cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with MMS messages on my phone

SamsungGirl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I am unable to receive photo text messages on my Samsung Galaxy A70. In order for me to receive and view pics in text, I have to enable my mobile data. That works some of the time, but other times the sender tells me that the pic they sent me was rejected and returned to them. Every other phone I've owned never had this issue. I do not have a data plan with Public Mobile and I was advised that this may be the problem. I I Googled how to resolve this, and it said to reset the access point names to the system default (which I have), but I still need to enable my mobile data to view pictures. I was told that I may need to contact my provider about this issue. Do I need a data plan in order to send & receive photos in text messages?

5 REPLIES 5

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@SamsungGirl 

You should enable data because the data usage on PM MMS does not count toward your monthly data quota.

@computergeek541  I gave that screenshot because it has different settings. That is what is on my phone. I am presuming the ones they have are proxy 74.49.0.18. That's given me issues in the past also. I don't know why.

MMS proxy is a link instead of 74.49.0.18 and MMS port is 8799 instead of 80 along with a few other differences.

It's worth a shot to try no?

@Jb456 wrote:

Try adding these apn setting to see if it resolves the issue.

Screenshot_20200617_075827.jpg

Since the picture messages do sometimes get received, the APN would already be correct.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

No you do not need a data plan but yes you have to have data turned on to send and receive MMS. 

If you're data is turned off and someone sends you an MMS. You should still get a notification it would say something like "download now" then you have to turn your data on to get the MMS. It shouldn't be bounced back to the sender.

Try adding these apn setting to see if it resolves the issue.

Screenshot_20200617_075827.jpg

@SamsungGirl wrote:

Hi, I am unable to receive photo text messages on my Samsung Galaxy A70. In order for me to receive and view pics in text, I have to enable my mobile data. That works some of the time, but other times the sender tells me that the pic they sent me was rejected and returned to them. Every other phone I've owned never had this issue. I do not have a data plan with Public Mobile and I was advised that this may be the problem. I I Googled how to resolve this, and it said to reset the access point names to the system default (which I have), but I still need to enable my mobile data to view pictures. I was told that I may need to contact my provider about this issue. Do I need a data plan in order to send & receive photos in text messages?

Data does need to be enabled to send or receive MMS.  Please note that when there's a photo, that isn't a text message.

As for pictures being sent by your friend showing him an error message, that really sounds to me to be an issue with either your friend's phone or service. To my knowledge, if I try and send an MMS message to someone who doesn't even have the ability set up on the phone, the person sending it would have no idea about that.

Need Help? Let's chat.