found here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

- Clear cache (I hadn't done this on my previous attempts).  There's no way to do this with a custom recovery or anything similar on this model, so I was doubtful that this would be effective.  You can do a Google search for this as I don't really want to post an external link.

- Reboot and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!  

Dommers30
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I will try this thank you 

@Dommers30 you would have to do a network reset and sometimes a factory reset is required  for LG phones to work properly on PM.  Stay safe. 

Dommers30
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello there, i too have purchased a LG G6 and i put my old sim in it and still no signal and it says sim not inserted its a canadian phone from bell .... It is unlocked ...plz help...

@rfg  It shouldn't matter if you have the sim in the phone during the initial setup.

I hope I'm wrong but it looks like the phone is defective.

rfg

Yes, I had to set it up as a new phone.  As an added measure, I did a factory reset again before setting it up.  However, I hadn't inserted the PM SIM card until after the phone was set up with all my wife's files and apps.  Maybe I should have had the SIM card installed during set up?  Further testing will tell.

I've since done another network reset, set a manual APN, cleared cache and restarted.  So far so good, but I've been down this road before.

I hope it's not defective as the eBay seller seems to have disappeared.  I'll report back after further testing. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@rfg  More than likely the eBay seller did a factory reset before selling the phone. When you received that phone didn't you have to set it up as a new phone? Sounds like the phone is defective and has antenna issues hopefully you can return it for a refund.

LG are famous for weak soldering on their mobile motherboard devices.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@rfg 

I agree with @Dunkman suggestion.

Backup everything on the LG G6 and perform a factory reset.

Network reset first.  If no avail, factory reset usually will fix the problem.  

LG phone is known with this issue after switching provider.

Good luck and report result.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@rfg 

APN settings are important for data, but should not affect calling.  

If network reset does not help, factory reset is the next step.  If that does not work, might need to send the phone back.  Defective phone?  Maybe try another different active SIM card in the phone to see whether it is the same problem.  

@gpixel The LG H873 only has one sim card slot. It's the Canadian version of the LG G6.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@rfg update your phone to the latest android version. update your carrier services app from Google. factory reset is a great idea especially since it's a new device. 

@computergeek541 lol thanks

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rfg hello I would send it back myself 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@rfg Try resetting the network settings. Lgs to work properly on PM sometime require at minimum a network reset and sometimes a factory reset. Once you are finished reentert he network settings and save and restart the phone.  Stay safe. 

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@rfg wrote:

My wife recently purchased an LG G6 H873 on eBay.  It immediately worked with Public Mobile without any configuration.  

However, after a day or so, the phone had no mobile signal and could not send/receive calls or texts.  As if it just disconnected completely from Public Mobile.  The only way to get it working again is to restart the phone.  It connects to Public Mobile instantly upon restart.

So far I've tried reseating the SIM card, manually configuring the APN using settings provided multiple times in this forum, and I've reset all network settings to default.  All result in the phone working for several hours and then suddenly losing the mobile connection.

The next step is to perform a factory reset, but I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion before I go that far.

My wife's old phone was an LG G4 H810 which she used with Public Mobile for over a year without issue (same SIM card).

Has anyone experienced this same issue with this phone?  And do you have any suggestions to help resolve this?  Thanks very much!

@rfg hi  try a network reset

Need Help? Let's chat.