cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jethro 3G Model SC318v2 Incoming Calls go straight to Voice Mail Intermittently

Ron2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We got this phone for my elderly mother and are having some issues with it.

Jethro 3G Model SC318v2

It can call out without issue, but about 1/3 of the incoming calls go straight to voicemail without it even ringing. Do you have any suggestions or tips on what to check in the setup for issues? We have extended the ring time before going to voicemail to the maximum 30 seconds, and have activated the long term absence so voicmail messages cannot be left. However this issue of incoming calls intermittently going straight to voicemail existed before and after these changes. 

14 REPLIES 14

Korth
Mayor / Maire

The obvious guesses are low signal (when is moved in or through signal-blocked areas), low battery power (which makes the phone unable to respond to calls), damaged hardware (intermittent failure of antenna/whatever), or bad settings (in operating system, dialing app, contacts app, or off-device voicemail) .

You can troubleshoot or correct device-side problems - or test whether they still occur when using another known-to-work device - but Public cannot do anything about device malfunctions, they can only fix network-side issues. 

Ron2

There was no ported number involved. It is a new number assigned by Public Mobile.

Have narrowed the problem down a bit more. It seems that if the phone has been turned off and back on again, the first call rings for 30 seconds and then goes to voice mail. If you call again it goes directly to voice mail. It seems as if the phone does not "hang up" if it has sent the previous call to voice mail. Does that suggest any particular issue?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Ron2

If you did a Mobile Number Port...

... If the MNP isn't yet complete (on both old and new carriers) then some incoming calls might go old number or new number or simply be "lost"... and nothing you can except wait until it all sorts itself out (can take 5 mins, can take up to 30 days, usually takes only a day or three at most).

... If your ported number was originally out-of-province then your number might be "long distance" for some callers in current or previous province (regardless whether or not they normally have some sort of "Canada-wide" calling)... they can try dialing your number with "+1" Canada Long-Distance prefix (which might or might not be billed to them as long distance calling)... again, this is something which often (but not always) sorts itself out after a while during a number port.

If you didn't do a MNP then I dunno, lol. But I agree with those above who say that because it works properly for some calls then it's not a phone-incompatibility issue. You can't have partial compatibility for voice calls, it all works or it all doesn't. 

@Ron2  Best to make a copy of her contacts then reset the phone to factory defaults and start over by inserting the PM sim and going through the deep again.

@Ron2 it supports WCDMA 850 and 1900, so compatibility is not the issue.

https://www.jethroshop.com/sc318v2support

Ron2

In the Jethro 3G manual there is a place where you can set up the Voicemail number to call. There is two alternatives. One is to use the general number with requires a password to get to the correct voicemail account. The other option is to uses a "voicemail retreval number" which requires no password. However, you have to get that from your service provider which would be Public Mobile in this case. Does Public Mobile do this, and if so how do you get this voicemail retreval number?

I am thinking that there may be something not set up properly in the phone part of the voicemail which is rejecting incoming calls.

Ron2

The calls that were not connecting were from contacts in the contact list. In any case I'm quite sure that feature was not turned on, if it is even there.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Ron2  some phones have a filter to only allow only calls that are in the devices contact list. Maybe check the settings to ensure that feature was turned on.

Ron2

Will try the sim card switch and see what happens. 

Also, I'm not very familiar with different phones, but many of them have a feature that if you volume all the way and press volume one more time it will go into do not disturb mode. I kept accidentally voluming down and getting there while handling a phone.

Also, does check her blocked list, it's easy to block ppl accidentally. 

There is a link to apn settings for various phones and providers, but that is not gonna help with calls only with data

Could you please put her sim card in your phone and test the calls, just to rule out the problem with sim/account

Ron2

The signal was 3 bars in the personal care home she is in. I use Public Mobile as well as my brother. We had no issues with incoming calls on our Android and iPhones. 

I have a recollection of a website somewhere that gives specific phone settings. The link to it is in an obscure place (or what I recall) part way through the setup of a new phone process. You look up your specific phone and it gives the detailed settings required. I believe this phone was set up at Walmart, probably by just inserting the SIM card and turning it on. Do you know where I can find that link to the website? It was not the compatibility link, but one to specific settings by phone. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you have another phone then try swapping the sim to test it to see if calls come through.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The fact that you are able to make and at least receive some calls means it is not a phone compatibility problem.  The calls going to voice mail may be due to connectivity issues where the network thinks the phone is disconnected.  It could be software problems on the phone and not being able to properly receive a call.  Intermittent problems are really difficult to nail down.  How is the signal strength in your area?

Need Help? Let's chat.