cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to move my text messages to my new phone?

G6
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I bit the bullet and upgraded from a Moto G6 Play to a LG G8x.

Many of the settings moved themselves but the text messages did not. Is there a way to move them (preferably not complicated)?

9 REPLIES 9

Hi @on2wheels 

check this:

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-back-up-restore-text-messages-android

It talks about Google Drive backup as well as SMS Backup & Restore by SyncTech Pty Ltd 

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Has anyone gotten the google Drive backup of sms/mms messages to work?  I have a Pixel 4a and I forced a backup of the entire phone last week, and I can see in Drive that sms was backed up.  Seeing that I did a factory reset but none of the sms were restored.  I asked Google and they said it can take up to 48hrs to complete.  That time has passed and still no recovered messages.  Sadly I didn't look into a backup app before this.  

At this point I'm not sure if I didn't accept the right permission when I added my account back after the reset, but I'm savvy enough to see these things, or so I thought.  Or if there's some obscure toggle switch in the phone that needs to be on for sms backups to recover.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@softech wrote:

@G6   yes, check around Google Play store and there are some apps helping for this.  One of them you can try is  SMS Backup & Restore:

+1 for sms backup and restore.  I have used the app.  It works well and is easy to use.  

+1 again.  I have mine doing weekly backups to my Google Drive as well, but just do an on-demand backup when I'm changing devices.

Some manufacturers (Samsung and OnePlus come to mind) include utilities on your new phone to help you transfer stuff without additional tools, and I think most/all include copying SMS texts.  I'm not sure about LG though.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I've been using backup and restore for very long time now with no issues.

I did use Google messages can be used for that too

Super Backup for Android.

Besides backing up SMS it has few other useful backups plus phone recorder.

@softech wrote:

@G6   yes, check around Google Play store and there are some apps helping for this.  One of them you can try is  SMS Backup & Restore:

+1 for sms backup and restore.  I have used the app.  It works well and is easy to use.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

maybe that help you visit HERE

or HERE 

Good Luck

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Anonymous
Not applicable

@G6 : I typed - copy text conversations to another phone - into a search engine and found several likely possibilities. Have a look.

Need Help? Let's chat.