cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G4 No data. :-(

KK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Phone is unlocked.  Data permitted. Call and texting work.  APN settings did not auto populate so entered them per forum (trying various suggestions for APN type), reset network settings.  Data works fine when my Koodo sim inserted or hubby's Rogers Sim or my Sims used when I traveled in China, USA and Mexico. Restarted phone many, many times. Manually selected Public Mobile Network.   Have NOT factory reset phone because that honestly seems perverse.  IMO that shouldn't be a reasonable solution (even if it is an effective one.). Is there a less extreme suggestion?

19 REPLIES 19

queenbee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

While @KK may have resolved their problem, it has proven immensely helpful for those of us who are trying to solve the same problem. So thanks for the imput @Canjc1995

@Canjc1995 wrote:

Try putting the apn settings in manually. 

Please realize that the specific mesaage that you replied to is dated August 20, 2016.  More than 3 years later, @KK would have already fixed this or be using a different device.

Canjc1995
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Try putting the apn settings in manually. 

rfg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I know this is an old thread and a factory reset is the accepted solution.  But, I recently signed my wife up on Public Mobile (transferred from Koodo) and was worried that I'd have to do a factory reset on her phone because it's an LG G4.  Instead all I had to do was manually set the APN from the info on at this link https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile and data started working immediately!

Although my wife's phone is an LG G4, it is the H810 AT&T Version, which I haven't seen any comments in the forum about as of yet.  I purchased it on eBay a few years back.  So, if you're looking at purchasing a G4 to use on Public Mobile, I can confirm that the H810 version works without a factory reset.

babababa

Thank you my friend.. That worked on the Nexus 4, even though the self populated APN was correct.. so all is good with my account, last step is now to wipe my G4. sucks

KK
Try deleting the self-populated APN and manually entering the APN settings. Even though the settings exactly the same, this has worked for some people. Idk why. Also, make sure Network mode set to 3G in the phone settings. (Since your phone is 3G only.

babababa

The other frustrating thing is that I have factory unlocked Nexus 4, and Data is not working there too.. but Nexus 4 does not support LTE, so that might be the problem.. APN is setup correctly but only calls/text, no data. I factory reset it twice and no luck

babababa

Thanks for the reply.. this is horrible my friend.. I was thinking about calling LG but you broke my world completely now..  Reseting to factory default is a lot of work.. Sad and with no root it sucks big time.. very disappointed by LG. And you cant backup the apps with their settings right?

What did LG say about it when you called them/ sent it for repairs.. twice?! I am seriously considering going back to Koodo or just sell the G4..

KK
Hello, I have LG G4 too. Factory reset is only solution. Trust me. I called LG and sent my phone in twice for repairs. The issue isn't Public Mobile. The LG G4 will let you change your SIM once per factory reset. So first and second SIM will work without issue. The first SIM will always work. The second SIM will usually not work for data once you put first SIM back in. I have reset my phone three times now because I travel alot. Note: I was using carrier SIM for monthly plan before. I thin this might not be an issue now if I only ever use pay as you go SIMs from now on. But I don't know that yet for sure.

babababa

Hey guys, any solution other than factory reset? LG G4 is the worst phone of all times Smiley Sad No root on Marshmallow and now this.. How can you mess up the APN settings that much Smiley Sad 

If I do the LG backup, it wont save the settings for the apps.. correct? Smiley Sad I need root for that.. Once I restore from backup it will install the APK's as if I install them for the first time..

I stopped at a wind mobile store earlier today and my data was not working with wind mobile sim.. calls and texts were ok.. my LG G4 H812 is unlocked Smiley Sad I regret porting my number from Koodo

And of course no reply to my emails from Public Mobile for 10 days.. but I have a welcome survey email from them lol

KK

Check out the CRTC.   I have 15 days. :).  Here's a link to the basic list of consumer rights.   But poke around the website.  You will find it enlightening.   http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/prepay.htm   I've successfully used their services before.  

@KK Thank you for the update, but unfortunately, i don't think you will get refund for the service you joined with Public Mobile as it is a pre-paid service.

With Public Mobile, no one is on a contract 🙂

Your account will stay suspended/deactivate for 90 days. If you don't get your phone back, make sure to renew with any cheaper plan like $10 text only to extend your account status. 

KK

Mixed success.  I factory reset the phone a few more times and I discovered that if I did not restore the phone before setting up the SIM/data, the APN autopopulated, data worked and this survived a later restore.  However, I was once again unable to switch between SIM cards.  Now no other SIM card would work.  Good solution, if you don't change SIMS often but not so much if you travel lots and need to change SIMS frequently.

FYI,  I contacted LG Canada and they consider this to be a warranty issue.  They do not think this is related to the Public Mobile service specifically. While I haven't ever had this issue before, my Roger SIM data no longer works either. 

I will need to cancel my contract before the 15 day period is up for a refund until I can get my phone back from warranty and prevent the transfer of my phone number.  However, it has already been 4 days and I haven't heard back from Public Mobile and am getting worried.  Has anyone had any luck actually speaking to a human being or having a direct email conversation?

KK

So I took the nuclear option and factory reset phone.  No success and my restore from backup was rather dismal as my phone settings did NOT restore and apparently if your apps are saved to SD card they do not restore/work after reset. Mine were.  So watch out for that if you are in same boat.  

Also, I had two emails out as of Friday, I thought response time was 48 hours?  Is this unusual. ?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @KK,

Unfortunately, this is a known issue with the LG G4, and the only thing that seems to resolve it is a factory reset.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/having-some-trouble-setting-up-data/m-p/65...

Here are some reference threads that may help:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Unable-to-get-data-working-on-lg-g4/m-...

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/LG-G4-not-connected-to-cellular-data/m...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @KK

I'm sorry to hear that your data is not working.

Looking through your account details, I can confirm that your data plan is in fact active and everything is properly provisioned in your account.

If the APN settings are configured accordingly, try to turn the phone off, remove the SIM for a few seconds, reinsert it and then power back on.

Should the issue persists, you will need to reset it as mentioned. 

Please let us know of the results,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Before you factory reset, let staff member take a look and see if there is anything wrong. 

@Shazia_K @Mary_M

KK

Sorry, that I didn't make it abundantly clear.......yes, the APN settings are correct, mobile data is on, data is permitted, network mode is LTE, the phone sees and connects to the public mobility network, call and texting work.  The APN was taken directly from this website and confirmed on outside sources.  I travel frequently so I have set up many APN's.  The only suggestion from this forum I hadn't tried was resetting the network settings.   This was also unsuccessful.   The one thing I haven't tried is factory resetting the phone because, while that might work, I sincerely hope that it is not the required solution.  That would make me very crabby.  :(.  

FYI to other crabby LG G4 owners, factory resetting phone has been successful for a number of LG G4 owners and at least one Motorola owner in these forums for accessing data. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Most of the time when data is not working, its related to APN settings. So make sure you have entered it correctly and its selected. Also make sure LTE/4G is selected. 

If it still doesn't work, it might be account related issue that only staff member can fix. 

Let us know if you are still unable to use data on your phone. 

Need Help? Let's chat.