cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep dropping off cellular network

Moniker
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been using my OnePlus 5 on the Public Mobile network for about a year without seeing this sort of issue until now.  My phone keeps disconnecting or resetting it's connection to the cellular network.  I see it is connected to 4G or 4G+, then an exclamation mark.  When doing a speedtest, the speeds are excellent then the test fails before it completes saying the connection dropped.  I have tried moving the SIM to the other slot in my phone and tried it in an LG G6, same issue.  

Could someone confirm the account functionality on the back end or suggest recourse for replacing the SIM if it is suspect?  

16 REPLIES 16

Moniker

geopublic, respectfully, I've removed your comment as the solution.  You deserve bravo for the suggestion but I am getting no traction resolving this issue, which continues however not so consistently as originally, and I don't want the problem to be perceived as solved.  

Moniker

I've had the phone drop off the cellular network a few times, usually a few weeks between drops, resolved by a reboot.  It's not uncommon for a call to drop for me when travelling down the highway.  I assume this happens when the phone is switching between towers.  I honestly kind of expect this occasional disruption from PM.  My original post was more frustrated at the data disconnecting constantly - I tried dozens of speed tests on different phones with this SIM card and couldn't complete a single one because it was disconnecting so frequently.  

The constant disconnection seems to be gone.  I did receive an email from Moderator on Sunday to 'authenticate and secure account access', which I did, but haven't heard anything since.  

joelmine
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Guys .. please join this thread as many others are having the same issue 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Phone-Calls-dropping-after-sometime/m...

Thread title : Phone Calls dropping after sometime.

PlanShopper
I have the issue across 5 different phones. Escalated a ticket 2+ weeks ago and chatted with 1st and 2nd line support. Their solution was either a hardware problem (Reminder, this is across 5 different phones), or they recommended switching to Koodo.

I hope if everyone submits tickets for dropped calls that they will actually put some effort into diagnosing the issue then just pass the buck.

Looks like Lucky Mobile and/or Fizz may be getting a large wealth of users incoming.

Sher39

I was on a conference call yesterday and the phone call dropped 5 times during the conversation. I am using an LG K20 plus phone. I restarted my phone . And tried to phone my friend back and after 2 minutes of chatting, the phone disconnected again. It’s quite frustrating. I am in Toronto by the way. 

Moniker

I ruled the antenna out when I tried my SIM in a different phone. The reception strength suggestion is fair but I am in a major city area with great Telus tower coverage and my tests were repeatedly 40/9 Mbps down/up while the tests were failing due to disconnection. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Moniker wrote:

Hey joelmine, the problem actually persists. As I've thought about it, I've been having ongoing issues with connectivity for months, just not with such frequency as today. GPS navigation is unreliable as it keeps having to reset the network connection then relocate. I received no response to my private message to moderators. 

Which leads me to wonder about maybe a flaky antenna in the phone. Or weak reception.

You can often download maps for offline navigation so as to not need data.

Moniker

Hey joelmine, the problem actually persists. As I've thought about it, I've been having ongoing issues with connectivity for months, just not with such frequency as today. GPS navigation is unreliable as it keeps having to reset the network connection then relocate. I received no response to my private message to moderators. 

joelmine

Shazia_K  are you aware of this issue ? Multiple users are experiencing call drops. Could someone in support look into this immediately? 

joelmine

@Moniker wrote:

Not at all.  If there was a known network issue of which my symptoms were collateral damage and it was resolved, I consider that an active resolution albeit not specific to me.  

HI Moniker, When was the issue ? I dont see any announcements on any network issue for the last few days .. Do you know whats been done ? 

Moniker

Not at all.  If there was a known network issue of which my symptoms were collateral damage and it was resolved, I consider that an active resolution albeit not specific to me.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Moniker wrote:

Thanks geopublic.  This is exactly what I'd already done.  The problem was persistent for perhaps an hour and this was my first post so I was learning the ropes.  Whether it was transient or has been actively resolved, the phone is working normally again.  

Well I hope the impression isn't that the mere act of sending a message fixed the problem. 🙂

@joelmine wrote:

The same is happening on my phone too .. I noticed this happening since a week now. I am using onePLus6. I think its a network issue. Also my calls keep dropping after sometime. TOday i had so many call drops and could not even talk properly. 

@joelmine  The same applies to your situation just use the same link from the previous post to notify the Public Mobile Team if it's still a problem.

Moniker

Thanks geopublic.  This is exactly what I'd already done.  The problem was persistent for perhaps an hour and this was my first post so I was learning the ropes.  Whether it was transient or has been actively resolved, the phone is working normally again.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Moniker wrote:

I have been using my OnePlus 5 on the Public Mobile network for about a year without seeing this sort of issue until now.  My phone keeps disconnecting or resetting it's connection to the cellular network.  I see it is connected to 4G or 4G+, then an exclamation mark.  When doing a speedtest, the speeds are excellent then the test fails before it completes saying the connection dropped.  I have tried moving the SIM to the other slot in my phone and tried it in an LG G6, same issue.  

Could someone confirm the account functionality on the back end or suggest recourse for replacing the SIM if it is suspect?  

@MonikerThe fact that it's happening on both phones suggests that it's a network issue or your account needs to be reset. The best thing to do is to click here to notify the Public Mobile team of the issue. Please provide all the information and they will be able to troubleshoot if it's an account issue.

The link above sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am(Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm(Eastern).

Hope this helps!

joelmine

The same is happening on my phone too .. I noticed this happening since a week now. I am using onePLus6. I think its a network issue. Also my calls keep dropping after sometime. TOday i had so many call drops and could not even talk properly. 

Need Help? Let's chat.